Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 very slow with IOS 11 update

After receiving IOS 11.01.1 on my MGCT2LL/A1522 (iPhone 6), my phone is super slow. Apps hang, then close (like the Starbucks app), my purchased music would just stop in the middle of a song, then I had to close the app and re-open.

In general, everything is very slow to respond, and I have rebooted twice.

Any suggestions

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 9:22 PM

Many apps unresponsive. Phone also running extremely warm and battery draining very quickly. Turning off background app refresh makes no difference whatsoever. Hard reset has no effect. I have 78GB free.

733 replies

Oct 5, 2017 3:45 PM in response to atargis

Why isn't there just a rollback button, the last thing I want to do is to lose all of my data! You press a button to upgrade so why can't we do the same to undo rather than have to go through all the above to restore it.

This is a terrible update, calls and texts are not coming through until minutes or hours later, I am getting quite a few missed calls even though the phone is in front of me and lets not go on one about the rest of the problems with the update.

Oct 7, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Exmor

I have two iPhone 6's. I've upgraded one to 11.02 and left the other at 10.3.3. The upgrade was uneventful, however, what is very obvious to me is a very annoying slight delay in just about all functionality. I've tested this methodically against my 10.3.3 handset and there is a noticable 'sluggishness' in activating simple things like text messages, replying to texts, opening email, writing an email etc, etc. Basically any functionality on the 11.02 phone is now approx 0.25-0.5sec slower than before which may not sound a lot, but when you are used to a very snappy 10.3.3 phone and are able to zip around it and the phone be able to keep up, moving to 11.0.2 feels like my feet are in concrete. Let me clear - I'm not talking about the issues some people are experiencing with app crashing, very slow applications, very slow home button etc, I'm talking about general use of the device now being overall more sluggish than its predecessor.

I want to flash back to 10.3.3 but there doesnt appear to be any way to do it now. I am annoyed beyond belief and feel completely frustrated each time I pick up my phone to use it because its simply not as responsive as it was before. I know there is a lot of new tech in the upgrade, but I would trade it all for the snappy and responsive interface I've enjoyed for the past 3 years. I don't agree that there should be the need to compromise on interface speed just because there's a new OS, and I certainly cant afford to upgrade a perfectly working phone to a later model just because of an OS upgrade that I don't seem to be able to revert.

If anyone can tell me how I can go back to 10.3.3, please let me know. Thanks.

Oct 10, 2017 3:16 PM in response to El Paso Steve

I have ro agree. I’m on a 6 Plus and it is behaving erratically even with IOS 11.02.

Everything is slow and unresponsive.

Siri takes ages to respond.

The keypad is screwed, miss-typing and error rate quadrupled.

Safari is a disaster and will not display pages correctly. It is slow to respond and freezes when clicking a link (I’m on a fast fibre connection).

Touchscreen is awful, not scrolling properly, laggy, slow to respond and scroll is also delayed.

Third party apps slow and non responsive

Settings slow to toggle buttons on and off, especially switching mobile data on and off. Delay can be seconds before responding.

Oh, did I mention battery life?

Absolutely attrocious that this update was released without proper testing on ALL supposedly compatible devices.

I cannot downgrade as Apple Watch won’t work with less than IOS 11 if it has also been upgraded to Watch OS4!

So in a nutshell, completely shafted, a phone I can’t use and so angry that I nearly threw this £700 phone in the bin.

Never again, you have lost me as a customer for good. You have become too greedy Apple and have let your customers down. No morw queues fo new iPhonws I see, doesn’t that tell you something?

Oct 11, 2017 2:52 AM in response to visberry

Absolute rubbish.

After 5 IOS restores from previous backups and 4 as a new iPhone and - not a single bit of difference.

I have 35 years IT experience and have already applied all the basic things - the software is flawed - period. This issue is NOT solved - just look at all the worldwide complaints.

Visberry - please don’t respond - I’ve researched and read all the Apple support articles - that’s the first place any competent person would look. I was merely adding my own experiences of this flawed OS to the thread so others can also see they are not alone and hopefully that someone with an ounce of intelligence from the big Apple will read this and do something.

Oct 11, 2017 9:03 AM in response to El Paso Steve

HERE'S THE FIX: Go into Settings> General> Reset> Reset All Settings (this will reset iOS settings, won't touch your apps)

WHAT THIS DOES: This will *not* erase your phone, but will reset most of the things you can adjust in settings on iOS (you'll need to re-enter you wifi, adjust notifications and privacy settings again, reset your default account for Calendar and Notes, etc, but all your email accounts and iCloud account will still be logged in and all working).

