Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad has been hacked

I have no access to my iPad, it is being held for ransom. How do I unlock my iPad.

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 10:11 AM

Hi. Try a forced restart. Hold Sleep and Home buttons until you see the Apple, about 15 seconds. Then do the following:

Force quit Safari from the app switcher.

Also force quit any unfamiliar apps.

Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

21 replies

Nov 4, 2017 7:11 PM in response to GentleHands

How are they holding your iPad for ransom? How are they hacking it, I mean how do you know someone is hacking it. If someone got your password and was able to gain access to your iPad, it sounds like you need to get into your account and change your password. If you can’t get into your iPad and you have access to your Apple ID, you can restore your iPad and then setup as new or You can restore from backup IF it was backed up before a PIN was placed on the iPad.

Nov 4, 2017 7:16 PM in response to GentleHands

It's not you iPad that's been hacked, it's your Apple user account. Someone who knew, or found out what your user name is, guessed your password, got into your account, and put the iPad into lost mode (activation lock). Because your Apple ID is your user name, they knew who to send the email to in order to extort a ransom so you can unlock your device.

DO NOT pay it. People who have don't get the unlock code anyway, or get one that doesn't work. These are crooks. All they want is your money. They don't care if you get access to your device back.

Nov 4, 2017 7:51 PM in response to GentleHands

You have to go to the website to get your account back. You aren’t going to be able to do it on your iPad, and you will have pretty limited website support on your phone. You need to use something other than your iPad, but your phone MAY work. Not sure if you’ll be able to but if you don’t have a computer to use to go to the website then you can try and see what you can come up with.

Nov 4, 2017 8:16 PM in response to GentleHands

GentleHands wrote:

My iPad is now disabled for 1 hour.

Does this mean you tried your existing passcode multiple times and were told it was incorrect?

You must have had a passcode previously, or they could not have accessed your iPad this way. You must also have Apple's 2FA on your Apple ID. Was this iPad a trusted device? Did you get 6 digit verification codes sent to it?

My iPad has been hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.