Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lots of bugs in ios 11.0.3 on iPhone 6s

Hi Apple,

What have you done with ios 11. Even after 3 updates the stability is terrible.

First of all: a lot of apps aren't working right. they keep crashing or the whole ios crashes and i have to do a hard reset. Even the apps that have been updated work insanly bad.

Second: random ios bugs. like wifi crashing the music app or the volume indicator just stops working. the apps in the bottom part of the screen disappear? the list goes on and on and on.

Last: The battery. i mean my device now only has like 60% of the batterylife it had before. you guys really screwed us over with this terrible update...

please fix asap.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 2:44 AM

1) I haven't seen lots of apps crashing but if they are, that needs to be brought to the attention of the app provider, whether Apple or someone else.

2) I've never seen Wi-Fi crash anything, or the volume indicator stop working. If you have elements disappearing from the bottom of your screen you may also have a hardware issue causing problems on your device.

3) Battery - same here. If you are seeing continual battery issues, take your phone in to be diagnosed; the most common cause of excessive battery draw is a third party app that is not compatible with iOS 11 is stuck in a loop, drawing power.

351 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2017 2:44 AM in response to just1nc4s3

1) I haven't seen lots of apps crashing but if they are, that needs to be brought to the attention of the app provider, whether Apple or someone else.

2) I've never seen Wi-Fi crash anything, or the volume indicator stop working. If you have elements disappearing from the bottom of your screen you may also have a hardware issue causing problems on your device.

3) Battery - same here. If you are seeing continual battery issues, take your phone in to be diagnosed; the most common cause of excessive battery draw is a third party app that is not compatible with iOS 11 is stuck in a loop, drawing power.

Oct 12, 2017 3:51 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

1) well facebook, instagram and snapchat work like **** for me. constantly freezing and sometimes totally crashing my ios.

2) well just because something doesn't happen for you doesn't mean it never does.... and before the ios 11 update i didn't have any of this problems and btw its a 4 month old iphone.

3) well now you are just saying things like ''did you know the earth is round?''

Im not a complete idiot with IT im actually a IT major at the university utrecht. so i recognize bad programming and system engineering..

Oct 17, 2017 8:37 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

William K.,

I am confused by the tone of your thread to just1nc4s3. I have over 30 years of pc and mac experience. I worked in IT for 16 years on had a consulting company servicing business customers computers and application needs, in three states before that. I help numerous people on mac and pc platforms with all operating systems. I too, have ongoing iPhone 6s and wireless problems. I have spent the last week, deciding to finally resolve it. Email and cellular have also been problematic. I realize despite my experience, this maybe a total user problem. All that does not qualify me for any anything on an iPhone. It does clarify, that I am not someone who isn't "smart enough".

I really don't care what "millions" of other people are experiencing or reporting. I am interested in solving my problem, even if I am the only person in the world either having it, or when I am willing to take time to request help from any resource. I respect and appreciate help. I often skip over commenting on any thread that goes off course than contributions to solving the problem. I move on to other places, in search of help. It sounds like you are experienced William, I just would hope that you could help us resolve our problems, or point us to other resources. Regardless, the success of any community is do to active participants such as yourself. So, thank you for your involvement.

Oct 31, 2017 6:25 AM in response to Youaintpunk

Youaintpunk wrote:

1571 people have this question William. Drop in the ocean though, right?

Right. 500 million phones (roughly) have been updated. 1571/500,000,000 = 0.0003%. Or 99.999% do not have a problem.

Want to see a REAL problem? This is from several years ago, when there were only 100 million phones (and a real problem that affected about 5% of them):

User uploaded file

That's 2.6 million views if you can't read it. About half of the users who faced the problem.

The point is not the statistics; it is the fact that, though the problem is real, it is localized to a few phones relatively. And the problem most likely doesn't have the same cause for all of them. So the solution is not to bemoan your fate in a forum, it is to contact Apple Support directly using the link at the top of this page. I've had the unfortunate need to contact Apple support 3 times, for 3 different problems, in the past 2 months. They were friendly and helpful in resolving two of them; the third has been escalated to Apple engineering, who contacts me every 3 days with progress updates and to get additional information. And no, they do not know that I am active in Apple Support Communities.

Oct 12, 2017 4:47 AM in response to just1nc4s3

Then you're smart enough to realize that if the OS were truly causing these issues there would be tens of thousands of users out of the millions using iOS 11 complaining of the same issues here - and there are not.

It's too bad those apps are crashing for you, but they're not for literally millions of others.

If you've tried reinstalling iOS 11 already:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I would suggest taking your phone in to your local Apple Store for diagnosis as there is apparently something unique to your iPhone causing them.

Oct 23, 2017 9:46 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

William Kucharski wrote:

Then you're smart enough to realize that if the OS were truly causing these issues there would be tens of thousands of users out of the millions using iOS 11 complaining of the same issues here - and there are not.

It's too bad those apps are crashing for you, but they're not for literally millions of others.

If you've tried reinstalling iOS 11 already:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I would suggest taking your phone in to your local Apple Store for diagnosis as there is apparently something unique to your iPhone causing them.

William,

Thanks for the sensible advice and the excellent example of not losing your temper. Of course, I suspect you're setting another good example by not following this thread anymore.

