Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Music pauses when screen is locked on iPhone X?

I just got my iPhone X and there is this bug and I don’t know what is causing it.

This is what happens:

1. I play my Apple Music as usual, it starts to play with no problem.

2. For a while, I can lock my screen and it still carries on playing.

3. Later with further use, the music will pause whenever I lock my screen or when it auto locks.

4. I have to soft reset the phone so that it stops doing that.

I have gone through this process a couple of times already. I’m not sure if this is iOS11 or iPhone X or some other app that’s clashing with iOS.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:40 PM

I am encountering the same problem (but with Spotify) and I have noticed that a specific event triggers this behaviour after soft reset.

This event for me is that my music is interrupted by ApplePay, where my phone (accidentally) gets close to a payment terminal, and opens the ApplePay page (showing your card and asking for FaceID) while in lock screen.

After this I encounter the music-pausing-when- locking issue without fail. Avoiding the event has helped for me.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 10:40 PM in response to Cocoaju

I am encountering the same problem (but with Spotify) and I have noticed that a specific event triggers this behaviour after soft reset.

This event for me is that my music is interrupted by ApplePay, where my phone (accidentally) gets close to a payment terminal, and opens the ApplePay page (showing your card and asking for FaceID) while in lock screen.

After this I encounter the music-pausing-when- locking issue without fail. Avoiding the event has helped for me.

Dec 19, 2017 2:08 AM in response to Cocoaju

Got this issue too. Upgraded to latest iOS. Stopped for a few days started again,

Phoned Apple support, said it shouldn’t happen. In the mean time I rebooted the phone whilst speaking to the support colleague which resolved the issue. I expect it to come back again, as it seems like it’s creeping death.

1. I use Apple Music play a song

2. Let the phone naturally lock the screen

3. Manually lock the screen

4.music goes off

5.wake screen and press play on the widget

6.music plays again and I can lock screen, music continues to play.

Was told if it comes back again to phone up to perform a full restart and download of software,I don’t expect this if a phone of this price and it’s really frustrating.

Apple colleague said it shouldn’t happen and probably a bug.

I will be insisting that I get a new phone if this continues

Dec 23, 2017 4:02 AM in response to Cocoaju

I am getting this problem too and it's really annoying!

Anytime I scan my phone on the bus to work or whatever this seems to activate ApplePay and after that any music stops - doesn't matter if it's in the Music app or in Spotify. After that if I'm playing music and go to lock the screen, it stops any music that I'm playing constantly. The only way to get it playing again is to use the lock screen controls or my headphone's inline controls. If I have to go into my phone for anything though like read a text message or whatever, when I lock the screen again, off goes any music. The only way to 'reset' the problem is to do a hard reset of the phone but it just comes back the next time Apple Pay gets activated.

I tried a reset of the phone and reinstall of things but nothing has changed. I'm going to remove Apple Pay altogether and see if it keeps doing it. If that doesn't solve it I think I may return the phone and go with another kind as having music is a bit of a deal breaker for me and I can't see any solutions online to this anywhere.

If anyone has a solution please let us know.

Dec 26, 2017 12:07 PM in response to woodli

(iPhone X / iOS 11.2.1) I think you're right. Even when I wasn't triggering Apple Pay, playback of music, podcasts, or audio books would stop every time the screen auto-locked, or when I locked it with the power button, or by closing the flap of my Apple folio phone case. Since turning off Apple Pay, none of these events causes playback to stop.

Jan 4, 2018 10:01 PM in response to Cocoaju

I'm having the same problem on my iPhone X running 11.2.5. But not in relation to Apple Pay being activated. My specific issue happens when the screen is locked, my music stops. I believe this is a problem via iOS and not the music players or apps themselves. For me the problem is replicated using Spotify, Pocket Cast, Soundcloud, etc. I've already submitted a ticket via the "Feedback" app and I urge everyone to do the same.

Jan 5, 2018 7:05 AM in response to Markez512

Following my earlier post on this issue.

I’m running iPhone X 11.2.1 and following my conversation with Apple support and rebooting the phone I haven’t had the issue since (famous last words). Apple Music works fine, Apple Pay all good.

Steps I took to resolve

1) update software to 11.2.1 (issue still happened but took a while for it to start happening again post update)

2) called Apple support and performed a power down and back on.

3) issue hasn’t happened since.

Probably won’t help anyone, but if the issue persists I’d be demanding a refund or exchange. (If it comes back on mine, I’ll be demanding this)

Mar 15, 2018 12:58 AM in response to MariaSW55

Yep this looks to be the culprit and hopefully Apple will fix it in the next iOS update.

Since you lock the phone using the side button, if I accidentally double tap the side button instead, it invokes Apple Pay and stops audio playing (whether it be Apple Music, podcasts, etc). Once done the audio stops each time I lock my phone.

Restarting my iPhone X fixed it. I’ll just need to be sure not to accidentally double tap the side button when locking my iPhone until the bug is fixed.

Thanks for the tip!

Why does Apple Music pauses when screen is locked on iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.