Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 screen will not turn off automatically when not being used

iPhone 8 screen will not turn off automatically when not being used unless right hand button is pressed.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 21, 2017 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 2:29 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, derekfromcoleraine.
If I understand your post correctly, you have to manually press the Sleep/Wake button to lock your iPhone as it is not automatically locking. I'd like to help.
Let's take a look at the setting that can affect this feature. Tap Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock and see which amount of time it is currently set to Auto-Lock after. If you have Low Power Mode enabled, Auto-Lock will be automatically set for 30 seconds. For more information about Low Power Mode, see this article:
Use Low Power Mode to extend battery life on your iPhone
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

125 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2017 2:29 AM in response to derekfromcoleraine

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, derekfromcoleraine.
If I understand your post correctly, you have to manually press the Sleep/Wake button to lock your iPhone as it is not automatically locking. I'd like to help.
Let's take a look at the setting that can affect this feature. Tap Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock and see which amount of time it is currently set to Auto-Lock after. If you have Low Power Mode enabled, Auto-Lock will be automatically set for 30 seconds. For more information about Low Power Mode, see this article:
Use Low Power Mode to extend battery life on your iPhone
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 30, 2017 2:04 AM in response to derekfromcoleraine

I had the same iaaue. I have tried these steps but it doesn't help. After that i have hard reset the phone, following these steps:

1. Press down and quickly release the Volume Up button
  2. Press down and quickly release the Volume Down button

Now pass and hold the side Power button, continue holding until you see the Apple logo  on screen

After that everything is ok! Now it auto locks after 30 seconds as i have set it up. Hope this will help you!

Oct 29, 2017 1:54 AM in response to PetShwark

Yes, adjusting the timeout and restarting the phone worked for my wife's phone - however 2 weeks later it started doing it again. So I've repeated the process and it works - but this isn't a great solution.

Her previous phone on ios10 did not do this.

I wonder if restoring a backup to the new phone is a potential cause? But you should be able to restore a phone to preserve all your settings as that's why you buy an iPhone (for convenience)

Apple please investigate this - it's annoying.

Nov 15, 2017 7:23 AM in response to PetShwark

At this point, I haven't seen the problem in a long time. I've done the following since "the fix", so who know which of these has taken care of it.

1. Restarted the phone (hold power button until power off slider appears, wait a few secs, press power to turn back on)
  2. Updated from 11.0.2 to 11.0.3.
  3. Updated from 11.0.3 to 11.1.
  4. Updated from 11.1 to 11.1.1.

For those who are still experiencing this problem, it's probably worth getting updated and restarting. If you still see a problem after that, report the bug to https://bugreport.apple.com. It's fairly useless to complain to Apple in the forums.

Oct 31, 2017 6:31 AM in response to derekfromcoleraine

Same issue for me, too. I've had my phone for about 2.5 weeks now (8 Plus), and I noticed a few days it ago it had started to do this. I just now restarted and now it seems to work again, but this is very concerning, especially after reading the other comments about how it appears to be a recurring issue after every 10-12 days. Obviously, a major security issue, and I hope Apple will come up with a solution.

Nov 1, 2017 10:11 AM in response to feeba.me

Update --> if you have an apple watch!

When i get a missed call, the alert keeps on disappearing and reappearing on the iPhone display. This kept the display turned on.

However when i dismiss the alert on my apple watch, then alert disappears from my iPhone too. This seems to have solved my problem.

Perhaps (generally) the updates going between the iPhone and watch keep the iPhone display turned on?

Hope this helps :-)

Nov 5, 2017 10:43 PM in response to derekfromcoleraine

Yes, the same problem for me since I got the update on iOS , I restarted to fix the issue but the problem still exists. When contacted apple chat support they were ready to do all basic troubleshooting but I was fed up already about that process. Recently I raised 2 more bugs, one cracking noise, speaker issue when you keep full volume the touch screen will feel like vibrating when you touch and call drops without signal issue.

Nov 9, 2017 9:34 AM in response to Bobz24

Hi - can you confirm if this also happens with the latest ios 11 update (11.1)? I haven't noticed it yet with 11.1 but it normally happens after a few weeks on my wife's phone - so its not been out long enough for me to conclusively say.

What version of ios do your phones have? I think I did see it with 11.0.2.

iPhone 8 screen will not turn off automatically when not being used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.