Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S activation error 0xE8000013

Hi,

I have an unlocked iPhone 5s which was recently updated from iOS 10.0.2 to iOS 11.0.1 through iTunes on a Macbook running OSX Sierra with all latest updates. The update went without a hitch. After the initial setup screens of choosing country, language etc., iTunes gave the following error:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be activated because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000013). Please try again later.

If I try to activate the iPhone using a working SIM (either on WiFi or Mobile Network), the the following message is displayed:

Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it or try again in a few minutes.

So, I started troubleshooting in the following order:

1. Check the Apple System Status (iOS Device Activation is online continously)
  2. Followed Apple's guide on 0xE errors
  3. Tried the setup on a Windows 10 with all latest updates but ran into the same aforementioned issue with iTunes (both Macbook & Windows laptops have the latest iTunes installed)
  4. Changed USB cables but to no avail

I am sure the issue is specific to the iPhone 5s & iOS 11 because using the same cables and laptops both my iPhone 6S & iPad Mini 2 updated to iOS 11 smoothly.

If any other iPhone user have this issue I would like to hear from them & how they got it resolved (if they could).

Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.0.2, Unlocked iPhone 5S

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 5:53 AM

chiaraChiara wrote:

Hi ro66i3,

Unfortunately Iphone 5c does not support IOS 11. The last release is IOS 10.3.3 i guess.

This is a really stressfull situation. A software issue is preventing me to use my phone.

Is there any method for flashing a previous release? Am I stuck with 10.3.3?

Thanks.

A software issue is not preventing you from using your phone. The fact that updating iOS requires that the phone be reactivated, and that reactivation is failing, is preventing you from using your phone.

Here are the reasons you might get the message that the Activation Server is unavailable:

• It really is unavailable. Rare, but it happens. You can check its status here: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
  • Your version of iTunes is out of date. You need 12.6.3 or later.
  • The phone does not have a valid SIM installed.
  • Your antivirus or firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com. Try temporarily disabling it.
  • Your router's firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com or to a port that it requires (443).
  • Your phone is jailbroken, or it was at some time in the past.
  • Your computer was used to hack or jailbreak some iOS device in the past (not necessarily the device with the current problem), and its network database was corrupted. Hacking includes using some questionable apps such as recboot, reiboot, Tinyumbrella, redsn0w, etc. If this is a possibility inspect your computer's hosts file. If there are any lines in the file that reference gs.apple.com that is the explanation. You will need to rebuild the hosts file.
  • Your phone has a hardware problem. Take it to an Apple store for diagnosis.
297 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2017 5:53 AM in response to chiaraChiara

chiaraChiara wrote:

Hi ro66i3,

Unfortunately Iphone 5c does not support IOS 11. The last release is IOS 10.3.3 i guess.

This is a really stressfull situation. A software issue is preventing me to use my phone.

Is there any method for flashing a previous release? Am I stuck with 10.3.3?

Thanks.

A software issue is not preventing you from using your phone. The fact that updating iOS requires that the phone be reactivated, and that reactivation is failing, is preventing you from using your phone.

Here are the reasons you might get the message that the Activation Server is unavailable:

• It really is unavailable. Rare, but it happens. You can check its status here: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
  • Your version of iTunes is out of date. You need 12.6.3 or later.
  • Your antivirus or firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com. Try temporarily disabling it.
  • Your router's firewall is blocking access to gs.apple.com or to a port that it requires (443).
  • Your computer was used to hack or jailbreak some iOS device in the past (not necessarily the device with the current problem), and its network database was corrupted. Hacking includes using some questionable apps such as recboot, reiboot, Tinyumbrella, redsn0w, etc. If this is a possibility inspect your computer's hosts file. If there are any lines in the file that reference gs.apple.com that is the explanation. You will need to rebuild the hosts file.

Jan 21, 2018 3:37 PM in response to zahid345

• Your version of iTunes is out of date.
  • Your phone has been repaired by an unqualified person, and non-standard hardware was installed.

Oct 14, 2017 2:18 AM in response to ckadendula

Hi ckadendula,

The issue seems specific to iPhone 5S devices. I am not sure if the issue is specific to a certain model number of the iPhone 5S or not. Maybe Apple would like to take this issue up.

As for the downgrade, Apple has stopped signing iOS versions below 10, so we are out of luck there as well. Until the iOS 11 issue is fixed, Apple should allow signing of iOS 10.3.3 for the iPhone 5S atleast.

Nov 25, 2017 10:26 AM in response to ro66i3

Robbie, got the iphone with only the apple logo being displayed and was able to fix that. Solved the error 9 and have no problems with the display as well. I just need to get pass through activation.

