Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: FIX- Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install

Right Mac users. If your facing the same problem like me then I suggest you listen up. First don't try to install Mac OS high Sierra again or try anything else. You want to first of delete your drive until you have no drive. Yes I mean no drive. To do this, power off your Mac and then hold command + R and boot up your Mac. This should do the trick. Then delete your drive in disk utility by clicking the minus button on the top right and then enter internet recovery mode by repeating the process though this time adding option and then command + R. Then you will enter the same menu which is mac os utilities and then this time instead of Mac OS High Sierra you will just see Sierra. Go disk utilty and create a disk this time clicking + and make a drive calling it Macintosh HD with the format Mac OS Extended. The fix is your removing the APFS system which is what is confusing the drive which for some reason apple can't figure out them self. Then just click install Mac OS and you should be good to go. Hope your all good and ask anything you need.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 23, 2017 9:43 AM in response to Ethoic In response to Ethoic

Hi friends,

I had the same problem as you - after deletion the drive did not show up. However, after I started Internet Reinstall and aborted it because no drive was selectable, I started Disk Utility again and the drive was there.

Could be that it just took the driver very long to be loaded.

Oct 15, 2017 2:23 AM in response to mr.nau In response to mr.nau

Yes. Delete all the drives because of the APFS system. Not the OS X System Base Though and Disk Image. You should later boot into recovery mode and click show all drives and and see a drive which you want to click on and make into a Mac OS Extended (Journled). For me I did see a drive resting there so take a good look.

Oct 22, 2017 4:20 PM in response to thatguy14242 In response to thatguy14242

I will be honest, this has been doing my nut in for 2 days, but I have finally cracked it! When rebooting I held down ‘command and r’ which went into internet recovery and then it is now installing El Capitan back on my MacBook Pro.

My fingers and toes are crossed!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 14, 2017 2:36 AM in response to amr67 In response to amr67

You should make a pre boot pen drive with older macos x on start from alt then in Disk utility erase disk in format macos extrnded call it Macintosh HD end start installation of operating system The Next Step is too upgrade system insight Mac OS

Oct 14, 2017 2:36 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 15, 2017 1:29 AM in response to ToniKroos In response to ToniKroos

From Another Mac komputer you should make pre boot pendrive with older version of Mac OS If I dont have any Macintosh you can do this with Windows By application transmac but first of all you need to have dmg file of mac os

Oct 15, 2017 1:29 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 15, 2017 2:23 AM in response to mr.nau In response to mr.nau

Yes. Delete all the drives because of the APFS system. Not the OS X System Base Though and Disk Image. You should later boot into recovery mode and click show all drives and and see a drive which you want to click on and make into a Mac OS Extended (Journled). For me I did see a drive resting there so take a good look.

Oct 15, 2017 2:23 AM

Reply Helpful (8)

Oct 15, 2017 2:25 AM in response to mr.nau In response to mr.nau

Could you send me a photo maybe. Make sure you deleted container disk 1 and all the other drives and not OS X Base System. Later boot into Internet Recovery and click see all drives and later you will see a drive waiting there which you then will make into a Mac OS Extened (Journled).

Oct 15, 2017 2:25 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 17, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Ethoic In response to Ethoic

Hello, I have tried to erase it and it fails. It’s details say “the volume ‘recovery’ on disks3 couldn’t be uncounted because it’s in use by process 0 (kernel)

Couldn’t unmount disk.

Operation failed...” do you know what this means, how to fix it and what I should do next?

Oct 17, 2017 10:14 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Ethoic

Question: FIX- Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install