Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(macOS High Sierra 10.13) Bluetooth devices disconnects by itself

Hello

I am using MacBook Pro. I have connected three bluetooth devices with my MacBook. I am observing that all of bluetooth devices disconnects by itself even though I am constant using them. I usually face hard time reconnecting them. I tried turning the bluetooth off and on, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Could anyone please let me know what should I do?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 5:25 PM

Hi amitjn7042,

It sounds like you're having some trouble with Bluetooth accessories staying connected to your Mac. I love the convenience afforded by Bluetooth wireless accessories, and I want to help you get this working.

First, let's make sure you're up to date running the latest version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.
Here's how to update:
How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support

If you're all up to date, and bearing in mind the steps you've already taken to resolve this issue, let's try to reset the Bluetooth module.
Here's how:
- Hold down the Shift key and the Option key and then click on the Bluetooth in the top right area of your menu bar on your Mac.
- Go to Debug > Remove all devices and click on it to disconnect from all paired Bluetooth devices. This will forget all paired Bluetooth accessories.
- Now open the same menu once again and click on Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module.
- After resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module, restart your Mac and attempt to pair one of your Bluetooth accessories and test the functionality. If that works, pair the next, and so on.

Let me know if that solves the connection issue you're having.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.
53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2017 5:25 PM in response to amitjn7042

Hi amitjn7042,

It sounds like you're having some trouble with Bluetooth accessories staying connected to your Mac. I love the convenience afforded by Bluetooth wireless accessories, and I want to help you get this working.

First, let's make sure you're up to date running the latest version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.
Here's how to update:
How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support

If you're all up to date, and bearing in mind the steps you've already taken to resolve this issue, let's try to reset the Bluetooth module.
Here's how:
- Hold down the Shift key and the Option key and then click on the Bluetooth in the top right area of your menu bar on your Mac.
- Go to Debug > Remove all devices and click on it to disconnect from all paired Bluetooth devices. This will forget all paired Bluetooth accessories.
- Now open the same menu once again and click on Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module.
- After resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module, restart your Mac and attempt to pair one of your Bluetooth accessories and test the functionality. If that works, pair the next, and so on.

Let me know if that solves the connection issue you're having.

Nov 13, 2017 8:17 PM in response to amitjn7042

Hi amitjn7042,

Thanks for giving those steps a shot for us.

I believe you could try using safe mode to isolate the issue. Repeat the same steps in safe mode, and see if the issue returns.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue is resolved by doing that, it may be that there is some software installed that is causing the malfunction. You may want to test turning off certain login items to try and isolate which one is doing that.

Let us know if that helps.

Nov 26, 2017 2:25 AM in response to rose_10

Hi Sarah,

I'm having the same problem as amitjn7042. Nothing seems to solve the problem and the problem reproduces also in safe mode. Some traces here High Sierra: bluetooth disconnecting continuosly. Seems that kernel resets usb controller all the time. If I use bluetooth via bootcamp+windows7 everything works fine. Problem seems to have appeared with the High Sierra.

Feb 13, 2018 5:26 AM in response to Scott Newman1

Scott Newman1 wrote:

I get that. I was trying to respond fully to elirnerak. I experienced the same software-based issues that you have. I'm a little surprised that there is no response from Apple at all.

This is a forum for Apple users, so we're all just fellow users here.

To raise a concern with Apple, provide feedback here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 16, 2018 7:45 AM in response to ecojim

Possible cause: USB 3.0/2.0 devices causes strong interference with the wireless built-in devices. That was my case. My particular solution: a powered usb 3.0 hub wit shielded cable far away the Mac (a tp-link UH700 or similar).

Info about the interference:

Logitech

WIRELESS PRODUCT NOT WORKING PROPERLY WHEN ALSO USING A USB 3.0 DEVICE

Apple Support:

Bluetooth: Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Feb 16, 2018 8:22 AM in response to ecojim

Possible cause: USB 3.0/2.0 devices causes strong interference with the wireless built-in devices. That was my case. My particular solution: a powered usb 3.0 hub wit shielded cable far away the Mac (a tp-link UH700 or similar).

