Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus Screen Auto Dimming

I purchased the new iPhone 8 Plus 256gb Gold and noticed that even with Auto-Brightness, Night Mode, True Tone and other relevant display settings turned off, that the screen was auto dimming whilst actively using the phone in different environments and light. I tried changing my auto lock setting to see if this helped but it did not. I even removed my tempered glass screen protector think it may be affecting the screen brightness, but this failed to resolve the issue. The iphone was restored twice but still no luck. I also noticed that upon restarting the phone the screen brightness would default to 0% and I would have to try and view the dim screen to access Control Centre to turn my brightness up again (frustrating and tedious). My iPhone 8 Plus was replaced and now I have my second iPhone 8 Plus doing exactly the same! I have even set this new iphone up as a new device to ensure that no issues/bugs were transferred from my back-up. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues with the new iPhone 8 Plus or 8 as there is limited information reported online about this issue? I would be interested to hear from people as Apple have not had any reports of it either so are trying to ascertain what is going on. At present, I am just monitoring my iPhone and when this "dimming' issues occurs again I have to try and screen record it so Apple can see. Thanks 🙂

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.0.3, 256gb Gold

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 1:05 PM

Ive experienced the exact same thing.. went back to the store to exchange my phone to a newer one.. what happens is I always have my screen 100% brightness with all the auto dimming settings off and when I start using an app approx. 8 - 15 mins, it starts dimming to 75%, then gets stuck at 50%.. it wouldnt change brightness until 5 mins later.. its irritating because i cant see whats on my phone on bright areas..

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2017 1:05 PM in response to kimmh72

Ive experienced the exact same thing.. went back to the store to exchange my phone to a newer one.. what happens is I always have my screen 100% brightness with all the auto dimming settings off and when I start using an app approx. 8 - 15 mins, it starts dimming to 75%, then gets stuck at 50%.. it wouldnt change brightness until 5 mins later.. its irritating because i cant see whats on my phone on bright areas..

Jan 20, 2018 6:48 AM in response to kimmh72

Apple's making us work for it. Now it's buried inside the Accessibility settings. To get there, select "General" in the Settings app, then "Accessibility." On the next page, tap on "Display Accommodations" and you'll see the toggle for "Auto-Brightness."

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Why is Apple making it harder for users to disable auto-brightness in iOS? Who knows. Maybe they're trying to reduce the number of people who complain about horrible battery life on their iPhone, which would explain their note that settings caption that "Turning off auto-brightness may affect battery life." Still, I thought that was fairly obvious.

Feb 19, 2018 5:47 AM in response to kimmh72

Hey,

I’ve been having a similar issue. My brightness would stay below 50% even when I knew it was at 100%. For the moment being I managed to bring the brightness back up by going to: settings>General>accessibility > zoom> switch the “zoom” to “off” and

User uploaded file change “zoom filter” to “none”.

It made the screen brighter for now. Although, i still need to monitor it for the shift of color/brightness in the future...

Nov 4, 2017 8:45 PM in response to .Matt.

I have done all that with reps e.g.: changing settings (auto-brightness, true tone, reduce white point, display accommodations, nightshift), reset iPhone, set up as new phone, reinstalled back-up etc etc and even done sysdiagnostics on two handsets and set video and logs to Apple. Apple have stated that "Its not normal iPhone behaviour" so are now replacing my second handset. Its so frustrating. If you search these forums you will see that the issue is starting to pop up a fair bit....even google it and its on other forums in MacRumours and iMore, iDrop etc.

Nov 27, 2017 4:36 PM in response to mrjosiahp

Yes... at first it was just the gaming apps and youtube coz it heats up the phone because of the graphic processor.. now even just plain google.. it starts dimming.. I already went to the genius bar at best buy and still nothing.. so im assuming its an iOS bug that they need to fix or the LCD screens they use are just bad..

Dec 2, 2017 10:19 PM in response to .Matt.

Hi Matt, My saga with Apple still continues regarding this screen dimming issue. Apple told me last night on the phone they also have not heard of this issue so I have pointed them in the direction of these Apple Community conversations. Hopefully this will demonstrate to them that this issue exists as it still cannot be determined whether its software or hardware issue....either way they can't repair it so I still want my refund. I have purchased another model phone now as I refuse to continue to use a product that is faulty and Apple cannot repair. Keep us informed how it all goes.

Jan 22, 2018 6:17 AM in response to mrjosiahp

Apple's making us work for it. Now it's buried inside the Accessibility settings. To get there, select "General" in the Settings app, then "Accessibility." On the next page, tap on "Display Accommodations" and you'll see the toggle for "Auto-Brightness."

Why is Apple making it harder for users to disable auto-brightness in iOS? Who knows. Maybe they're trying to reduce the number of people who complain about horrible battery life on their iPhone, which would explain their note that settings caption that "Turning off auto-brightness may affect battery life." Still, I thought that was fairly obvious.

Mar 15, 2018 7:11 AM in response to kimmh72

This is happening to me. It is definitely related to temperature. I have turned off *all* display settings that could be affecting it including the auto brightness that is buried in accessibility settings. While driving and using Waze and Music at the same time my phone tends to get warm and even though my brightness is set to 100% my screen will dim automatically within a few minutes of driving it’s gradual but it ends up at like 50-75% and it makes it really difficult to see in the daylight. I am going to chat with support about this today.

iPhone 8 Plus Screen Auto Dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.