Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder search results are broken aliases

When I use finder search in High Sierra to search files on remote volumes ( I have tried AFP, SMB and NFS), the search results seem to be broken aliases.

When I double click on one of the results I get a popup with the error "The alias “Filename.txt” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.".

When I select "Fix Alias" button and select the original file I get an error popup :The operation can’t be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -8060).

This used to work fine on Sierra.

Paul

iMac, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 5:41 AM

75 replies

Jan 23, 2018 3:51 PM in response to paulz42

lets hope this make a difference take a look a the second line, try it out and lets see if it work.

About the macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update

This update is recommended for all macOS High Sierra users.

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update improves the stability and security of your Mac and is recommended for all users.

This update:

• Addresses an issue that could cause Messages conversations to temporarily be listed out of order
  • Resolves an issue that could cause your Mac to stop responding when connected to an SMB server

See Apple Security Updates for detailed information about the security content of this update.

Learn how to get this macOS update.

Published Date: Jan 23, 2018

Oct 20, 2017 8:28 AM in response to paulz42

Hi,

I have contacted the Apple Support and a case has been opened with their enterprise support. It is currently reviewed by the engineering team... We'll see what is their take on it: we have confirmed it with SMB (Windows server), AFP&NFS (Synology Server). I'll keep you posted here about the status of the support case.

Feb 7, 2018 1:11 PM in response to paulz42

I followed the following advise and it was as simple to fix as turning on the Spotlight Indexing for that drive.

Read the advise I took from another member...

User uploaded filefelpzrjJan 23, 2018 3:00 PM in response to paulz42

User uploaded file Level 1 (4 points)

Jan 23, 2018 3:00 PM Re: Finder search results are broken aliasesin response to paulz42

I had the exact same problem and I could fix it by erasing and rebuilding the spotlight index for all network shares affected.

What I did was:

1 - Rebooted my mac.

2 - After a clean boot, I connected to one of my network shares.

3 - Launched Terminal and checked the spotlight indexing status for the share using "mdutil -s /Volumes/networksharename".

If it's on, proceed to step 4.

If it's off, you have to enable it using "mdutil -i on /Volumes/networksharename". Once you do so, it'll start indexing, but I recommend performing the next step anyway.

4 - Still in Terminal, executed "mdutil -E /Volumes/networksharename" to erase and rebuild the spotlight index for that share.

5 - Launched Activity Monitor to check the indexing processes (mds, mdworker, etc). Once they were done, the problem was solved.

Hope it helps 😉

Oct 18, 2017 10:12 AM in response to paulz42

I also have the issue with MacOS High Sierra with all the updates (upgraded from Sierra): clicking on a search result on the finder from an NFS or AFP share (Synology NAS) fails with the error : The alias “XXXXXX” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Has anyone contacted Apple about this issue ?

Oct 20, 2017 6:56 AM in response to paulz42

same grief. this high sierra update has broken a fair few things. i get the same problem when searching SMB windows connected remote drives. never used to. latest patch fixed one thing that was broken - Adobe InDesign cursor bug but it's still left me with other bugs.

another really annoying one is when i plug headphones in my macbook pro it mutes it and greys out the un-mute button! thanks apple!

Oct 20, 2017 8:46 AM in response to garz75

FWIW, I have done some testing after hitting the same issue. I will state up front that I do not have this problem when searching a share that is serve by another Mac running Sierra. My High Sierra client has the "broken alias" issue when talking to NetApp ONTAP (Proprietary), FreeNAS 11.0U3/4 (Samba 4), & Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. All three of these work without any noticeable issue when the client is running Sierra.

garz75, thanks for opening a ticket. I look forward to your updates.

Oct 27, 2017 5:10 PM in response to paulz42

I'm having the same issue on multiple Macs I updated to High Sierra, including erasing the hard drive before reinstalling it clean. I only have the issue on all of my High Sierra machines. It applies to my SMB shares on Windows Server 2012 R2. I wonder if there is a conflict with some software I'm using. Does anyone that has this problem have none of the software I have? My next step is to do a fresh install with no 3rd party software, which may take some time. Here is what I have installed:

* Wacom tablet drivers

* Adobe Creative Suite 6

* TeamViewer 12

* Microsoft Office 2011

* FileMaker Pro 12

Oct 27, 2017 5:39 PM in response to garz75

Thank you garz75. To be specific, this particular iMac I'm working with right now I had no issue with Sierra. Then I updated to High Sierra and discovered the problem. Then, because of the problem, I erased the hard drive in an attempt to install Sierra, but was only able to install High Sierra directly. So this is a pure downloaded-from-Apple clean install. I wish I could go back to Sierra, but I can't figure out how to.

Oct 30, 2017 1:34 PM in response to paulz42

I have had issues browsing both PC servers and Linux servers on our office network since upgrading to High Sierra. I've run all the patches and the system seems to be reverting to 1996 network capabilities. I am trying to use EasyFind in the mean time, but's failing to find items on the network either. I'm running a MacBook Pro 15" with Touch Bar 2016.

Nov 10, 2017 9:38 AM in response to garz75

If anyone has contacted Apple Support on this can you share your case#? We should all create cases with Enterprise support and site the other customers that have this issue to put more pressure on Apple, which apparently doesn't see this as a big deal. When I talk to them they tell me to call Microsoft, because it must be a Microsoft error. I can't seem to find the number for enterprise support. Does anyone have it?

Nov 10, 2017 9:49 AM in response to AllAccessApparelIT

AllAccessApparelIT as I said earlier in this thread, I opened a case on Oct 18, number 100326092192. They are aware of this thread on discussions.apple.com and realise it impacts many people.

The issue has been confirmed by the support team AND the engineering team: from the Enterprise support team's own words:

> I was able to talk to engineering directly.

> They are aware that its a finder issue & currently investigating however the testing, developing & recoding process takes a very long time

Now the issue needs to included in a Mac OS update... For that they could not give me an ETA.

Dec 1, 2017 8:41 AM in response to paulz42

my support case with Enterprise support 100326092192 is still open. I had several sessions with them, where they took all the diagnostic information they need (on the following use cases: upgraded High Sierra, fresh install, for both NFS and SMB volumes). The developer team has reproduced the problem, so now it is a matter of having it fixed in the MacOS code and released. No ETA for the fix though yet.

Finder search results are broken aliases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.