Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my iOS 11.0.3 iPhone to play Netflix on my tv through the lightening to hdmi adapter

Since I updated to iOS 11, Netflix videos will not play on my tv through the lightening to hdmi at cord. When you press play on a title, the loading screen pops up but the title actually starts to play, the loading screen on the tv freezes and the title plays on the phone screen

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 1:00 AM

47 replies

Oct 13, 2017 1:24 PM in response to TexasPete89

Hey TexasPete89,

Thanks for reaching out for help in Apple Support Communities. I can see that you're having issues playing videos from the Netflix app on your iPhone to your TV since the recent update. There are a few factors that can affect this recent change but I'd be glad to help address this to get this working the way it used to. To begin, have you checked to make sure the Netflix app is up to date? Have you tested different HDMI ports on your TV to see if anything changes? What about simply restarting your device?

Try the steps in the link below and let me know if this helps.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can also try to remove the Netflix app and re-download it.
Redownload music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store

If these steps don't resolve this issue, you may want to consider reaching out to the App developers regarding this using the steps below.
  1. Find the app in the App Store.
  2. Tap the app, then tap Reviews.
  3. Underneath App Store Customer Reviews, tap App Support.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Dec 4, 2017 5:44 PM in response to TexasPete89

After 55 minutes on the phone with Netflix, they finally told me it’s been an issue for several months. They tried to blame it on Apple...but it’s the Netflix engineers that have not been able to keep up with updates & glitches. Call Netflix and complain - I’m getting a credit for this month’s fee, but I’d rather be able to Airplay or mirror my iOS downloaded content for Netflix!! Everything will play from my Apple device EXCEPT for Netflix!

Nov 27, 2017 5:35 AM in response to TexasPete89

I am having the same issue. I have tried with both Apple TV and a Apple lightning to HDMI and it does the same thing. The screen show up and freezes but I can hear sound. I wish I could figure out a way to do this. We go camping a lot without a good WiFi signal and would love to download shows to watch on my phone/mirror to the TV. We also tried with DirecTV app and it just gives an error message.

Dec 6, 2017 4:59 AM in response to Kenbobby1

I feel you! I have it set up to run a slideshow for my business (Keynote) and after iOS 11 update it is so glitchy, will run for a while and then quit and get stuck in a loop and the screen(s) will go black until I close the app, reopen and then press play again.. Just annoying to mess with when you're busy and have customers who want to read your information.. Please Apple, let me know if there is a resolution to this because it is costing me business...

I'm about to hang 3 more TVs for Menu Boards and want to figure out what is best to resolve this situation and make it work fluid like it did up until the release of iOS 11.

Dec 11, 2017 10:03 AM in response to iefeiqwubfeiubv

I Just spent a good bit of time on the phone with Netflix- The Kid I was talking to was not aware of the issue and tried to walk me through the normal steps (re-download app, new HDMI cable, power phone down...)- I had already done all of these, and had also tried several TV's and even a second Apple TV unit- I finally convinced him that it wasn't operator error, or a hardware issue- He then put me on hold for 5 minutes- when he came back, he did say that there was an internal company bulletin stating that some people are having this exact problem, and that Netflix is working with Apple to try and fix it- I said that I have had this problem for about two months and asked how long they have been working on it- he replied, "about two months, but there are more cases coming in each day". He went on to say the "this whole download thing is fairly new to Netflix, and this is just another bug they are trying to work out". I asked if there was a way I could be notified when it was fixed- he said no- I should just check back each day- but until it is fixed, you can still watch streaming content over your apple TV (true, but not with slow internet out in the country)-

It would have been nice if if the company had sent out a notice to its subscribers when the issue first arose- I bet I have 20 hours invested in trouble shooting this issue-

No fix as of now.....back to DVD's! (On a side note, he did not offer to give me a credit for the months in which it did not work)-

Dec 14, 2017 6:53 AM in response to micky5752

micky5752 wrote:

I feel you! I have it set up to run a slideshow for my business (Keynote) and after iOS 11 update it is so glitchy, will run for a while and then quit and get stuck in a loop and the screen(s) will go black until I close the app, reopen and then press play again.. Just annoying to mess with when you're busy and have customers who want to read your information.. Please Apple, let me know if there is a resolution to this because it is costing me business...

I'm about to hang 3 more TVs for Menu Boards and want to figure out what is best to resolve this situation and make it work fluid like it did up until the release of iOS 11.

As your post has nothing to do with the Netflix app or using HDMI to show it on a television, it is both more polite and more effective to start your own thread. You will be far more likely to get the help you need.

Also, you will not receive an answer from Apple here. This is a user-to-user support forum. Apple's participation is minimal.

Best of luck.

Dec 16, 2017 8:30 PM in response to ricmarto

This does not work resetting the settings does nothing. It's the Netflix app. The problem is mirroring downloaded Netflix shows or movies using the apple lightning, streaming work fine. I use this when traveling or camping. I am running iOS 11.0.1 on my iPad and it all was working great but then we stopped at a Starbucks in the middle of our trip and I updated the Netflix app today December 16 2017 and now it will not mirror downloaded shows or movies. You can get the sound on the TV but not the video. I am wondering if there is way to downgrade the app version. Maybe not a good idea to always update.

How can I get my iOS 11.0.3 iPhone to play Netflix on my tv through the lightening to hdmi adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.