Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not getting group texts

I have an IPhone 8 and was running on iOS 11. I have a group text that I use frequently that includes iPhones and android phones. Last night I stopped receiving the texts from that group. I could still send but I have to reboot my phone and then a bunch of the texts come through at once. I did a network reset, a hard reboot, updated to iOS 11.1. I tried a new conversation but still with android and iPhone but that’s not working either. I can get individual texts, both iMessage and sms, and I can get group texts with just iMessage. So how can I solve this problem?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 6:14 AM

I’ve been having same problem with my new iPhone X and took it to my Att store (carrier) and they put a new SIM card in it but still having same issues with receiving group text replies from android users. Then I took to Genius Bar and Apple support said to change iCloud account, so moved forward with that and still have same problem. Help or give me a NEW PHONE because $900 on a new iPhone X has been more of a dumb phone than a smart phone!!!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2018 6:14 AM in response to razmee209

I’ve been having same problem with my new iPhone X and took it to my Att store (carrier) and they put a new SIM card in it but still having same issues with receiving group text replies from android users. Then I took to Genius Bar and Apple support said to change iCloud account, so moved forward with that and still have same problem. Help or give me a NEW PHONE because $900 on a new iPhone X has been more of a dumb phone than a smart phone!!!

Jun 11, 2018 1:24 AM in response to scovey

I am having the same problem with my IPhone X. I am not receiving group texts unless I turn my phone off and back on. When I turn it back on, all the messages start showing up with the same time stamps. This is so disappointing because we expect the best from Apple and iPhone X is too expensive too have software issues. Two weeks ago I took my phone to Apple. We have to reset everything. I received group texts for a week and then it happened again. Apple needs to address this problem as soon as possible.

Nov 2, 2017 9:01 AM in response to scovey

scovey wrote:

I have an IPhone 8 and was running on iOS 11. I have a group text that I use frequently that includes iPhones and android phones. Last night I stopped receiving the texts from that group. I could still send but I have to reboot my phone and then a bunch of the texts come through at once. I did a network reset, a hard reboot, updated to iOS 11.1. I tried a new conversation but still with android and iPhone but that’s not working either. I can get individual texts, both iMessage and sms, and I can get group texts with just iMessage. So how can I solve this problem?

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

group MMS is a carrier feature, you'll need to contact your phone carrier.

Aug 10, 2018 9:12 AM in response to pmousaw

I do not receive group text messages that are sent when my phone is turned off. This is in an all iPhone group. I have an iPhone 6 and am a long-time Verizon user. I first noticed the problem when I went in for the battery replacement (January 31, 2018). For whatever reason, instead of replacing the battery Apple gave me a new -- I assume refurbished -- iPhone 6.

As I understand it, when your phone is turned off the message should be sitting on Apple's servers waiting for your phone to turn back on. That does happen for my spouse (iPhone X, Verizon) but not for me.

I have been on the phone with Apple for hours about this and have tried rebooting and restarting and re-everything. Nothing works.

Thoughts?

Mar 25, 2018 10:21 AM in response to scovey

So I’ve been having this problem since my iPhone 6 which carried to my iPhone X. So I don’t thing it’s the phone. I talked to Apple support and AT&T and got pushed back and forth...ugh. Anyway but I did the resetting of network, turned on and off phone, reboot, etc, theses methods all work but only temporarily. I also tried this method from a suggestion from ATT. “Settings/Message and toggle off in this order: group mms, mms, send as sms, then iMessage. The back to setting: tap on cellular data the turn off phone. Wait fir a few minutes then turn on phone and toggle everything back on in reverse order. This method seems to work the longest but eventually the problem returns. So got back on the phone with ATT and Apple again for an hour each and found no solution from them but did find out that when there’s a android in a group of iPhones, it turns every single message exchanged in that group to a SMS (so we better make sure we have enough data package to cover or always in WIFI). So I started thinking maybe something in the setting in the background from upgrading to newer iPhones everywhere might have caught some sort issue. So what I did is 1. Did a network reset. 2. Reset all settings (resets all settings to factory but keeping your data), 3. Reset location and privacy. 4. Backed up my iPhone to my iTunes (this backed up my data with all the settings in manufacture default. 4. Restored my phone on iTunes buy downloading the newest iOS so my phone is now in the state when I first opened the box. 5. Once it finished restoring to a new phone with nothing on it, I selected restore from the backup I just did with the factory default settings. 6. Then of course I had to go back and redo my settings to the way I like (don’t forget to turn on mms and group during the process). It was a pain in the *** but I think I’ve been doing ok. I text a sep text to a person in the group and ask her if there were any texts sent that I didn’t get. So far I seem to be ok and it’s been two days. Where as all the methods before problems return sooner.

