Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview's "open all files in one window" not working

"open all files in one window" in Preview not working since OS 10.13 update. All newly open files open in a new and separate window - not matter which setting is selected in Preview>Preference>Images>"When Opening Files:"

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Preview

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 1:00 PM

24 replies

Oct 14, 2017 12:52 PM in response to KarmaCowboy

Hello KarmaCowboy,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to open multiple PDFs in one window with the Preview app on your MacBook Pro. You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Display several files in one Preview window - Apple Support

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

Cheers!

Oct 15, 2017 10:56 AM in response to dialabrain

"Nothing to do with opening multiple PDFs in multiple tabs."

I understand what the OP wants and didn't mean to emphasize tabs, they are just there because I have "Always open documents in Tabs" turned on in System Preferences > Dock. Out of interest I turned this tabs option off, and now I can't open my PDFs in one window either, which is new to me! So maybe the answer is to have the tabs option turned on? And Preview on my System still has the option to open in one window (sorry about the German!):

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2017 10:53 PM in response to dianeoforegon

FWIW, this is the sticking point for some. This is from the SLA for Sierra but most versions of the OS are similar.

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software

within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is

already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during

software development; (c) using macOS Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.

Make of it what you will.

Link to the SLAs Legal - Software License Agreements - Apple

Dec 9, 2017 6:15 PM in response to Chopper9

I could say the same about users like you, that come to these forums and assumes that the "experts" here work for Apple.

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. If you want Apple to know about your problem send Apple feedback:

BugReporter http://bugreporter.apple.com

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter. Setup a free account

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

How to attach a sysdiagnose to send Bug Report

Mac OS X Feedback (no account needed)

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Oct 15, 2017 6:51 PM in response to KarmaCowboy

I understand this is an important feature for many users. I'm offering two alternative suggestions for users that need this feature now. Neither are free. Sorry!

1) Check out PDFpen or PDFpenPro. Both versions have demo you can try first.

https://smilesoftware.com/pdfpen

Besides the drag and drop thumbnails, they offer these additional options:

• Combining Two or More PDFs Using AppleScript
  • Merge Every Other

Search in Help: Combine PDFs for details.

2) Install a prior version macOS in a VM using Parallels or VMware.

Based on prior experience when Apple removed a feature much to the loud lamentations of many users, the feature was never added back. Tags as dots rather than labels comes to mind as one of the most vocal requests ever to bring back the old behavior.

I used to say it would be a cold day in July when Microsoft would add support for syncing contacts and calendars to anything other than Exchange. Well, I ate my words when they added support for outlook.com and Google this year. Still haven't added iCloud support though.

Oct 15, 2017 10:10 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrain!

"FWiW, the feature has been removed. You can open one PDF first then drag the rest into the Preview sidebar."

Er, no, not quite, at least not on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13 (German version). Preview 10.0 still has the "open all files in one window" option! I use it a lot.

Just to try it out again I selected 3 random PDFs and opened them together. Everything worked as it should, all in one window with 3 tabs showing at the top.

But to be quite honest I've no idea if this option was maybe missing when I did a clean install of HS, but I recently installed the High Sierra supplemental upgrade, so maybe that fixed it? Or could this be some anomaly between the English OS and German OS? Just thought I´d let you know...🙂 Cheers, Ian.

Oct 15, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Ian Leckie

Ian Leckie wrote:

So maybe the answer is to have the tabs option turned on?

No the answer to open multiple PDFs in one window is not to have them open in multiple tabs. Tabs are basically the same as multiple windows in a more convenient form.

There is a way to do it as I showed in my screen shot and have explained quite a few times.

The feature that was removed is to have PDFs behave in the same way as images, as Preview did previous to High Sierra.

Oct 15, 2017 8:38 PM in response to dialabrain

I don't think the apps could publish instructions if it weren't legal. I seem to remember way back you had to buy a server version to legally installed but sometime around Mavericks that changed so you can use the installer in a VM.

You can even install Sierra for free using Parallels Lite.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/04/11/run-macos-virtual-machine-easy-parallels/

I have Snow Leopard installed using Snow Leopard Server. I bought my copy in August 2016.

Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

Dec 9, 2017 1:14 PM in response to dialabrain

Nothing chaps my *** more than someone coming to these forums with a legitimate workflow problem that sprung up after an update... and the "experts" start talking about booting in safe mode and other time-wasting nonsense instead of addressing the problem. This has been an issue in my office since the last update as well. It has nothing to do with any conflicting software, or non-apple plug-ins. THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH PREVIEW. FIX IT!

Preview's "open all files in one window" not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.