Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display on iPhone 8 won’t turn off.

Auto lock under display and brightness set to 1 minute but phone screen display does not go dark when left sitting untouched for extended periods of time. Can manually do this by pressing side on/off button .

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 4:37 PM

Hi amserf,

I understand you're having some trouble with the Auto-Lock on your iPhone. I would want my display responding as expected, so let's try and find a fix together.

First, let's force close any open apps, and restart your iPhone. Here's how:
How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After your iPhone is through restarting, let's go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock.
Set the timer to 30 seconds and then let's wait for the timer to run out and lock the screen. If that works, set it back to 1 Minute and test again.

If that doesn't fix the problem, make sure your iPhone 8 is backed up and up to date:
Update the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let me know what happens.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.
27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2017 4:37 PM in response to amserf

Hi amserf,

I understand you're having some trouble with the Auto-Lock on your iPhone. I would want my display responding as expected, so let's try and find a fix together.

First, let's force close any open apps, and restart your iPhone. Here's how:
How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After your iPhone is through restarting, let's go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock.
Set the timer to 30 seconds and then let's wait for the timer to run out and lock the screen. If that works, set it back to 1 Minute and test again.

If that doesn't fix the problem, make sure your iPhone 8 is backed up and up to date:
Update the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let me know what happens.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 2, 2017 8:39 AM in response to chris_g1

I had the same issue. I usually leave my iPhone 8plus set for the 5 minute auto-lock interval, but it wouldn't dim or go to sleep or autolock for seemingly very long periods of time.

I ran your test above and it seems to be undergoing the auto-lock in most cases, but the timing as depicted within the auto-lock times seems to be off.

30 seconds: Dimmed much sooner and went to sleep prior to the passing of 30 seconds.

1 Minute: Almost the same as 30 seconds.

2 Minutes: Dimmed within 30 seconds and sleep by 1 minute.

3 Minutes: Dimmed in about 55 seconds and asleep within about 30 seconds later.

4 Minutes: Dimmed within 2 minutes and asleep inside 3.

5 Minutes: Dimmed at 2m10s, asleep at 2m30s.

In each case the Auto-Lock function worked and I needed to unlock it when I attempted to open it. But the timing wasn't as prescribed within the settings as listed above.

Also (and separate issues), I had to shut off the Raise to Wake functionality and also the Reduce Motion (changed to) ON. The Reduce Motion function seemed to be glitch and would lock up the phone momentarily (3-5 seconds) upon waking the phone.

That's my 240 cents (2007 initial iPhone dollars inflated to current US iPhone 8 Plus dollars, further reduced by the lackluster sales and thus diminishing worth of my brand new phone with the above flaws).

Humor aside, that is all...for now.

Nov 16, 2017 11:55 PM in response to chris_g1

I see the same problem on an iPhone 8.

There is s similar thread on this topic here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8126843?answerId=32575415022#32575415022&ac_cid=tw123456#32575415

For me and some others it takes 2-14 days to reoccur after restarting your phone.

I have yet to confirm it in iOS 11.1.1 but earlier iOS versions had it (other users have reported it 11.1.1).

I don’t know if all users have come to this issue by restoring from another phone. I have - restoring from iOS 10.3.3 onto an iPhone 8.

Someone has said changing the lock screen background has cured their issue - I’m waiting to see if iOS 11.1.1 has cure it.

I have created an Apple radar however they need log files, so I’m waiting for the problem to ocurr.

If anyone can reproduce and add them to: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=35503884

Nov 15, 2017 6:32 AM in response to amserf

I have had my new 8 plus for over a week and didn't have this problem. Then last night my new case arrived and I put it on. When I got up this morning I noticed that the screen never went to sleep. Now I've set the time to 30 seconds and it still didn't turn off. When I took off the case, the screen went to sleep as it should. The case is a Case-Mate 2 piece type. I'm wondering if the inner piece that hugs the border of the phone is setting off some sensor that makes the phone think it is still in use.

Nov 15, 2017 2:37 PM in response to amserf

I am having the same issue. I have already taken back my first Iphone 8plus and now on my second phone. After a week of using the screen will not go to sleep automatically. I sure hope this is resolved ASAP considering hundreds of dollars are spent on a phone that doesnt work. I have tried all possible fixes and it still does not sleep without manually putting to sleep. Apple please fix.

Nov 16, 2017 12:52 AM in response to amserf

Any official response from Apple yet? My phone has forced security policy from Exchange, so can't try the following. Can someone try this solution from a similar problem in iOS 10?

1. Turn off passcode at Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off.

2. Restart your device.

3. Turn on passcode at Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode On. (Do not delete your saved finger prints.)

Nov 21, 2017 1:47 AM in response to undersky

As the problem is temporarily fixed for 7-10 days after a reboot / firmware update, how can you be sure that 11.2 fixes it for good? How many days have you been running it for? I am having a huge fight with AppleCare about it, they claim it's probably a settings fault on my side and keep forcing me to reset the phone and install a clean iOS image which as all the other people report helps for a couple of days, until the problem reoccurs.

Display on iPhone 8 won’t turn off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.