Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System freezes since High Sierra

Hi,

since i upgraded to High Sierra i get random (every few houres) system freezes/slow downs. Everytime the mouse is still useable but the response needs quite a lot of time and sometimes there is no response at all. I had some freezes where the system recovers after 10 minutes and sometimes i had to do a hard reboot.

I thougt it might be an issue with the current release of High Sierra therefore i installed the 10.13.1 Beta, but the issue is still present.

I have no external drivers installed.

Has anyone an idea what i can do to track down what could cause such an issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), late 2013 15"

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 3:55 PM

I have this problem, too, on my Mac Pro (Late 2013): I installed High Sierra (upgraded from Sierra) on October 6th. Ever since then, here is what happens: I leave my Mac running at the end of the work day. I come back to my office the following morning and the computer is unresponsive to trackpad or keyboard wakeup. My only option is to restart the computer.

I have reset SMC. I have downloaded and reinstalled High Sierra as of October 11th. I have upgraded my external monitor card drivers (Blue Diamond) to High Sierra compatible drivers. The system is still locked up on most mornings. The only thing that has changed is that after resetting SMC the monitors actually wake upon response to touching the trackpad or keyboard. But, that doesn't matter, because the actual operating system is locked up.

On October 11th, I opened a ticket with Apple support and have provided their engineers with a crash dump diagnostics file.

This behavior has happened nearly every day since installing High Sierra on October 6th. Although, curiously, the computer was awake and ready for business for me the past two days (October 15th and 16th) without incident...and without a change on my part.

I have just heard back today (October 16, 2017) from my Apple support contact who has confirmed that:

• Computers locking up is a known issue that is affecting many users who have upgraded to High Sierra.
  • As such, research will continue and it will be addressed in a forthcoming operating system update.

Technology. It's great...when it works. #ahem

148 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 3:55 PM in response to tschust

I have this problem, too, on my Mac Pro (Late 2013): I installed High Sierra (upgraded from Sierra) on October 6th. Ever since then, here is what happens: I leave my Mac running at the end of the work day. I come back to my office the following morning and the computer is unresponsive to trackpad or keyboard wakeup. My only option is to restart the computer.

I have reset SMC. I have downloaded and reinstalled High Sierra as of October 11th. I have upgraded my external monitor card drivers (Blue Diamond) to High Sierra compatible drivers. The system is still locked up on most mornings. The only thing that has changed is that after resetting SMC the monitors actually wake upon response to touching the trackpad or keyboard. But, that doesn't matter, because the actual operating system is locked up.

On October 11th, I opened a ticket with Apple support and have provided their engineers with a crash dump diagnostics file.

This behavior has happened nearly every day since installing High Sierra on October 6th. Although, curiously, the computer was awake and ready for business for me the past two days (October 15th and 16th) without incident...and without a change on my part.

I have just heard back today (October 16, 2017) from my Apple support contact who has confirmed that:

• Computers locking up is a known issue that is affecting many users who have upgraded to High Sierra.
  • As such, research will continue and it will be addressed in a forthcoming operating system update.

Technology. It's great...when it works. #ahem

Oct 12, 2017 1:18 PM in response to tschust

I have this problem on two different Macs (desktop and laptop), so it's not a hardware problem. At first I thought it was my desktop, which is quite old, but it's also happening with my laptop (which is only 2 years old). For the exact same thing to be suddenly happening with two completely different computers, immediately after both were upgraded to the new OS, I think it's most likely a bug in High Sierra. But for some reason it's not impacting everyone, so perhaps it's connected to specific apps. Are you running Dropbox? I noticed that when I reboot after a freeze, Dropbox does not automatically start (even though it's set to start with my computer). This makes me wonder if Dropbox is somehow related to the freeze, and the Mac is preventing it from opening on restart. Or maybe it's something else, but I'm going to try running without Dropbox for a day or two and see what happens.

Jan 5, 2018 10:55 AM in response to tschust

I have the same issue - random system freeze.

