Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail toolbar keeps resetting itself

When you right click on the toolbar (or choose View > Customize Toolbar in the main menu) you get the option "Icon Only" which is what I always choose. Since upgrading to High Sierra the preference does not stick. Usually after a day the toolbar resets itself to "Icon and Text". How can I convince Mail that I really want "Icon Only"?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 2,9 GHz Core i5, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 8:41 PM

Have you tried restarting?

I'm not sure which file stores this preference, but it's most likely in one of these files in your User's Library.

• Containers > com.apple.mail
  • Preferences > com.apple.mail.plist

Drag to Trash

Restart

Make sure to empty trash BEFORE you open Mail.

Reset your preferences in Mail. Do they stick now?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2017 8:41 PM in response to doktor_florian

Have you tried restarting?

I'm not sure which file stores this preference, but it's most likely in one of these files in your User's Library.

• Containers > com.apple.mail
  • Preferences > com.apple.mail.plist

Drag to Trash

Restart

Make sure to empty trash BEFORE you open Mail.

Reset your preferences in Mail. Do they stick now?

Nov 23, 2017 9:58 AM in response to JJGraphics

Users sending feedback need to include full details of their hardware.

BugReporter http://bugreporter.apple.com

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter. Setup a free account

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

Mac OS X Feedback (no account needed)

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

I don't normally recommend users sign up for beta program but in this case the detailed feedback app includes reports from Console that could help Apple fix this problem. You can always leave the beta at any time. There is no Apple Public Beta forum to discuss and get help. MacRumorsdoes have a place to get help but it's all volunteer.

AppleConnect Sign In

Nov 22, 2017 5:53 AM in response to doktor_florian

I've deleted those files, rebooted the computer and even formatted and installed from USB. I still have the same problem.

Either the folders I put in the favourites bar reset to the default "Inbox, Sent, Flagged" or the toolbar resets itself to "Icon and Text". Finally in settings I usually remove the option to Increase Quote Level. But whenever the UI resets, this setting also resets.

Nov 22, 2017 2:31 PM in response to umangp

Could you test in a new User?

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Users & Groups.

Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

You can skip logging in with an Apple ID unless you need to test iCloud. Hit continue then skip.

(I suggest checking only Mail in iCloud for this test if you have an iCloud email account)

Only default Apple apps will be in the Dock in the new User. Go to Applications to open other apps you might want to test.

Open Mail,

Customize the toolbar and add to favorites.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files or it could be hardware related.

If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

Nov 23, 2017 12:59 AM in response to dianeoforegon

This problem is occurring on several machines including one that was completely wiped and had a clean install of macOS10.13.1. It is also being reported elsewhere. Furthermore it is Mail and only Mail that is affected, all other aspects of the machines run perfectly.

For those reasons, I am fairy certain it is a bug in macOS and nothing to do with User's folder issues.

Mail toolbar keeps resetting itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.