Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing Sonnet Encore/ST G4 Duet processor! Please help?

Hi,
I've just bought a Sonnet 1.8GHz Encore ST G4 Duet Dual processor upgrade for my G4 Digital Audio. I checked I'd got the right firmware (I have), I checked I'd got the right compatible machine (I do).
The instructions tell me that, from the accompanying CD, I can ONLY install the software if I boot my machine in OS9.2, even though the card "fully supports" OS X. So, how do I boot a machine that only has OS X 10.4.7 on it, into OS 9.2? And how do I install OS9 system components into an OSX operating system?

I went to Sonnet's website, and downloaded the SonnetCache for OSX. I assumed that this obviated the need to install OS9 components. After installation, I tried fitting the processor, but my machine wouldn't boot, even though the processor seems to be functioning as normal. I had to take it out and re-install my old one to boot up as normal.

So, has anyone else had this problem? Or am I doing something stupid?

I really need to get this sorted URGENTLY, as the processor was bought to speed up a project with a tight deadline. All suggestions are welcome, except the one where you tell me I've wasted my money on a piece of obselete junk!

G4 Digital Audio, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 1.25G RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB graphics card.

Posted on Jan 10, 2007 12:33 PM

22 replies

Jan 10, 2007 1:38 PM in response to Agasucci

Hi

The Apple firmware on your computer may be up to date, but it needs to be patched using Sonnet's firmware updater so the boot ROM will recognise the 7447 G4 variant used in the processor upgrade. As far as I'm aware Sonnet's firmware patch can only be applied via OS 9 installed on a local hard drive. It can't be applied booting from an OS 9 CD or via Classic (OS 9 running 'within' OS X).

Unfortunately I think the only option is to find an OS 9 installation CD and install OS 9, perhaps on a separate hard drive.

The processor upgrade does fully support OS X, after the firmware patch has been applied.

A 7455 based processor upgrade may have been better as this is the G4 variant Apple originally used in the later Power Macs and often no third party firmware patch is required. The 7447s were only used by Apple in their latops such as the iBook and PowerBook.

Jan 10, 2007 2:21 PM in response to Rodney Culling

Hi Rodney,

I've just tried your suggestion: I have two hard drives, a main and a backup. The backup is actually the original hard drive the machine came with, the main is a newer and bigger one. My main drive is OSX 10.4.7, the back up is OS9.2.2.
But for some reason, the OS9 disk is not bootable (according to Disk Utility). If I attempt to set this disk as my Start Up, it just gets ignored and reboots into OSX on the main drive.
I have another external hard drive, but this also has OSX on it. Without original OS9 disks (which my machine didn't come with), I can't install OS9 over OSX...

Any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2007 2:38 PM in response to Agasucci

I'd have thought you should be able to boot from the original OS 9 hard drive. I assume it's still installed internally and not connected to a PCI card? If you select the disk in disk utility (at the highest level) and choose Get Info from the File menu, what does it say for 'Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed'? Missing OS 9 drivers are the only thing I can think of that would prevent it from booting.

Jan 10, 2007 2:54 PM in response to Rodney Culling

Agasucci,
Hi there. I see what might be the problem. I read that you have a 9800 Pro installed. You need to remove it and put something else (like the 128 Rage Pro ) back in (just for the flash). The 9800 IS NOT compatible with 9.2.2 and will give you FITS. I could not get my DA to start in normal mode until I pulled it. It took me three days to get that figured out. Yank it and all will progress smoothly, I promise. Keep us informed.

Cheers,
Chris

1.4 GHz "digital audio",1.5 GB RAM, 500 GB SATA HD, Firmtek Seritek 1V4 Mac OS X (10.4.8) Pioneer DVR-111D, BFG 6800 GT oc, 30GB 5.5G video, 4GB 1G nano

Jan 10, 2007 3:07 PM in response to F5 FANatic

OK, I'm currently removing files from my backup drive, in preparation for partioning it. I've checked the drive in Disk Utility, and it says it's not bootable, even though the Mac OS9 drivers are installed. So I guess if I partition it, and start from scratch, I might get a bootable OS9 drive out of it. Maybe?

