Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing - temporary empty folder are being created

In 5.4 Server, every time a user within a group saves a file from word, excel, preview, ... two temporary folder are created and only a admin user can deleted. The name of the folders are like this.

nameoffile.xlsx.sb-86c490f3-Ac0QfB

nameoffile.xlsx.sb-86c490f3-pNHwsB

Can someone help me with this?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Server 5.4

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 10:28 AM

21 replies

Oct 17, 2017 6:27 PM in response to RuiMiguel

We are seeing the same problem. If you repeatedly hit save over and over, more and more .sb temp folders get created. It’s possible to create unlimited .sb folders by repeatedly hitting save. This behavior is particularly replicable using TextEdit, although it certainly happens with Excel and Word 2016 as well.

Worse, once these .sb temp folders get created, the next time the source file is opened, the OS may report it’s read only, even though it was not prior to the creation of the .sb temp folders. The existence of the temp folders fools the OS into believing the file is still in use by another network user.

This is a MAJOR issue that has rendered file serving on Server 5.4 virtually unusable!

Apple - please fix!

Dec 22, 2017 7:29 AM in response to RuiMiguel

I'm managing a macOS High Sierra server for small office and we had this issue on smb mounted file shares. switching to afp resolved the problem but is not an ideal solution (we are mac only so it's ok for now.) I then read that giving full write access for the ACL on the root of the share(s) solves this problem. this meant clicking the disclosure icon for Write and checking the "Delete" box. screen grabs attached. hope this helps.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 13, 2017 5:12 PM in response to psbfan

We had a similar issue with Finder crashes during SMB share file operations on some of our workstations after upgrading to 10.13.2. After resetting the SMC on those workstations, the problem went away.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

It does make sense that resetting the SMC would have rectified anything to do with SMB file share operations, but in our case it did.

Nov 18, 2017 7:33 AM in response to RuiMiguel

The temp folders created are empty and cannot be deleted by the remote user that created them. I've had to log on to the machine doing the sharing, go into the share and manually delete the empty temp folders that were created. I checked permissions on the temp folders before deleting them and the user that originally created them has "Read/Write" permission yet the OS denies the delete.

Apple: This is the defect -- a user accessing a shared folder with Read/Write permissions cannot delete a folder that user has created. Only someone signed on locally at the serving machine can delete the folders.

Nov 22, 2017 5:40 AM in response to Jaeger.

HEY APPLE! I'm trying to help you diagnose a bug, please pay attention.

I noticed this morning that when a user connects to a share, the user's High Sierra machine always appears to use an Apple ID, even when the "Connect As" is selected to use "Registered User". In either case, the user has "Read/Write"authorization to the folder where the temp directories are created, but the fact that the connection is always using the Apple ID, even when Registered User is selected may give you guys with access to the source code a hint.

Nov 27, 2017 11:49 AM in response to RuiMiguel

I have the same problem!! Connecting on a Mac via SMB. Creates temp folders that only an admin can delete.

Connecting from a Windows (W7) machine on OS High Sierra Server 5.4 and opening an Office 2016 doc leaves .TMP files in the directory.

I regret updating this mac mini that I use as a file server for a small department, should just kept it on Yosemite server.

Dec 4, 2017 12:05 PM in response to RuiMiguel

This is a major problem that I have encountered as well, on all of my machines that have High Sierra installed. File sharing is either significantly different from what it was pre-High Sierra, broken since the introduction of High Sierra, or both.

It is absolutely absurd how badly damaged (or different) file sharing has become since this update. I use one of my computers (a MacBook Pro) as a glorified hard drive, and I require it to be a reliable share for access to my collection of projects for my clients, as I do a large portion of my designing from other computers — computers that connect to its hard drive. The only way to connect now is to go through an IP address, as clicking on the icon of the device in the lefthand side of a Finder window no longer works as far as establishing a connection.

This newly-forced type of connection is wonky as heck, and of course when connecting this way, we get all kinds of anomalous file-writes, such as this thing we're discussing here with the temporary files being created and then not disappearing once the save has completed — and then also not being able to delete them unless you're on the local machine where those temporary files are located. It's a mess, to say the least.

I created a help ticket in late-October/early-November, and have literally zero ambition by Apple support to rectify the issue. As a multimedia designer who relies heavily on file sharing, my workflow is severely hampered.

What the heck is going on here, Apple

File sharing - temporary empty folder are being created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.