Oct 24, 2017 6:38 PM in response to comfygringo

As you're an engineer, I would definitely recommend you sign up for a free developer account and report your issues here:

https://bugreport.apple.com/web/

You may get a direct response to your issues or requests for more information that way.

You also should know the difference between transmission codecs; AAC is not proprietary per se and aptX is an optional high resolution codec for Bluetooth.

Dec 22, 2017 7:00 AM in response to il.lampros

il.lampros

***** Anyway you may be eligible for a free battery replacement if you have an iPhone 6S made in fall of 2015 you can check for that here iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues - Apple Support There likely will be any number of class action suits over the slowing down of phones and the battery problems with the iPhones so if you do have repairs please keep your receipts. Sorry for people making fun of your English its perfectly understandable.

<Edited by Host>

Oct 23, 2017 11:17 PM in response to just1nc4s3

Hi,

Having wonderful experience as well, but with iPhone 8 Plus. Most annoying ones

• Taking a picture can freeze the mobile for several seconds. Phone recovers gracefully, but in Analytics / Diagnostics you can see stacks+backboardd crashed same time stamp.
  • Mobile loses WiFi, switches to LTE, goes belly up i.e. freezes until some 15-30 seconds later WiFi is back, after which suddenly mobile starts to respond again almost as normal. After this various slowdowns remain until mobile is restarted.

I had session with Apple support, and they run remote diagnostics and stated based in what they collected the hardware side is good, but some issues with software and that they would like to investigate further by first doing factory reset and restore vanilla iOS using iTunes. I stopped the game at this point, as I did full vanilla setup of mobile last year with iOS 10 ending up having most of the issues after spending full weekend configuring all the dozens of apps and configuration options. So no thanks. ios upgrade HAS to be robust enough to handle upgrade process without user ending up having to do vanilla install each year and losing some data doing it.

So.. enduring.. waiting. And hope ios 11.x and following releases will fix major issues. Tired though considering how well 10 was working (eventually).

with iPhone 8 migration: did upgrade of old mobile (7+) to iOS 11. Took encrypted backup in iTunes. Did factory restore to iPhone 8 with latest full iOS download. Restored from 7+ backup old data. Finally tweaked couple of last applications settings manually where needed.

..and here we are now. Searching various forums with *freez* among other things.

Interestingly, iPad Pro 10 works almost flawlessly with same migration steps done from Air 2. Actually, a joy to use. Maybe this iOS version was “iPad first”.

Best regards,

Petri

Oct 25, 2017 11:41 AM in response to just1nc4s3

I have been having the same problems ever since upgrading to 11.0.3. Everything has been a mess on my iPhone 6. I even bought a new iPhone 8 in hopes that a new phone would not have the same problems. As soon as I started the new phone - SAME PROBLEMS!

I have been researching and finally found something that seems to have corrected the issues - maybe it will work for you, too? This will re-format your phone, so make sure you have a backup on iCloud and you will go through the whole set up process. I did this once yesterday and no luck. Tried it again today and it worked! Everything I have tried is working correctly - including overheating phone, no access to iMusic, apps not opening, unable to sync with iTunes, etc. Hope this helps!

I found this on www.appletoolbox.com:

Try a Forced Restart

How-To Perform a Forced Restart on iPhone models

• On an iPhone 6S or below plus all iPads & iPod Touches, press Home and Power at the same time until you see the Apple logo
  • For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo
  • On an iPhone X or iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and promptly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo

Oct 25, 2017 12:53 PM in response to just1nc4s3

Just wanted to chime in too.

iPhone 6S, working totally fine in 10.3.3.

Since installing 11 (all 3 releases) I have the following issues (same goes for a few of my friends with same phone):

1. Battery life is half of what it was. I never used to charge during the day until it was plugged in at bedtime, now if i don't plug it in when i get to work it dies after lunch. I had to purchase a battery pack for when I travel otherwise my phone won't make it through the day, it used to make it to the end of the day with at least 30% battery remaining without any charging.
  2. LTE signal strength went from 4 bars to 2 bars, in the exact same location at my work desk. I noticed this as soon as it rebooted from installing iOS 11, and it has never come back. Same for in my bedroom on my side table, it used to be 4 bars, now it is 2. In chapters i used to be able to surf internet on LTE, now in the exact same spot i have one bar, and it isn't enough to pass any data, so i can no longer surf. I have heard same complaint from a user on Telus, I am on Bell. I feel like low signal may be cause of battery life issue, as typically holding on to a low signal is pretty strenuous on the battery.
  3. Cellular usage counter reset all by itself, so now i don't know how much data i have used this month, it says last reset time was "never". I did not reset it, it happened all by itself.
  4. Swiping right from homescreen to bring up wiglets, once they are up, they usually crash and return me to homescreen.

What I have tried:

1. Reset network settings
  2. Disable all settings that use battery (location, push/fetch, background refresh, raise to wake, siri always listening, auto brightness, etc)
  3. Low power mode
  4. Soft reboot
  5. Hard reboot
  6. Restore phone using iTunes and reload icloud backup
  7. Restore phone using iTunes as NEW phone, without any of my apps or settings

None of the above have fixed the issues. My case has been escalated to apple engineering dept, but they have yet to call me back. Bell advises that they have not changed anything that would result in lower signal strength.

Some people say that iOS 11.1 will fix all our issues, but since they have not even been acknowledged, I'm hesitant to believe that they will be fixed.

Lots of bugs in ios 11.0.3 on iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.