I have seconds turned on and I can see the seconds freeze

Usually about 10 minutes latter the system will un-freeze

However After the Un-freeze

- All my fonts are not recognized

- if I don't restart the question mark box shows up for all emojis and eventually everywhere OS menus etc.

- I have restored my fonts to the default set

Interesting Console Output

- Before the Freeze in the Console system.log:

Finder[956]: libcoreservices: __create_or_fix_relative_directory: 959: __dirhelper_create_relative returned (os/kern) failure

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2017 1:50 PM in response to tschust

Hi There,

I'm also have the same issues on my MacPro. Completely random, but in my case it never recovers. The I can move the mouse cursor but that is it. Each time I have to physically power down the system and reboot. I am going to try an erase my HD and fresh install High Sierra. I hope that correct it, if not I will be posting a For Sale ad, as I am fast losing confidence.

Thanks,
Vik

Oct 16, 2017 8:18 AM in response to tschust

Sounds like the same problem I am having with my 2012 retina Macbook Pro after installing High Sierra. The mouse still works but nothing responds, and it happens every few days. I need to power down the computer to get it working again. I have tried resetting the PRAM, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have not tried a clean install of High Sierra yet.

Oct 17, 2017 2:22 PM in response to tschust

Same issue on a Macbook Pro late 2011 with Kingston SSD instead of the OEM HDD. Originally i thought it was related to the SSD and APFS, especially since it seemed to occur when Time Machine was "Preparing Backup". However, after stopping automatic backups for a while the issue persisted. No clearly visible culprit in System Monitor. I guess i'll wait for the fix from Apple...

Oct 22, 2017 12:51 AM in response to tschust

Yeah same for me too .. I found that turning off the screen saver stopped the daily crashing. It seems that when the computer wants to go into any kind of sleep or low power mode High Sierra freezes. I'd suggest turning off screen saver for now.

Although my computer did freeze and crash and reboot today when I was working on it .. but generally operates more stable than with the screen saver on.

Oct 24, 2017 9:23 PM in response to Jao vdL

Thats good news that Apple has decided to fix something.

With the new OS/firmwares they must have changed a lot of graphics drivers/ codes.

This freezing happens during is moderate to heavy graphics engagement, some with hardware acceleration.

It was there, more severely during the betas, and is still there.

I look at the CPU usage, "WindowServer" is unusually high during web browsing.

I wonder if this also happens on the latest Macs as well.

Nov 2, 2017 1:05 PM in response to Enkk

10.13.1 didn't solve the problem for me. MacBook Pro 15" late 2014. The problem is probably related to the video card driver (Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2 GB), since the system hangs every time I do something "intensive". I can hang it 99% if I plug the external monitor before waking up the laptop from the sleep: when I open the lid the the system doesn't respond anymore. Sometimes instead it just slow down incredibly so I'm forced to shut the computer down because it's rather unusable.

Nov 5, 2017 3:29 AM in response to Enkk

I installed directly High Sierra 10.13.1, running on iMac 21.5" (mid 2011) with an AMD HD6750M and an SSD, so it is definitely not related to NVidia (only).
I am still facing the colored wheel / freeze after some idle time with no other option than to do a hard reboot.
Currently I am running in Safe (boot) mode...

As indicated in other threads, make sure you activated in your system configuration > Security & Privacy > Analysis the option 'Share Mac Analysis' in order to provide Apple with info.
Let's cross fingers that the apple team can soon locate and fix the issue(s).

Nov 7, 2017 12:01 PM in response to tschust

I recently installed High Sierra and found that my entire machine would lock up (despite pram and smc reset), seemingly around the same time it activates the screensaver. So, I changed from displaying photos to one of the default system screensaver patterns "Arabesque" and that seems to solve the sleep/wake freezing.

The only remaining glitches so far:

- On startup it for some reason uses 'flurry' then self recovers back to 'Arabesque'. Not a huge deal.

- Monitors still occasionally show artifacting on wake/sleep.

- My apps occasionally freeze when dragging them between monitors.

System freezes since High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.