Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to iOS 11.0.0, 2 days later iPhone (6s Plus) stuck on boot logo and wont recover either.

I have an iPhone 6s plus that I updated to iOS 11.0.0, about a day or two after its release on the 19th of September. It worked fine for 2 days. On day 3, when I woke up I saw that my iPhone was stuck on the boot logo (black apple logo with white background). I had plugged it in to a transcend usb 3 hub connected to my macbook which was in closed lid clamshell mode.

Since then, each time I connect it to iTunes, it shows the phone is in recovery mode. All attempts to recover or restore the phone with firmwares either directly downloaded by itunes or by manually downloading it from developer.apple.com (be it ios 11.0.0, 11.0.1 or 11.0.2), and with genuine apple lightning cables directly connected to the macbook's usb port, have failed. I have tried it on 2 macbooks, each have two usb ports. One of them got the High sierra update and tried again on high sierra as well. I have the most current iTunes version installed. And if thats not enough, I have tried it with 3 different original apple lightning cables!

I keep getting error 09.

Apple Support on chat advised me to try and clean the lightning connector on the iPhone, which I did, and when it didn't work either, on their advice I took it to an authorised service center.

At the service center they made the same attempt but the restore process failed. Since my iPhone is out of warranty I was asked to pay for a replacement. I was told my iPhone isn't even being detected in their service center softwares, let alone be able to run diagnostic test to find the fault. The cost to find the fault by opening an out of warranty iPhone is less than one tenth the cost of a replacement but I was told thats not an option as the team in Bangalore that authorises such requests would reject it! As, in any case, the customer eventually has to pay up the cost of the replacement of an iPhone that cannot be detected at the first place! This, as I was told, is to save the customer from an 'unneeded' expense of a hardware check.

As ridiculous as it sounds, this means having to not only bear a cost which is much higher than the resale value of the device, and living up with only 6 months of warranty given on an out-of-warranty replacement device, and never knowing if there was some problem that other hardware I use with my iPhone (like the USB hub or the Apple lightning dock) might have caused, but also, if there was a mistake from the side of Apple when I had got my phone's broken display replaced with a replacement cost.

In any case, I am not spending any money on a replacement device which won't get me half the amount on a resale.

Is there anyway, I can get it up and running?

Note: have tried the recovery process by manually trying to enter the recovery/dfu mode several times, as well.

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 11:40 AM

13 replies

Nov 16, 2017 7:24 PM in response to AceNeerav

Having the exact same issue! Stuck in boot cycle trying to update never reaching 100%. Went to the Apple Store and was told its a hardware issue after they couldn't get the phone to update via iTunes or enter DFU mode. How is it that prior to the update the phone was fine and now I have to pay for a replacement?

Come on Apple, I used to love your products. This really makes me consider my options before I need to dish out $450 for a replacement phone!

Dec 31, 2017 6:36 PM in response to AceNeerav

I have the exact same issue with my iphone 7 plus 128gb, its a month out of warranty, i have find a solution which gets the phone up and running again but then after a few days to a week i run in to the same problem. i have spoken to apple support which told me its to do with defective hardware within the device. think after my contract is up im going to completely move away from apple. Stayed with them since the very first iphone release and they are unable to offer me assistance with a common fault like this and insist i buy a new device! What kind of customer service it that. Anyway the fix i have find consists of deleting and reinstalling itunes on the mac, put the phone into DFU mode, allow it to get stuck at the verifying update page, then disconnect the phone, place it in DFU mode once again and allow itunes to run the restore again, repeat these steps a couple of times then give the next try like 15 minutes to run through, and with a little luck as with mine you will come back to a new factory settings copy of IOS installed. Better then nothing though. Hope this helps as many of you as possible and i hope somebody from apple reads this and accepts liability for a flaw in their hardware and offer to fix these devices for free as a token of good will. Its unacceptable that a 1 year old device that has been looked after to the best of my ability and looks in the condition it would when i purchased it should run in to hardware faults such as this, you guys have had 10 years to perfect the iphone!!

Feb 13, 2018 9:46 AM in response to amgmestre

You will have to clean the connector with a thin piece of cloth and then check. I have a burn mark on my lightning cable's connector as well.

I normally buy a new iPhone every 2 years. Today I got my 6th iPhone. While i write to you, I am setting up my new iPhone. Hope apple doesn't disappoint. Used android for 4 months. For what it costs, android is not bad at all. But i am used to the ease of use of an iphone.

Updated to iOS 11.0.0, 2 days later iPhone (6s Plus) stuck on boot logo and wont recover either.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.