Apr 25, 2018 2:05 PM in response to caecaestar

I also had this happen on my iphone 7 on multiple occasions and never would've known if people didn't ask me in person why I never replied.

In every case it was a group text involving an android phone.

After rebooting, signing out and back in, screwing with various settings what finally worked for me was to turn group texts off and then back on. Then it started magically working again.

Very disappointing. Texts are more important for me to receive than actual phone calls. At least if I miss a call the person who called knows I didn't answer. People send a text they expect you saw it.

May 17, 2018 11:13 PM in response to scovey

I’ve been having the same issue.

This issue relates to me sending messages to Droids, and iPhone + Droid group messages.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus. I send out group messages that my party doesn’t receive. And I send MMS messages like photos and videos to non iPhones (Droids), and they can’t recieve the MMS on their end.

I’ve resetted my phone a few times. It would resolve for a while. Then get worse and worse as time goes by, eventually leading back to my initial problem. At first I can send MMS and they’d receive it, as long as I sent it by 5’s or less. Then eventually I can only send them one by one, that way, they’d receive it. Until they don’t recieve anything at all anymore.

I don’t think it’s my carrier. I think it’s an iOS problem.

May 18, 2018 5:26 PM in response to scovey

Having this exact issue. Started about two weeks ago - prior to that, myself, another iPhone and one other Android were in a group text. I was getting them all. Suddenly, they started appearing separately.
I went in to check my settings and found that my group messaging was off (odd, because I'd never touched that button), so I turned it back on. Didn't work.

Also: my SMS was off - which I never touched either. I couldn't figure out why a pic I'd kept trying to send a friend wouldn't send when I had sent this same friend a photo just days prior. On top of that, every couple phone calls I was getting call failure. Calls dropping left and right and no group texts.

I think this is an iOS issue and quite frankly, I'm over it. My phone is an 6sPlus that I've only had for a year and a half. Not long enough to have all these issues.

Jun 20, 2018 9:34 AM in response to scovey

iPhone 6/iOS 11.4/AT&T. The same thing just happened to me recently when I did the $29 battery replacement. Before replacing battery, Apple recommends you upgrade iOS to latest version and backup iPhone. So I did all of that, and what seems to have triggered the faulty group texting was when I synced and backed up my texts to iCloud before dropping it off at the Apple Store. I have never done the iCloud syncing before that moment, and was always able to participate in group texts . One person in the group text is an Android user.

When I synced to messages to iCloud is the moment I stopped receiving group texts. I could send a text to the group and everyone could see my message, but I couldn't see theirs.

This morning, I turned off text backup on iCloud for both iMac and iPhone, reset the network settings on iPhone. It seems to be working for the last hour. Not sure how long this will last.

Go to SETTINGS - USERNAME - iCLOUD- MESSAGES. Uncheck Messages.

Then go to SETTINGS - GENERAL - RESET - RESET NETWORK SETTINGS.

Resetting network settings really won't ruin anything except you'll have to type in your wifi password, so don't be afraid.

After that, turn off iPhone and restart again.

If you are synced up to an iMac, you need to uncheck iCloud syncing with Messages as well in your system preferences.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix, but it seems to be working for me so far.

Jul 6, 2018 7:50 PM in response to scovey

i had to turn off imessage to fix this. but i realized that the issue has been happening off and on ever since my iphone 6 suddenly broke and i had to switch over to an android temporarily. i didn’t know that i needed to turn off imessage before moving my sim card and never did that. so ever since then, things have been funky. i’m back on an iphone 8 now, but was wondering if this was a common thread between all of us... did anyone else switch back and forth from iphones to androids?

Aug 5, 2018 9:27 PM in response to scovey

Has anyone noticed that the only carrier ever mentioned is AT&T? I have ATT and have had this issue for a year and I’m fed up. When troubleshooting online I see everyone blames Apple and then says they have ATT. I’m convinced it’s the carrier and will probably switch soon. If anyone who is having this problem does NOT have AT&T please let me know.

Aug 6, 2018 6:42 PM in response to justinfrommilford

Just started having this problem within the last week and I have Verizon. Just noticed it today, so not quite sure when it started. Seems to be related to just one group text that includes Android devices - I was texting with this group last week without issue.

Not sure if it would be a problem with a different group of people with some who have Androids. I don't use group texts a lot, but I can see why it is a problem if it doesn't get fixed.

iPhone not getting group texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.