Info about the interference:

Logitech

WIRELESS PRODUCT NOT WORKING PROPERLY WHEN ALSO USING A USB 3.0 DEVICE

Apple Support:

Bluetooth: Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Dec 29, 2017 6:48 AM in response to JWfromEagleID

I'm having the same issue after installing the High Sierra update. My iMac was new in July and I've no issues until about a month ago. It now drops bluetooth connection to my keyboard and mouse at least 3 times a day. It often just loses connection completely forcing me to use the power button to turn the iMax off and on again. Bluetooth icon says Bluetooth: Not available. Sometimes it loses connection and then connects again quickly, other times it just freezes. I've spoken to Apple twice and nothing has worked so far. Not impressed.

Dec 30, 2017 6:50 AM in response to sarahwgc

Same here. I have a new iMac 2017 that I received 3 weeks ago. It came with High Sierra installed. Its disconnecting the bluetooth apple mouse multiple times a day - frequently enough that Im using a wired mouse. As the computer came with High Sierra installed Im not sure if this is OS related or hardware - and I don't have time at the moment to run in safe mode and diagnose the problem! I'm not impressed. My mac mini on Sierra had rock solid bluetooth.

Jan 6, 2018 8:41 AM in response to amitjn7042

27" Late 2015 5K iMac running High Sierra. I've had this problem for months. As Apple doesn't seem to care about their customers' desktop products (I have tried to address this multiple times with Apple -- there is an independent website dedicated to this specific issue), I just added a corded keyboard and a wired mouse. I have tried the complete re-pairing process, the Safe Mode process, and no moderators seem to have anything other than that.

Jan 13, 2018 10:51 AM in response to amitjn7042

I have a similar problem, but with a USB WIRED mouse. Every few minutes, the mouse becomes inoperative. In this case, my mouse is connected to my USB keyboard, which is connected to my large Cinema HD display. This has worked for the many years I've had this display. There is a fix: unplug the mouse connection to the keyboard and then plug it in again. This works for another few minutes after which the mouse becomes inoperative again. The disconnection of the mouse appears to be correlated with screen activity, such as opening a new window. I've not tried to count the number of times I've had to stop and unplug/replug my mouse, but it must be in the many of dozens during a single day of work!

Jan 17, 2018 7:32 AM in response to amitjn7042

I am also having the problem on early MacBook Pro (13" Mid 2012). Very frustrating. My Magic Mouse (Bluetooth) repeatedly disconnects "Connection Lost" (little consistency on the amount of time before disconnecting ranging from a few seconds to a minute or more). It automatically reconnects when I keep playing with it.

It does not seem to disconnect my Bluetooth keyboard. This is probably an important clue.

It seems to have started when I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.2 on 1/12/18. I tried all of the tricks offered above, debugging mouse, resetting Bluetooth module, and the tricks listed by Michael Hummer.

This is ridiculous.

Jan 17, 2018 10:01 AM in response to amitjn7042

I've now spoken to apple support 3 times and none of the trouble shooting works. Yesterday I was told to reinstall the OS on my imac, which I did, but then the issue still occurs. For me it just loses bluetooth connection completely and the mouse and keyboard won't work, so I'm stuck. Occasionally it is off briefly and returns, sometimes its ages and I have to reboot using the on/off button. Sometimes I try to get it out of sleep mode and nothing happens, that's because the mouse and keyboard aren't working. I press the power button so the login screen appears but the keyboard and mouse are dead so I can't type my password to log in. Ridiculous.

So I will get back to them again to inform it still hasn't worked. I'm sure it is the High Sierra update, I did the update in November and since then the problem started. It was fine from July, when I bought it new, until November time.

I note with interest someone has linked it to Garmin Express, I do have that installed and that is the next thing I will try, I'll remove it and see if it works. As it seems to happen 2 or 3 times a day it will be easily to tell if it is resolved. I'll report back. I'm amazed apple support are not more actively looking in to this. There was an update to High Sierra this morning so I'm hoping perhaps that has some kind of fix it it!

(macOS High Sierra 10.13) Bluetooth devices disconnects by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.