Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to IOS 11 & Text Replacement Not Syncing!

Upgraded to IOS 11 & now Tex Replacement not syncing. I rely on this feature SO much, what a PITA. Apple: please fix this NOW. Any suggestions from users appreciated!

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.2, Text replacement sync not working!

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 3:51 PM

I experienced the exact same problem with iOS 11 on an iPhone 7. I found the solution in a different Apple Discussions thread for people who had experienced a similar problem after iOS 10 on an iPhone 6/6s. But it also works for iOS 11 & iPhone 7 as well.

Here’s how to fix it (I don’t know if each step is necessary, but I followed it step-by-step and it worked perfectly for me):

1. Go into Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement

2. There shouldn’t be any text replacement shortcuts listed

3. Go back to Keyboard (I had all of the auto-switches for Auto-Capitalization, Auto-Correction, Check Spelling, etc. enabled)

4. Turn off Auto-Capitalization, Auto-Correction and "." Shortcut

5. Immediately turn off** your phone without leaving the page (**to clarify: turn your phone off does not mean reset your phone; you have actually manually turn off your phone off the right way)

6. Wait a minute or so before turning it back on

7. Open up Settings > General > Keyboard

8. Turn back on all the switches that you turned off in step 4

9. Wait a minute or so, and then go into Text Replacement, and all your previously saved ones should be there again

I did this and got all of my ~200 text replacements back!

Other things I tried before this:

• signing out/back in to iCloud multiple times - didn’t work
  • adding/deleting new text replacements on the affected device - didn’t work
  • adding/deleting new ones on my MacBook - didn’t work

Hope this helps!

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 3:51 PM in response to Slideboy

I experienced the exact same problem with iOS 11 on an iPhone 7. I found the solution in a different Apple Discussions thread for people who had experienced a similar problem after iOS 10 on an iPhone 6/6s. But it also works for iOS 11 & iPhone 7 as well.

Here’s how to fix it (I don’t know if each step is necessary, but I followed it step-by-step and it worked perfectly for me):

1. Go into Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement

2. There shouldn’t be any text replacement shortcuts listed

3. Go back to Keyboard (I had all of the auto-switches for Auto-Capitalization, Auto-Correction, Check Spelling, etc. enabled)

4. Turn off Auto-Capitalization, Auto-Correction and "." Shortcut

5. Immediately turn off** your phone without leaving the page (**to clarify: turn your phone off does not mean reset your phone; you have actually manually turn off your phone off the right way)

6. Wait a minute or so before turning it back on

7. Open up Settings > General > Keyboard

8. Turn back on all the switches that you turned off in step 4

9. Wait a minute or so, and then go into Text Replacement, and all your previously saved ones should be there again

I did this and got all of my ~200 text replacements back!

Other things I tried before this:

• signing out/back in to iCloud multiple times - didn’t work
  • adding/deleting new text replacements on the affected device - didn’t work
  • adding/deleting new ones on my MacBook - didn’t work

Hope this helps!

Nov 12, 2017 4:48 AM in response to jtown913

Thanks very much jtown913. I have just set up my new iPhone X from my iPhone 6s, and the text replacement wasn't saving and the page was all blank. I followed your instructions, and within minutes, all my text replacements were reinstated. I had actually forgotten they all get saved via the iCloud so I didn't actually have to retype anything back in.

🙂

Nov 30, 2017 2:55 PM in response to jtown913

Thanks for the tip. This brought back the “On my way” default entry but not my list of several hundred in icloud. Phone is iPhone X, 11.2 beta5. Interestingly, when I add a shortcut on this iphone X device it shows up on all my other devices, and when I delete that new shortcut it is also quickly deleted across the other devices. But none of any test additions/changes/deletions made on the other devices ever reflects on the iPhone X. All the other devices are pre-iOS11 firmwares.

Synchronizing two columns of simple data should be trivial, yet Apple has managed to mangle it for 5 years now and wasted countless **millions** of hours of their customers’ precious time. It’s so appalling I simply have no words..

Dec 4, 2017 2:27 PM in response to stlgasman

I posted here days before you with the same exact behavior. I deleted all the new iPhone X test shortcuts and the default 'omw ' one. signed out of icloud. rebooted / hard reset three times in a row. Signed back in to icloud. Nothing. Rebooted daily and eventually they all came in. Haven't tested syncing any further - just happy to have them. Also turned on icloud contacts which i don't normally use.

I can't tell if any of the steps i did helped or not. I actually believe the shortcuts eventually come in on their own, as I am suspecting that Apple runs periodic batch syncing processes as a hack workaround to the buggy code. Perhaps bridging it to cloudkit. Not clear that this sync can be forced by the user, but honestly I don't know. Same thing happened to me ios 10. Came in eventually, then worked fine after that.

So...Try to do some triggering actions every day, plug phone in at night on WiFi, and eventually you'll likely get them. No other remedy but patience...

Jan 29, 2018 6:14 PM in response to timothy2112

I have exactly the same symptoms! All of my text replacement entries are on my iPad. My new iPhone 8 (IOS 11.2.5) has only "on my way" - when I add on my iPhone, it immediately appears on my iPad. Delete on my iPhone, immediately disappears on my iPad. But the sync is working only one way, i.e., anything that I add on the iPad does not appear on the iPhone!

Jan 30, 2018 5:31 PM in response to baship

did you try the solution suggested by jtown973 earlier in this thread?

I would suggest give it a try — it didn’t work for me initially, so i did a fresh (encrypted) backup and factory iOS restore/ restore backup , using itunes. This puts a fresh original copy of iOS in place, replacing the series of incremental OTA updates I had previously.

Then I used jtown973’s solution and it worked the first try. You do have to follow the steps *exactly* as written, right down to which specific keyboard options to toggle off, then later back on again. Good luck!

Upgraded to IOS 11 & Text Replacement Not Syncing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.