Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri cuts me off constantly

Is there a way to make Siri give you more time to speak before jumping in and cutting you off? She's got me in the habit of speed talking. And even then, without me even pausing, she cuts me off in the middle of my question or dictated text. It's driving me nuts and making Siri virtually unusable.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:25 PM

Siri - the personal assistant that should be fired. What’s the point in having features like “Hey Siri” if you can’t even finish your sentence? I very rarely use Siri and on the odd occasion I do I am reminded why I don’t use it. Perhaps Apple needs to maybe take a look at Amazon Echo to see how voice recognition should work. I have one and it is a thousand million times better. I mean I literally have to shout at my phone for it to hear me and if it does it cuts me off anyway. It is INFURIATING! Sort it out!!!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 6:25 PM in response to Walden09

Siri - the personal assistant that should be fired. What’s the point in having features like “Hey Siri” if you can’t even finish your sentence? I very rarely use Siri and on the odd occasion I do I am reminded why I don’t use it. Perhaps Apple needs to maybe take a look at Amazon Echo to see how voice recognition should work. I have one and it is a thousand million times better. I mean I literally have to shout at my phone for it to hear me and if it does it cuts me off anyway. It is INFURIATING! Sort it out!!!

Jan 12, 2018 5:13 PM in response to Walden09

Yep, same issue. I figured maybe it would be resolved after a while, nope.

I'm starting to love my Google Home so much I'm considering leaving Apple entirely; lots of things adding up for me to not enjoy iOS/Siri/Apple anymore (e.g. Siri cutting me off, not as intelligent as Google Assistant, missing headphone jack on newer phones, no TouchID, etc). Not to mention the battery issues.

Nov 15, 2017 11:07 AM in response to 2000CAD

I have this same issue with the new iPhone X and my new iWatch Series 3. I can get around 6 to 7 words out before Siri stops listening - that's even when speaking very quickly, without pausing. Although I've found your solution to work, one of the best features (or should be) about Siri is it is hands-free.

Apple must introduce a sensitivity setting so users who speak fast or slow can optimally configure to their needs. 😠

Jan 23, 2018 1:09 PM in response to 2000CAD

Except that she used to do a better job of not cutting you off. Its much more convenient to use "Hey Siri" and I have been for awhile. It seems like in the past 8-12 months she's cut me off faster than she used to- even when I think I'm speaking fairly quickly. It is very frustrating because it makes Siri less useful and slower to use.

Feb 28, 2018 3:29 AM in response to Walden09

I have also been getting this issue for a few months now. It’s terrible! You used to be able to speak normally, and I loved that she would allow you to pause and think while speaking. Now I can’t even get to say a person's name and the word mobile, even if I speak without pausing, she cuts me off and asks if I want to call mobile, work or home. So annoying!!

Feb 25, 2018 2:56 PM in response to jer16

jer16 wrote:

I agree, NumbersinPgh. If Siri is meant for VI and blind people, or those who cannot tap, then it doesn't do what it says.

(I tapped on Helpful before replying but nothing happened)

Fortunately, it seems to be a problem a very small number of people have. That doesn't help much if you're one of those people, of course. I can and do use "Hey, Siri..." completely hands free. It never cuts me off. I can't tell you what the difference is, though.

Mar 1, 2018 8:44 AM in response to jer16

The power button enables Siri on an iphoneX... because there is no home button to push, but for anything with a home button, that's what you press and hold.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/12/31/how-access-siri-iphone-x/

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me as I'm trying to do the whole hands free in the car thing... holding down a button defeats the point of 'hey siri'.

Common Apple, fix the issue. (I have submitted a feedback form... but since they never even acknowledge that they are working on it, it isn't very satisfying.)

Mar 1, 2018 9:39 AM in response to SnakeDog

SnakeDog wrote:

Common Apple, fix the issue. (I have submitted a feedback form... but since they never even acknowledge that they are working on it, it isn't very satisfying.)

As it doesn't appear to be a common problem, you're probably better off contacting customer support directly. If possible, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Show them exactly what's happening.

Siri cuts me off constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.