Anyway, our phones have a more specific model written in Settings> About section but we do not have access to it right now. I used another program (screenshot) to find out and maybe you have the time check yours as well. In File Browser, right click iPhone and select Properties.

@ Faisalazi, noticed the same in IMEI checking websites. My iPhone 5S 32gb only displayed 16gb of storage. 😕

User uploaded file

Dec 5, 2017 8:01 PM in response to ro66i3

I've been sending daily emails to several news organizations, especially those that cover tech such as CNET, Apple Insider etc. But frankly, one person describing our plight doesn't do much. After months of waiting for Apple to fix their issue, I've realized that both Apple and the carriers are profiting from this complete breech of faith with their customers. Several months have demonstrated to me that Apple will not fix this issue based on the complaints of a few on their own site. Eventually this thread will become dated, sporadic, and age out to their profit. Only greater public awareness will spur their action. Not out of ownership of the problem or customer dedication, rather to work damage control in the face of public.

Make your voices heard if you want resolution...

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2017 1:24 PM in response to ro66i3

That issue isn't "iPhone 5S specific" i recently bought a iPhone 6 and i have the same activation error.

Called the French support (because i am french ...) And someone told me that Activation servers are having some issues or under heavy load.

I've pretty much done everything that they said (Restoring iPhone, With/Without sim card, using multiple wifi, 4G, iTunes (Shows either 0xE8000013 or 0xE80000C If restored and connected on itunes, probably because it can't reach server to get any specific informations about iPhone)

i would suggest to anyone having this issue to contact apple

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Oct 16, 2017 6:34 AM in response to ro66i3

Well, we are aware of atleast one condition when an iPhone will not be activated.

If the concerned device has been replaced by Apple with another device, then the older device will not get activated post an iOS update. Might be so in the case of a restore as well. These older devices have found their way out on the open market & users who bought them are now stuck with it.

Everyone facing the issue may want to view this thread out and check your device with Apple whether your device has been replaced or not.

Oct 31, 2017 2:33 PM in response to MohammadMNC

Where have these many reports appeared? If you mean here in Apple Support Communities, Apple has not seen them. This is a user to user technical support forum; Apple Support does not read it. If you want to bring it to Apple's attention the ONLY way is to use the Contact Support link at the top of every page. You can also use https://apple.com/feedback, but that is just a general collection point. Considering how rare this issue is you should use the Contact Support link so you can get personalized attention.

Nov 2, 2017 1:30 PM in response to zaman450

I was having the same problem on iPhone 6s after upgrading to 11.1.

Here is how I make it work:

• Reset and erase all data
  • Did not setup anything - no passcode, no apple Id - nothing
  • Inserted the SIM
  • Keep on activating - failure after failure and on the 5th time it succeeded.
  • Then finished all the setup like apple ID and stuff.

Give it a try.

Nov 17, 2017 8:19 AM in response to ZAKARIA007

Quite a few actually, if you have gone through the thread. The summary is as follows:

1. If you have repaired your device with a non genuine Apple part(s), then iOS 11 will not activate it. Period. Unless, Apple has a change of heart in the future
  2. If the device has been brought refurbished from a retailer other then Apple or Apple authorized, most likely it has a non genuine Apple part in it. So point 1 is in-effect
  3. Post iOS 11, the term "unlocked" has a new meaning as per the the last conversation with Apple service engineers. Earlier the term "unlocked" meant that the device can be used for activation & everything else with any supporting carrier irrespective of the device's country of origin. Now the definition is that the device is still allowed to used with any supporting carrier but the activation process requires a SIM from the concerned country. SIMs can be swapped post that
  4. If you have a device bought directly from Apple or authorized retailers w/o genuine repairs, then visit the authorized service centre to be presented with an estimated repairing cost of a new phone (I assume you are out of warranty, else you wouldn't be here in the forums)
  5. The concerned device has been Jailbroken before
  6. The concerned device has been replaced by Apple with another one for a valid reason to the previous owner. The device should have not been out for sale in the first place unless it has been officially refurbished by Apple. Apple marks such devices in their database
  7. The concerned device's serial number does not match with Apple's database

If anyone has additional encounters (not mentioned above) with Apple service centres, please feel free to add to the list.

Nov 18, 2017 3:15 AM in response to Saifulapm

iOS 11.1.2 fixes issues specific to iPhone X users.

Excerpts from the official release notes below:

iOS 11.1.2 includes bug fixes for your iPhone and iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where the iPhone X screen becomes temporarily unresponsive to touch after a rapid temperature drop
  • Addresses an issue that could cause distortion in Live Photos and videos captured with iPhone X

11.2 is in the works. If that that doesn't solve the issue with the activation issue faced by the users then there is no point in further holding out.

iPhone 5S activation error 0xE8000013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.