Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote control problem - High Sierra

Since upgrading to High Sierra, the up and down buttons of my Apple Remote control do not work. Left to right and all other functions work ok. This is the same if I use Kodi or Plex.

Very frustrating, anyone else have this issue and know of a fix?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 1:14 PM

SOLUTION!!!

Turn off and then on IR reception

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General.
  2. Click the lock icon User uploaded file to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click Advanced.
  4. In the window that appears, deselect “Disable remote control infrared receiver.”
25 replies

Oct 12, 2017 11:36 PM in response to martinfromrainham

Just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem using EyeTV on my mac mini late 2012. Infortunately I do not have a solution, but I do have a bit of additional information. It is definitely related to High Sierra (not a particular app) and apparently the problem is wide-spread. At least among those still using ir remotes. From what I gathered so far on the internet the key mapping of the apple remote has been altered in High Sierra. They say it also affects other ir remotes, not just the apple remote. At least one media streaming app got fixed via an update by now, so it is fixable in principle by app makers.

Dec 5, 2017 1:17 AM in response to martinfromrainham

My 6 button remote (one of the older style white plastic ones), has not been working at all with my 2011 Mac Mini, since upgrading to High Sierra. I put a new CR2032 battery in it today (even though the old one was still reading 3.02V) and tried to pair it with the Mac Mini. No luck at all. I checked with an old 2006 iMac running 10.7.5 Lion and it paired and unpaired just fine, so remote is working. Is IR remote disabled by default on 10.13 and if so, what is the Terminal Command to restart it?

Dec 6, 2017 9:25 PM in response to martinfromrainham

Same irritating problem, Apple Aluminium IR remote up/down, left/right buttons no longer active with eyeTV on a MacMini, following the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra.

By contrast, using the Trackpad is a poor replacement.

Like every one here, I hope a fix is in the pipeline, from eyeTV or Apple, please.

I wasted hours messing around, swapping batteries, disabling and enabling the remote, restarts, etc...

Dec 6, 2017 11:58 PM in response to Robert J McInnes

My sort of solution has been to use a third party desktop control system called Jump Desktop, where I can control my Mac Mini remotely from a MacBook Pro laptop. A complicated work around I know but at least it works. I note you have Eye-TV, which is also installed on my Mac Mini, although not used (My Elgato dongle is attached to an ancient iMac in my bedroom). I wonder if Eye-TV is causing the problem. I will delete it and see if that makes any difference (unlikely)!

Dec 10, 2017 12:40 PM in response to adr7an

Unfortunately your solution did not work for me. Up and down are still not working.

I've been in contact with eyeTV customer support. Unfortunately after a few emails going back and forth they finally told me that Apple made changes to High Sierra and that they are not going to be able to fully support High Sierra. Which I guess was their way of telling me that this issue is not going to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2017 12:54 AM in response to Robert J McInnes

Robert,

I'm with you but finger pointing among companies won't help anyone. Be it good or bad, but Apple changes the specs and app developers have to follow. It is not the case that the IR doesn't work or even that the up and down buttons do not work. From what I understand they have just been remapped to do different things. Other app developers have released patches that (successfully) address the issue.

We users of the IR remote unfortunately have no lobby. People that still use the IR on a Mac (not an Apple TV) are few and far between. And to (not) quote Lewis Black: At Apple the issue is probably on page two after do we eat too much garlic as a people. :-) I am not optimistic that we will see a fix from Apple. Especially if they see it as a change of specs. We have seen these discussions before. But I would like to be proven otherwise!

In the meantime we have gotten used to just using the bluetooth touchpad. It's not very elegant to have that sitting on the couch. But on the upside it controls anything, not just eyeTV.

Dec 12, 2017 12:35 AM in response to Kilomathon_man

I installed the free trial version of Remote Buddy. The old white plastic style remote paired via the Remote Buddy app with my 2011 Mac Mini, which it had refused to do via System Preferences (Security and Privacy/Advanced). The strange thing is that after I disable Remote Buddy, the remote keeps working on all functions and now System Preferences, shows it up as paired. I feel a bit guilty about not buying Remote Buddy, as it solved my problem but I don't actually need it now. If at the end of the trial period, when it may disable some of the things it installed at the system level (it needed a restart so must have installed something at O/S level), my IR remote dies again, I will consider buying it. I suspect that IR detection had been disabled on my Mac Mini during the upgrade to High Sierra and installing the free trial version of Remote Buddy has re-activated it.

Dec 23, 2017 12:46 AM in response to Michael Blazer

When you installed Remote Buddy, did it ask if it could install another small app, whose name I forget? I suspect it is this sub-app which re-activates the IR control. You have to read the help on their website and follow the instructions about setting up Remote Buddy. As I have now deleted the app, I cannot now access the help instructions. I would doubt if an update from Geniatech will help, as I think it is the OS 10.13 IR driver which has been disabled or blocked, which Remote Buddy re-activates. I am using the old small white IR control, not the later metal/silver finish one.

remote control problem - High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.