Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Tags Disappear after Saving.

I've upgraded to macOS High Sierra (MacBook Pro with 13" Retina, early 2015) and I tag excel files that I use often. Since I've upgraded to the High Sierra whenever I open a file, that is tagged, and then I save that file the Finder tag disappears. I have deleted and created new tags since the upgrade and this still happens. The file itself doesn't lose and data but only the Finder Tag is missing.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 5, 2017 1:14 PM

27 replies

Oct 24, 2017 12:16 PM in response to JohanesC

There is likely nothing to be done until Apple releases 10.13.1, and/or Microsoft releases the next version of Office 2016 for Mac after 15.39. Then I would retest if the problem is cleared up.

You may review the respective Word, Excel, etc application preferences to see if there are any settings that may have an impact on document tag retention.

Another more remote possibility is rebooting into Safe Boot mode, and testing if the tag information is lost after document save in that mode. Reboot normally.

If tags are retained in Safe Boot mode, and not after retesting again in normal boot mode, then it may be a Office 2016 for Mac application .plist causing the problem.

I do not have Office 2016 for Mac installed here, so cannot perform additional testing.

Oct 24, 2017 8:31 AM in response to John94066

It sounds as though Excel is not preserving the document's Finder attributes when saving the document, or you are saving to an exFAT formatted drive, or a non-Apple Cloud service, where there is no support for Finder attributes. If you are using Excel 2008/2011, neither of these have been tested by Microsoft with High Sierra. Excel 2016 for Mac should save and preserve the document's tag attribute.

Oct 24, 2017 8:41 AM in response to Happywoef

Documents saved to iCloud will retain their tag information, unless the saving application is not preserving the document's Finder tag attribute. Office 2016 for Mac v15.35, or later, is the only Mac office package that Microsoft recommends for High Sierra, and if you are using anything older, you are playing roulette with your documents.

Oct 24, 2017 8:57 AM in response to VikingOSX

Unfortunately, it happens with Office 2016 as well. I've tried everything; I deleted MS Office, re-installed it, same thing. I tried some terminal commands the senior engineer at work suggested (he thought there's a corrupt _DS_Store, or something like that); nada. In my case, it doesn't happen with any other file, only MS Office files. And the file itself (the contents I mean) isn't being affected. It's only the finder attributes (tags). It is very, very annoying...

Oct 24, 2017 10:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

At my work, we use the following process: the supervisor (from his end) assigns files to our team by using custom tags with our names. When I navigate to Finder and click on the tag with my name, I see the files assigned to me. When I open the file (which I repeat, has my name tag on it) the tag stays there. The moment I save/modify the file somehow it loses its tag(s).

This is something that is happening only with MS Office 2016 files. Any other file (including Pages, Numbers, etc.) is behaving properly. It started happening since I upgraded to High Sierra (I performed a clean install).

P.S. I forgot to add that the files I'm talking about are on Dropbox (shared for company purposes) but this behaviour happens in files that are stored locally too.

Jan 1, 2018 8:03 AM in response to John94066

I found the problem and fixed it!

The issue for me was that I was using an older version of Office (2011)

The new version of the IOS does not work with Office 2011. I upgraded

to office 2016 on my desktop and laptop and this fixed the issue.

Bad news - Its going to cost $$$ to fix the issue.

Good news - Once I upgraded to Office 2016 I stopped getting ****** off!

There is nothing worse than not being able to find your important files if you

are a business user.

Good luck everyone!

Finder Tags Disappear after Saving.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.