As for the graphics card, thanks for the tip. Although I'm not looking forward to this. Plus it means I'll have to remove it every time I want to boot up in 9. Jeez... I don't believe this, the sheer amount of things I've got to do, just to plug in a card... and all for the sake of a tiny patch. Why can't Sonnet (or someone) just update their patch to OSX?

Jan 10, 2007 3:17 PM in response to Agasucci

Why can't Sonnet (or someone) just update their patch to OSX?

Funnily enough they recently released 7447 based processor upgrades for some of the later G4 models which don't all support booting into OS 9. It makes me wonder whether some form of firmware patch that can be applied via OS X is actually available, although I can't see it for download from their web site and I wouldn't know whether it works with the older upgrades.

Jan 10, 2007 7:18 PM in response to F5 FANatic

Right, I managed to partition my second drive, installed 9.1 from my original system disks, and eventually managed to update to 9.2.
However, I still can't seem to open the Sonnet Installer disk in 9.2.
On a whim, I tried opening and installing it from OS X, and surprisingly, it seemed to work ( by which I mean I can now see the Sonnet installations in my 9.1 system folder.) I don't know if this will actually work with the Duet though.

I have noticed that my mac now seems to open in OS9.2 as it's default state, rather than OS X, unless I actually physically choose X. This is going to be annoying.

I still don't fully understand why i have to install these components in OS 9.2, if I'll be using the processor in OS X. I never use OS 9 anymore.

And finally, I called Sonnet but couldn't get through: I've sent an email instead, asking for any help they can give me. We'll see what happens...

Jan 11, 2007 2:05 AM in response to Agasucci

I've hunted everywhere, but I can't find the exact info I need. Can anyone tell me what my system should look like after I've installed this processor? It seems designed to be installed when you are actually running OS 9, and then allows you to upgrade to OS X afterwards. But if you're ALREADY running OS X ( and have been for quite a while), then it's just confusing and difficult trying to install. I can't find any info in the instructions. Do I need to keep OS 9 on my system somewhere? If I put OS 9 on a partition, can I get rid of it after I've installed the Sonnet extension, and go back to running just in OS X? I just don't get it....

Jan 11, 2007 3:13 AM in response to Agasucci

Hi

The processor upgrade is fully compatible with both OS 9 and OS X, either together or individually. The actual problem is that the boot ROM in your computer won't recognise the 7447 G4 used in the processor upgrade. It's not an OS problem as such, it's purely a boot ROM/firmware problem.

To patch the firmware, you need to use Sonnet's firmware patcher, and that will only run under OS 9. After you've patched the firmware and installed the processor upgrade, you can discard OS 9 entirely.

I appreciate this doesn't help now and Sonnet processor upgrades are by far the most readily available here in the UK, but there are 7455 G4 based processor upgrades available that don't require any third party firmware patches or enabling software at all and are 100% plug and play.

Jan 11, 2007 3:43 AM in response to Rodney Culling

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for another simple explanation:-)
I already had the correct firmware (4.2.8f1), as recommended by Sonnet. I've now (apparently) installed the Sonnet Processor Extension into the OS 9 System Folder on my partitioned backup drive. I say "apparently" because the installation took place in Classic from my OS X drive, rather than in 9.2 from the other drive (where the Sonnet CD wouldn't open). Anyway, when I open the OS 9 System Folder, I can see the Sonnet Processor Extension installed there, as well as the StartUp Disk X Control Panel.

Does this sound as if it will work, if I go ahead and install the processor? Or am I still missing something?

Jan 11, 2007 5:40 AM in response to Agasucci

Hi

I'm not sure whether you've actually updated the firmware. According to the installation instructions, after the installation of the Sonnet software into the OS 9 system folder, a dialog box will appear, you click OK to shut down the computer, press and hold the programmers button on the front of the machine until you hear a tone and then release it. A progress bar will then appear as the firmware is being updated. Having the Sonnet processor extension in the system folder by itself isn't enough, the firmware on the logic board also needs to be updated which involves a restart and holding the programmers button. I'm not sure whether or not you've actually done this and whether it was successful. The installation manual states 'you must ensure your system is booted in Mac OS 9.2; do not attempt to run this installer in Mac OS X (Classic mode)'.

Problem installing Sonnet Encore/ST G4 Duet processor! Please help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.