Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System admin appearing on lock screen after stand by

Hi all

I installed High Sierra in a clean system. After I restored only the user data from time machine for me and my wife.

When my wife is logged on and she left the MacBook Pro unattended for sometime, when she tries to wake it up, instead of her user it comes up with a system administrator profile. She has to ask to switch user to be able to access her user. It only happens to her not my user.

This is not a normal behaviour. As users, that I can at least see, there's she, me and guest which is disabled.

How can I fix it ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 10:27 AM

72 replies

Mar 2, 2018 2:30 PM in response to liv0123

I failed to state the first, most integral step in that you must go into Single User mode first. Please do an external backup if possible, first, and use the following steps with care.

1. Restart your Mac in single user mode:

* (Command - S after powering on)

Continue holding the keys until you see

white text on the screen.

• If you're using FileVault, release the keys when you see the login window. Then log in to continue startup in single-user or verbose mode.
  • If you're using a firmware password, you must turn off the password before you can start up in single-user or verbose mode

2. When the terminal prompt appears, you will

enter the following commands. After every

command press enter:

• mount -uw /
  • rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
  • reboot

3. This will allow you to go into setup assistant, and you can then set up an administrator user. After, you can then change your standard user as an administrator.

Please note:

After you reboot the computer and you are taken to the Setup Assistant, there will come a point in which a prompt will ask you to set up your new user account. This is where you create a new admin account.

*****IMPORTANT: Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system.

When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

If setup assistant does not initiate as happens in many cases specific to this, then you would force initiate it to begin setup assistant.

Version 10.13.3/MacBook Pro

Oct 15, 2017 11:50 AM in response to andrelfs

Exact same thing here, except that I didn't restore any backups whatsoever on a brand new 2017 MacBook Pro with touch bar; started on it as new as possible.

Also, all you have to do is lock the screen to see the user as "System Administrator", BUT my TouchID works just fine in it, which seems to indicate that it is in fact my user there, just labeled differently and without my user icon.

Oct 24, 2017 4:23 PM in response to basge123

basge123 wrote:

My install has Filevault enabled but there isn't a user specific setting for unlocking FileVault, is there?

Yes, there is. Each user account must be individually authorized to unlock the FileVault volume.

The controls are on the FileVault panel of System Preferences > Security & Privacy, but they only appear if you have some user accounts that are not yet authorized. In the case, you'll see something like this:

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2017 5:20 PM in response to andrelfs

Hey All,

For me the problem looks more promient , the moment I lock my screen I do get "System Administrator" prompt instead of My accountName. I do not need to wait for system to auto lock.

There are two admin accounts in my MAC. Looks like the problem is where two admin accounts are present.

accounts are present. This issue seems started happeing after updating recent high sierra security patch[10.13.2 (17C88)]

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thanks

Nov 8, 2017 6:19 PM in response to Axel-F1

If you are the first administrator of the computer , in security and privacy > General > check the box of require password as " immediately " ( use drop down arrows to select from options ) after sleep or screen saver begins , in users and groups keep automatic login as off and check the box of disable automatic login .

Have you enabled file vault .Also when file vault is enabled automatic login is disabled .

See this article macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Also in system preferences > iCloud keep back to my Mac box as unchecked .

Nov 28, 2017 7:35 PM in response to andrelfs

I have a sneaking suspicion that our problem is related to this just-discovered issue: https://www.macworld.com/article/3238868/macs/macos-high-sierra-root-security-is sue-allows-admin-access-to-your-macbut-t…

When I tested if I was affected by this very dangerous bug, I was. And sure enough, once "root" was activated via the initial exploit I had an "Other…" option appear on the Login Window. Clicking on this and using User "root" and a blank password, I was taken to a desktop window for an account named "System Administrator".

I've followed the steps Apple's detailed here: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support. "Guest User" is also off. I wonder if this issue will disappear now too...

Dec 9, 2017 5:13 AM in response to s4mp0

it's attached to the other account of my two accounts in this computer.

Can you explain what you mean by that? I've never seen anything "attached" to a user account.

If you mean that you see Other listed on the login screen along with other user accounts, check to see if root is enabled and disable it:

How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2018 8:41 AM in response to Ornikar

I had this problem too, and this procedure fixed it. Steps to replicate issue:

• two users, both logged in
  • goto second user account and lock screen --> Admin account login screen shows up

One difference I had was that the second account was marked as SysAdmin (in the original post the second account wasn't). So I had to reverse the process:

• revoke sysAdmin, reboot
  • reinstate sysAdmin, reboot

After each reboot I verified that the problem was resolved.

I too noticed that when revoking sysAdmin, I had to hit the checkbox 2x.

Oct 29, 2017 6:26 AM in response to andrelfs

It isn't normal. It should pop up to the user that was active when it went to sleep.

Check in Security & Privacy System Preferences to see if she is set to log out after so many minutes.

The setting is in the General tab under Advanced button. You have to unlock the padlock to get to Advanced.

Also, can you determine if the Mac is crashing while sleeping and automatically rebooting?

Nov 4, 2017 10:07 AM in response to andrelfs

I'm having the same problem, on a MBP 15" Late 2016. Also did a clean install of macOS 10.13, there are 2 users, both with TouchID enabled, and FileVault is enabled for all users. There is no "System Administrator" account showing in System Preferences' Users & Groups on either of our accounts.

It just happened when I went to log in about 30 minutes ago. There was 28 minutes between when my wife finished using the MBP in her account and when I went to use it with my account. Per powerd, it showed "User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileEntering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active" when she finished using it, followed by "DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNP] due to ARPT/Network:" and "Summary- [System: PrevIdle SRPrevSleep kCPU] Using Batt(Charge: 74)" when I woke it.

When I woke the computer, it was displaying "System Administrator" as the account that was logged in, with a generic avatar. Neither my password nor her password worked to unlock from this screen, and I had to select "Switch User" and then log into my account. I haven't been keeping track of when this has been happening, but it's been numerous times on both 10.12.x and now 10.13.x. Very annoying.

Nov 4, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Mike Stitzer

I should add that running "

dscacheutil -q user | grep -A 3-B 2-e uid:\ 5'[0-9][0-9]'
" shows only the expected user accounts for myself and my wife, while "
dscl . list /Users| grep -v "^_"
" shows the expected user accounts and also the expected daemon, nobody, and root.

Running "

dscl . -list /Users" shows the same list of numerous background accounts (all with the underscore prefix) as detailed as part of a normal 10.12 install here: mac - Has my macOS Sierra system been infected by unknown users? - Super User

So I don't think there's any worry about a hack, but rather a bug in macOS. I don't recall every seeing this on my previous MBP 15" 2009 or my iMac, so I would guess it's a TouchBar/TouchID related bug.

Nov 8, 2017 1:13 PM in response to tygb

In my case these option have not been changed since before the High Sierra update and look perfectly fine to me. Yet the problem started right after the update, so I suspect a connection.

It should be noted that there is quite some delay when I click switch user when the System Administrator lock screen shows.

System admin appearing on lock screen after stand by

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.