Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

calls only working on bluetooth

I have an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB and it’s only a little over a year old. A couple weeks ago it stopped letting me take phone calls. First they got real glitchy and did weird stuff like repeat the last word I said 100x or speed up whatever the person said on the other end and made them sound like a chipmunk. Oddly on my end it was slowing my speech and making me sound robotic. Anyway eventually it stopped letting me make and answer calls altogether. Now the only way I can answer a call is when I’m in the car through Bluetooth. I can’t make any sense of it!! Can someone please help me???? I can not afford a new phone and I can’t be without one either because I take care of my disabled niece and I need to be available by phone every day in case her early intervention coordinator calls, or someone from school, one of her therapists, doctors, etc etc. PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 7:33 AM

I went to the Apple store near me, and they just told that I was out of warranty and that I would have to buy a new one. Put my son on the case, and he kept calling Apple till they sent me a replacement phone, and I then mailed them back my phone. Still cost me some money, but not as much as they had wanted in the Apple Store. There are too many people having this problem to believe that it is not associated with the IOS update, but as you mention that is pure conspiracy theory at this time. Or is it....

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 7:33 AM in response to discoverR

I went to the Apple store near me, and they just told that I was out of warranty and that I would have to buy a new one. Put my son on the case, and he kept calling Apple till they sent me a replacement phone, and I then mailed them back my phone. Still cost me some money, but not as much as they had wanted in the Apple Store. There are too many people having this problem to believe that it is not associated with the IOS update, but as you mention that is pure conspiracy theory at this time. Or is it....

Feb 17, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Oksana531

Update to prior post: Problem found!

After multiple hours on the phone with Apple Supervisors and a visit to the Genius Bar, they identified that the “teeth” inside the lightning jack with which the headphone jack makes contact are bent or broken on my phone. So, the phone thinks headphones are connected but cannot find them. Explains why I cannot hear audio, except on bluetooth (BT overrides the headphone) and wont recognize the plugged in headphones but still charges (the charger makes contact at a different point inside the jack). Solution unfortunately was to replace my phone. They took it in as a “warranty upon a manager override so I did not argue

Dec 18, 2017 11:29 AM in response to Oksana531

Hello, exact same issue here.

1. Robotic conversations

2. No sound at all on calls on both directions, and anything related to voice (Siri, etc).

3. Then, even when calls are answered, the phone acts as if the call hasn't been answered (keeps ringing/vibrating).

4. Speaker does play music etc.

5. Bluetooth works perfect, but you have to either make the call yourself or receive the call and answer it from the bluetooth device.

I originally thought this might be a problem with updates, but the system shows I am up to date with iOS 11.2.1

Apple...help?

Dec 27, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Oksana531

Same problem here iPhone 7 exactly as you describe I spend 2 hours on the phone with technical support and phone just get worst, stop by the apple store yesterday and the technician first state was a software problem, erase all data on my phone and the phone still the same, he try to blame a crack on my screen but I never got issues with it I can use the phone to message, make calls with a Bluetooth listen to radio watch videos except when the task is related to a phone related tsk the phone get slow or freeze good luck hope to get a fix I still owe half on my phone and I am out of warran

Jan 18, 2018 6:56 AM in response to Debmat7

“Fix” for me was blow about 20 hours over four days at the Apple Store, and replace the phone, twice. After three phones in one week, now it can make phone calls again but is still buggy overall (apps crashing, freezing up periodically, etc). I feel like an Apple software QA tester guinea pig working for free. I actually lost a full three days of work over the issue, with no real alternative. You just have to fight through it. I have no idea how I’d have gotten through this if I didn’t live 1mi from an Apple store. Mail phones back and forth over the course of a couple of weeks with no phone??

Of course the phone was flawless

for nearly a year and the problem a began immediately following release of IOS 11, but that’s all conspiracy theory at this point.

I have an iPhone 6 for sale if you want something cheap that works while you’re fixing that one.

Feb 6, 2018 6:07 AM in response to Oksana531

Same problem here. Phone just over a year old, no solution from apple support. Works perfect on bluetooth in car or bluetooth wireless headset. Will not call properly otherwise and does not recognize apple headphone when connected into lithning jack. Charges properly. Was able to make a single (bad quality) call after a hard reset but then went back to not working.

Given that the number of people with the same problem, clearly a problem with the phone or software and not caused by the user. Apple should provide better support and quality for an $800 item.

Apr 10, 2018 12:32 PM in response to Oksana531

I've been on the phone with Apple Support and online with their chat support since roughly 10AM (it's 3:30PM now).

After hours of arguing the point that it is undoubtedly the software update which has rendered my phone essentially useless (I rely on the phone for conference calls for work, and for listening to music throughout literally my entire day), they basically told me "Too bad" and instructed me to go to the store, to have them do what I already know they're going to do (and I've done on my own, i.e. hard reset the phone, factory reset, etc. etc.).

Apple is clearly covering up the fact that their updates are rendering older devices useless/unusable. I let them know the only acceptable resolution to this issue as far as I'm concerned would be to somehow upgrade me to either the 8 or the X, since this is only the most recent issue I've experienced since the latest iOS update, and all together, the issues are making the phone essentially a brick to me. They didn't care at all.

I can honestly say that I will never purchase an Apple phone again, and am extremely hesitant to ever purchase any Apple product again after this experience, because their "support" is useless, unemphatic, and keeps going back to the same "solution"; buy a new phone (the iPhone X and 8 both work great with their latest updates!).

Never again Apple, never again.

Feb 15, 2018 2:16 PM in response to Oksana531

I'm having exact same issue as everyone above. Just took to AT&T Store and only resolution was to buy new phone or send into insurance - but like everyone else, I'm about 30-60 days out of warranty. After a hard reset it works for a few hours but then same problem persists where I can only make or receive calls through my car's bluetooth. Also, now when I do a hard re-set, it takes longer and longer to re-boot - apple logo just stays permanently on my phone for 5-10 minutes or more.

Apr 18, 2018 2:45 PM in response to Oksana531

This is the exact same problem my husband has been having with his iPhone 7 as well. At just over a year old we should not be forced to buy a new phone. Terrible service from Apple with no understanding that this is his ONLY way of communicating with his children. Their only solution was pay to send them his phone and be without for however long.

As Apple consumers for years with multiple Mac computers (of which I was told no one could help me with my MacBook Pro), multiple iPhones and iPads we are extremely disappointed. Clearly from this and other threads we are not the only ones. Get better at providing service for your loyal customers Apple without making us buy a new phone every **** year. Signed a furious customer with a useless iPhone 7!

May 1, 2018 3:01 PM in response to Oksana531

I have exactly the same issue, for me it happened after 11.3.1 update, after reading all these posts, I have decided to swtich to android, as a computer engineer and a programmer, I am telling you guys this issue can't be a coincidence, there is an on purpose designed bug targeting older iPhone models to force consumers to always upgrade and pay for a newer phone, as you may noticed these issues happened right after new updates. Apple already caught slowing down devices and they admitted they did so to lengthen battery life, but what about the other tricks that is not revealed yet. This is definitely not acceptable, and myself I am committed to switch to Android device, such as pixel or Samsung at least they are more honest with their customers.

calls only working on bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.