Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported Videos much too large in High Sierra

I have already posted a similar problem in the Compressor forum, but as there are probably more people here, and as I am having the problem in FCP X too – here we go:

When I export HD projects (1920 x 1080, 50 fps) from FCPX after installing High Sierra, the bitrate is much higher than it is supposed to be.
Using presets like "Export for Youtube" etc. results in files that have a bitrate of about 100 000 kb/s.

Exporting & uploading to Youtube directly is working OK.

I did a complete clean installation of High Sierra, have the update for Pro Formats installed, removed all external drives from my Mac Pro.
This happens with all the presets that I have tried so far - exporting to Pro Res and doing the compression on another Mac (with Sierra installed) works OK.

Are other people experiencing this too?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 1:10 AM

34 replies

Oct 2, 2017 4:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Cannot do that right now, as I am busy working on a project with Sierra running from an external SSD.

Without screeshots:

Complete clean installation of High Sierra on a Mac Pro (late 2013)

Installation of FCP x and Compressor from the App Store.

Loading a project that contains 3 minutes of HD Footage shot with a GH4 in 1080/50p.

Clicking the export-button in the upper right corner of fcp x (It says "Bereitstellen" on the German System I am working on, probably "Export" in english".

Choose "Export File" and use the settings from this screenshot:

User uploaded file

In the lower right corner of this window you get an estimate of how large the output file is expected to be.

What I get is much larger.
Looking at the files with MediaInfo shows this:

User uploaded file

Not the bitrate I wanted ...

Same results if I use Compressor for the output.

Doing the same thing in Sierra will get me a file that is appx. 350 MB.

Oct 2, 2017 5:49 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

As I tried a lot, it is hard now to find out wich files were written by compressor and wich ones by FCPX.

Strange: Even the files I exported in 10.12 Sierra and which have the bitrate they are supposed to have show this info when I open them with MediaInfo.

Looking at the Infos in VLC gives this window – for both videos:User uploaded file

The problem is the bitrate, not the codec.

Oct 3, 2017 8:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I did some more testing too - and have to admit that I must have gotten something wrong.

It is the same here: Output Filesize from FCPX is almost identical in both systems.

I can't really recall, which file made me think that export in 10.13 was different from 10.12 - however, if it happened I am not able to reproduce the error.

So the problem is only happening in Compressor: Here are some files I generated in both systems by "send to compressor":

User uploaded file

Sorry to have caused you this inconvenience, Tom.

Oct 3, 2017 2:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am currently doing a few tests with other formats (PAL, 720p, 4K)

When I tried with nothing but a generated white background, the resulting files had very low bitrates - 216 kb/s for a 4K Video. As soon as im am using footage that is moving, the bitrate of the output files is very much higher than what is said in the settings.

This happens in FCP X as well as Compressor.

Oct 3, 2017 4:47 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

As I am not having any trouble in Sierra, it is not worth testing there.

I did the tests in High Sierra. Since I can still do all my work starting from an external drive with sierra running, I will stop this now and hope that apple comes up with a solution - in the thread at the Compressor-Forum a user reported that he is in contact with Apple Support regarding this problem.

Oct 3, 2017 5:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you, Tom.

To avoid misunderstanding:
When I am exporting Videos to h.264 format from FCPX or Compressor under Sierra, the results are like I expect them to be in size and bitrate.

When I do exactly the same in High Sierra, the resulting files are much larger - bit rate and filesize are a lot bigger.

If this does not happen with your system(s), this shows that it is not a general problem. But there is at least one other person who is experiencing this (see Compressor-Forum).

Oct 3, 2017 5:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

This is very kind of you, Tom, but I don't see that it makes much sense.

If you are not experiencing these problems so far, I don't think you will if you try again with other footage.

HS gives me large files indepenently from what footage I am using - camera footage from Lumix GH4 or G70 or from generators. Maybe this is not happening on all machines – I am working on a late 2013 Mac Pro.

Oct 3, 2017 5:55 AM in response to cal_r65

I’m just trying to see what kind of numbers we’re getting across various systems. As I said earlier the files I produced in both Sierra and HS were about the same, but they were both larger than I expected for a short video. Are the numbers I posted comparable to what you’re seeing for a video of that size? I just want to see if we can point to where the problem lies

Exported Videos much too large in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.