FIXES THIS ISSUE: I had the same issue: iPhone 6S. Upgraded. Even with 25GB free, I'd press a button and often have to wait 1-3 seconds for a response, or copy and paste selectors would be really slow to appear, even the keyboard was unresponsive... phone was barely unusable, literally. I think most people don't get it because most who updated to iOS 11 noticed it being a little slower but not 90% slower. Those like us need to take this step.

BACKGROUND: When I was scouring I found that erasing your phone and restoring from backup worked for people on Reddit, and that should be reliable. I was in the process of doing that myself and accidentally chose "reset all settings" instead of "erase all content and settings". My phone rebooted and all my apps are fine, just needed to go through iOS settings and readjust things.

ALTERNATIVES: This is obviously better than either (a) downgrading to iOS 10 or (b) making sure your phone (as it is now on iOS11) is backed up to iCloud, erasing it, and restoring from that backup.

The difference in speed is shocking.

Pretty sure this will work for you too.

Nov 30, 2017 2:02 PM in response to Uboat CT

Uboat CT wrote:

Uh, IdrisSeabright - there are 24 pages ⚠ of complaints on this one issue since this update was released in October. That's one heck of a coincidence. Time to step back and get some perspective. Either there is an Apple-created software issue which needs to be fixed or they sell more batteries and/or phones. It's pretty easy math.

That's about average after any update. Here's a thread with 853 pages, 13,000 posts and 2.6 million views. It was about a real problem 5 years ago. Back when there were only 1/10 the number of iPhones in use. Today that thread would be 8,000 pages if the problem was the same.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Your phone needs a new battery. Arguing about it won't change that fact.

Dec 4, 2017 11:52 AM in response to El Paso Steve

My iPhone 6 has been significantly slower as well as since updating to iOS 11. With the new 11.2 update coming out yesterday, I thought I'd post my initial tests on app launch times. As you will see, there is improvement.

I will further test for 2nd launches as well as typing speeds, now using my iPad 5th Gen, which also displays slow responses to rudimentary tasks like typing, page loads, and app launches.

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2018 2:42 AM in response to svaardt

That is what I was referring to in my post - for those (like where I live, where there is no cellular signal that use WiFi calling), but with additional battery drain - as a result of the phone increasing power output trying to reach a signal it will never get.

I only mentioned it here as the battery seems to have become the primary factor in why the phones are being slowed as a result of Apple's decision to arbitrarily do this for weakened batteries. So for those who have wifi calling as an option, it may help their battery by turning on airplane mode first, then reactivating wifi, for the purposes of reducing battery use relating to cellular use. Until everyone affected all go and get new batteries of course....😠

Here is a picture of my battery usage without Airplane Mode being on so you can clearly see what's at the top of the tree!

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2017 6:05 PM in response to Marc007@

Hello there,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I know how important your iPhone is, so let's get your iPhone up and running.

I will suggest that you create an encrypted iTunes local backup, then restore your iPhone to iOS 11.0.2, which is the latest version of iOS. You can find instructions to get your iPhone 6 up and running again.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

✅ Note: iTunes will erase and restore your iPhone to iOS 11.0.2 and will verify the update with Apple, please ensure you have have an iOS 11 backup if you want to keep your data. To keep Health & Activity data with your Apple Watch, ensure the backup is encrypted.

- Vis 🙂

Support Communities

Oct 20, 2017 1:21 AM in response to Marc007@

Oct 20, 2017 1:09 AM Re: iPhone 6 very slow with IOS 11 update in response to Wakior

Read the thread, the fix is simple for most:

With the key words: "for most". I did that, and both the battery life and the responsiveness of the phone are still BAD. Had to charge it today 3 times. And the health of the battery is not an issue, it's reported as 96% healthy. Disabled background updates to no avail. I just hope that 11.1 does fix these serious problems. I mean, I KNOW it's not the latest phone, but if Apple had any sense, it would've made the update available for these "old" phones. I'd rather have the previous WORKING version, that the latest UNUSABLE version. But noooo..... And I was naïve enough to believe that I could actually use it on my phone....

iPhone 6 very slow with IOS 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.