Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't wake up - macOS High Sierra

symptoms:

OS refuses to launch after going to sleep, neither keyboard, mouse (USB wired) wakes it up. Pressing power button on the Mac Pro does not work either.

To wake the computer up i have to force shut it down, then power it up.

Current energy saver settings:

- Turn display off slider set at 10 minutes

- Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off - CHECK BOX ON

- Put hard disks to sleep when possible - CHECK BOX ON

- Start up automatically after a power failure - CHECK BOX OFF

- Enable Power nap - CHECK BOX ON

About this Mac:

macOS high Sierra 10.13.1

Mac Pro

3.7ghz Quad Core

32 GB 1866 DDR3

any help to solve this is appreciated.

TIA

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 8:38 AM

24 replies

Nov 17, 2017 7:14 PM in response to daloof

Just wanted to add that I have the same issue and I found one workaround- if you have multiple monitors, turn off one monitor before you put the computer to sleep (or allow it to go to sleep). I had 100% success with this workaround whereas I had 100% failure if the computer went to sleep with both monitors turned on / displaying.

Luckily, I still had a backup from Time Machine for Sierra and have since downgraded. FWIW, I have a mid-2013 MacBook Air and it seems to be running fine with High Sierra, including an issue I and a lot of others are having with Compressor creating files that are 10 times the size they're supposed to be (Excessively large files with Compressor on High Sierra).

I would encourage anyone having these issues to file a bug report here - Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 3, 2018 5:50 AM in response to Will Deatrick

Observations after many weeks with this problem:

• Updating to MacOS 10.3.3 did not affect the behavior
  • My instance appears to be related to a Thunderbolt2 problem between Mac Pro and Promise Pegasus2 R6 RAID drive
    • When MacPro hangs up, PegR6 is also unresponsive (no activity, can't shut down by pressing front button)
    • When I unplug Thunderbolt2 cable between Mac Pro and PegR6, the Mac will often become responsive again
    • PegR6 has been reporting occasional errors
    • Promise Technology has been helpful even though my RAID is out of warranty
  • I am able to avoid the Mac Pro lockup by setting
    • System Prefs > Energy Saver > Turn display off after > Never
    • System Prefs > Desktop & Screen Saver > Start after > 5 Minutes (to avoid screen burn-in)

Nov 25, 2017 9:16 AM in response to daloof

I have the exact same configuration Mac Pro with 2 Apple Monitors connected.

Ever since I upgraded to High Sierra, it stopped waking from sleep - I always to unplug it.

Then, the issue started occurring randomly, which gave me an opportunity to track down the issue.

And I think I found it - Microsoft!

Whenever I had Microsoft PowerPoint and Word 2011 running, my Mac Pro refused to wake from sleep.

I started opening my Powerpoint documents in Keynote, text documents in TextEdit, and now my Mac Pro wakes from sleep flawlessly!

Hope that helps.

Dec 2, 2017 9:00 AM in response to LC57

This thread seems to be specifically about the Mac Pro so I don't think that would work. FWIW, I can't remember which settings I tried in the Energy Savings menu but nothing worked when I had two monitors plugged in and both were turned on when the Mac Pro went to sleep. This appears to be a specific bug to that system in that type of configuration.

Dec 16, 2017 6:57 PM in response to daloof

Same here in iMac. High Sierra is a total desaster. iMac 2015 doesn't wake from sleep and Firefox is useless. Framerate dropped by 75% in games. Youtube Videos are a slideshow if not viewed in full screen. Macbook Pro late 2013 is slow as **** and iMac 2012 is so slow, it takes 20 Minutes after boot to be responsive. Apple nowadays is much worse than Microsoft in it's baddest times ever was.

Dec 18, 2017 6:50 PM in response to daloof

Symptoms

I am having this or similar issue intermitently with my Mac Pro 6,1 (late 2013), in which the OS refuses to respond after the screen goes black. The problem started when I upgraded to High Sierra and continues with 10.13.2. When I force the Mac off by holding the power button, then power back up, the fan usually runs at high speed and the OS is very laggy. A second power down and up restores it to normal operation. If I pull the power cord after shutting the Mac down, it comes up normally. The problem occurs on different user accounts, with "sleep" disabled, with no others apps running, and when I have just one monitor connected to the Mac. A very painful problem.

Configuration

macOS high Sierra 10.13.2

Mac Pro (late 2013)

3.7 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 DDR3

AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Dual 27-inch Apple monitors

Things I've Tried

Various Energy Saver settings. Now have only "Prevent computer from sleeping" checked

Turned off screensaver

Reset SMC and NVRAM

Submitted product feedback to Apple

Mac Pro won't wake up - macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.