Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Email Notifications Cleared from Lock Screen When Unlocked

So when I get notifications, for example messages and emails, I see them on the lock screen. I pick up the phone and use Face ID to unlock the phone to see the preview of the messages before swiping up to go the home screen. The issue is once the Face ID unlocks the phone the email message notifications disappear but the message previews stay. I cannot understand why the phone removes the email notifications when the phone unlocks but leaves the messages. I want to it not to remove the emails notifications on unlock. I cannot find anywhere in the settings to stop this. Thanks for the help.

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 9:07 PM

78 replies

Nov 6, 2017 7:14 PM in response to GoodComputerGuy

I was able to stop by the Apple store and the techs there did not have an answer either. They believe it is a bug. I did find a slight work around that after it unlocks if I swipe up from the middle of the screen the email notifications are listed there. Not perfect but maybe they fix the issue in 11.2 otherwise this is going to get annoying real fast.

Nov 6, 2017 7:17 PM in response to wesley7777

I chatted with a couple of completely useless techs, then talked to one who I finally was able to convince to escalate to engineering. I haven't heard back from anyone though. And it is super annoying. Really hurting my productivity.

When I swipe up I get a bunch of old notifications but the mail messages are usually kind of flashing/flickering. It's weird.

What mail server are you using that is causing the trouble?

Nov 7, 2017 4:22 AM in response to shaifromtoronto

I know it's a huge pain in the neck but it's great to hear that so many people have the same problem. Except for one person (who I would like to have test again) it seems that the problem is just with Exchange servers. Which means Apple should get it fixed pretty quickly. I have an open support issue with Apple. It would probably help if everyone contacts Apple - the more reports they get the faster they'll realize it's a big problem.

Nov 7, 2017 7:45 AM in response to danielbrydon

Yeah I don't recall if it worked correctly or not when I first got the phone on Friday and started playing with it. It took me a while to realize something was wrong.

I talked to Apple tech support again this morning and they confirmed that it was passed on to engineering. They're supposed to call me back tomorrow with an update. I'll post here when they do.

Nov 7, 2017 5:41 PM in response to GoodComputerGuy

I posted the issue on Apple Bug Reporting tool and uploaded a video of the issue:

I have two email accounts that use the iOS Mail Client, one is iCloud the other is a work Microsoft Exchange Server. The issue is that when the phone is locked it will display notifications, for example an iMessage, a iCloud email, and an exchange server email. I will look at the phone to unlock and the exchange email notifications will disappear while the two other notifications will stay. This happens everything time no matter how many exchange server emails I have, they all disappear from the lock screen when the phone unlocks with FaceID and all other notifications stay. Now once I have completely unlocked the phone and am on the home screen I can swipe down the notification center and the emails are still listed there. This appears the only App that has this behavior. The notifications settings are exactly the same on iMessage and Mail app and the iCloud and Exchange Server email account have exactly the same notifications settings. I have attached a video showing exactly what is happening.

I posted a link to this thread for them to see other are having the same issue.

Nov 10, 2017 12:44 PM in response to wesley7777

Same issue for me. Didn’t set up the Exchange account on my X until Monday, but it’s had the glitch ever since. Turning off “Show in History” fixes the lock screen problem, but now I can’t see emails in my history. I’m constantly going back and forth between the mail app to make sure I haven’t missed an email. Thanks for posting—glad to know I’m not the only one.

iPhone X Email Notifications Cleared from Lock Screen When Unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.