Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad 2; Message: could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. For about a week now. How do i correct it?

I use a ipad2. It can’t be activated because activation server is temporarily unavailable. But it is for a week now. I am the second user. How do i correct this.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 4:20 AM

I am trying this suggestion. I'm on iTunes with my PC, iPad connected thru USB, What is next step? Started iPad and received same server message as before. Is there a specific section of iTunes website that I must have open, etc? Tried 15 second reboot process while connected and same result. Thanks for posting - JohnnyK

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2017 4:20 AM in response to Mistik1

I am trying this suggestion. I'm on iTunes with my PC, iPad connected thru USB, What is next step? Started iPad and received same server message as before. Is there a specific section of iTunes website that I must have open, etc? Tried 15 second reboot process while connected and same result. Thanks for posting - JohnnyK

Dec 31, 2017 11:47 PM in response to Kobus69

I have had the same activation error. Only problem is that when you are on holiday with your pad, and do not have access to your pc, and the activation error persists, you cannot seem to do anything. So basically I am stuffed now.

Never been much of an Apple fan, and this just illustrates once again why. Overpriced technology full of gremlins, letting you down when you need it.

So Apple expects users to travel with their pads AND PC'S to restore an activation error that they caused.? Time to stick to Android perhaps.

Apr 8, 2018 7:26 PM in response to cmkentau

This is what Apple does.

Apple can’t continue its own technical support for devices or computers that they consider too old, vintage or obsolete.

iPads 2, 3 and 1st gen iPad Mini models have not had an iOS upgrade/update for over two years!

The iPad 2 is 7 years old, now!

Also, is an older 32-bit hardware coded device!

Apple has since moved onto ALL 64-bit hardware devices and an ALL 64-bit OS with support for 64-bit coded apps.

You CAN continue using your iPad 2, as it is still receiving app updates under iOS 9.3.5.

I still use my iPad 2 and STILL get daily and regular app updates.

It's just that Apple is not going to offer any type of phone support or in-store technical assistance with a 7-year old iDevice.

No one is forcing you to purchase a new iPad, if you do not want to, but let's face facts here.

The iPad 2 contains 7 year old technology.

A lot has changed in iDevice hardware technology and iOS features in 7 years!

Most modern Bluetooth devices, like Bluetooth speakers and keyboards do not work with the iPad 2 7 year old Bluetooth spec.

It has a 1 GHz CPU that has been dynamically clocked down to 800 Mhz. It only has 512 MBs (NOT GBs) of RAM.

Most newer iPad models are sporting, at least, 2 GBs of RAM, now!

No Siri voice support. No retina display.

So...

You are not responding to my queries about the activation issues with your iPad 2.

Have you dealt with your MODEM/router as I instructed in my reply post above?

Apr 8, 2018 7:43 PM in response to MichelPM

Give me the money to buy a new one and I will happily do that, but as a homeless pensioner with not enough money to buy food, buying a new iPad is not in the financial plan. Having a perfectly good machine shut down arbitrarily, leaving me isolated, without an internet connection when away from my desktop, is not acceptable.

Apr 10, 2018 11:29 PM in response to Kobus69

SUCCESS

I contacted Apple and they refused to help as the iPad2 is too old for them to support. They would not even tell me anything about the problem.

So I tried numerous on-line suggestions. Mere re-booting, in any form or fashion, did not work. Updating iTunes on my laptop, then connecting my iPad to the laptop, with iTunes both logged in and not logged in, did not work. No amount of reboots of laptop and iPad encouraged iTunes to find the iPad and fix it. So then I went to the local library and connected the iPad to their wireless. I did various re-boots with no success, then suddenly, on the third attempt, the iPad found iTunes or the other way round, the marriage was consummated and my iPad was magically returned to active service. So if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.

The problem is that Apple has arbitrarily locked your device for some unknown reason. There is nothing wrong with your device. Apple has locked it.

The solution is to get the iPad connected to your iTunes account so that it can be verified as an active device and unlocked. Somehow!

May 24, 2018 9:39 PM in response to Kobus69

As second owner of a first gen ipad that we use for educational games for the kids, it suddenly got stuck with this "activation server is temporarily unavailable" error as well after fairly regular use of it. (May 2018) Best advice from another user in this forum was to keep doing what you can to reset it. I tried forgetting the wifi password - didn't work yet. Going on my PC to itunes.com and then connecting it with a USB cable. Didn't do anything but see it as storage. Then i downloaded itunes on my PC and followed the directions to connect it - but it got as far as verifying my account ID - but then said it was not able to connect it with no other options. (Note - others on this thread posted that Apple Support is not going to help users of old devices.) So, i kept trying differnt ways to trigger the PC's itunes app to activate my ipad with no luck. Finally i unplugged my ipad from the USB, and once again tried to connect only via wifi - and got a different step, which was to re-enter my account id after it connected my wifi (which i selected to forget wifi and retyped my wifi password.) - initially it still didn't work and said it's not able to connect right now... and i probably tried this route 1 or 2 more times... and somehow it WORKED. Let's hope it doesn't go back to that state anytime soon... but at least i know i can poke and prod until it reactivates. - PC user that got gifted a used ipad. 😝

Jul 4, 2018 9:48 AM in response to kdai

As of July 4, 2018, I have been experiencing the same issues with my iPad2. After reading all the comments here, I did pop out the sim card with an opened paper clip and thin knife to slide the door open, I removed the sim card completely, and then like magic, the iPad2 began responding to complete the activation process. All is well...until I put that sim card back in that is. If failures occur, I'll pop it out completely.

Jul 4, 2018 9:49 AM in response to Skylar999

Thank you for your post. As of July 4, 2018, I have been experiencing the same issues with my iPad2. After reading all the comments here, I did pop out the sim card with an opened paper clip and thin knife to slide the door open, I removed the sim card completely, and then like magic, the iPad2 began responding to complete the activation process. All is well...until I put that sim card back in that is. If failures occur, I'll pop it out completely.

Ipad 2; Message: could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. For about a week now. How do i correct it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.