Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No service after iOS 11 update

iPhone 6 Plus getting searching or no service. I can make phone calls/iMessage while on WiFi. I’ve tried these steps:

1. Turn on/off, hard shut off as well.

2. Turn on/off airplane mode, cellular, LTE, roaming.

3. Reset network settings.

4. Reset all settings. (Worked for a day only).

5. Update to 11.1 iOS and 30.1 carrier update.

6. Check time and date settings.

7. Took out SIM card.

8. Took off case.

9. No water damages.

10. Restore (Worked for a day).

Looked at multiple sites and so far it still says searching. AT&T account is good. I have 5 iPhones on my account and they have not updated and they still work. (iPhone 5s, 6, 6, 7, 7). Trying to avoid going to the Apple store as I know they will probably throw a $320 charge as I’m out of warranty. Any tips is welcomed!

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 5:37 PM

137 replies

Nov 6, 2017 9:09 PM in response to TAL95

These are the appropriate steps to take and the most updated (as of Nov 2, 2017):

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), or can't connect to a cellular network or cellular data, follow these steps:

Check your coverage area

Make sure that you're in an area with cellular network coverage. Then follow these steps:

• If you can't connect to a cellular network on your iPhone, make sure that cellular data is on in Settings > Cellular*. On your iPad, go to Settings > Cellular Data.
  • If you're traveling internationally, make sure that your device is set up for data roaming. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Data Roaming.
    User uploaded file

Restart your iPhone or iPad

Restart your device. If you're not sure how to do this, follow these steps.User uploaded file

Check for a Carrier Settings update

To manually check for and install a carrier settings update:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.
  3. To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

If you insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.User uploaded file

Take out the SIM card and put it back in

If the SIM card is damaged, or doesn't fit in the SIM tray, contact your carrier. Learn more about removing your SIM card.User uploaded file

Reset your Network Settings.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.User uploaded file

Update your iPhone or iPad

Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS.User uploaded file

Contact your carrier

Issues with your carrier or account might affect your service. Contact your carrier to:

• Verify that your account is active and in good standing.
  • Make sure there are no outages in your area.
  • Check that your device isn't blocked from receiving cellular services and is set up with the right data plan.

If you still can't connect to a cellular network, and have confirmed with your carrier that there isn't an issue with your account or network, try restoring your device.

Only your wireless carrier can access and manage details about your account. If you need help finding your wireless carrier's service page, use the Apple carrier-support article or an online search engine.

In some countries or regions, you might see Mobile instead of Cellular. For example, you might see Settings > Mobile or Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Network instead of Settings > Cellular or Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network.

Published Date: Nov 2, 2017

Nov 20, 2017 2:06 PM in response to liv0123

**Of note: carriers who previously had no updates available are now getting updated ones to their customers. Check again if you have previously to see if you fall into that category & can now update your carrier settings

For reference & regarding what these updates do:

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Learn about the carrier settings updates for your iPhone or iPad.

Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings to improve cellular network connectivity and performance. Carrier settings updates can also add support for features like VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling. For more information on carrier settings updates, contact your carrier.

When a carrier setting update is available, you'll be prompted to install it. If your carrier releases a mandatory update, you'll see an OK button instead of an Update button to let you know that the update was downloaded and installed.

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps:

1. Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

If you insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Published Date: Sep 20, 2017

Feb 10, 2018 9:44 AM in response to Monicanstr

Hi Monicanstr,

If you have an iPhone 7, this may be applicable to you:

iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues

Apple has determined that a small percentage of iPhone 7 devices may show "No Service" in the status bar (even if cellular coverage is available), due to a component that has failed on the main logic board.

These affected units were manufactured between September 2016 and February 2018 and sold in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, and the U.S. See below for iPhone 7 model numbers that are covered in this program.

If your device exhibits the symptom described above, Apple will repair your device, free of charge. Your iPhone will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program. This program only applies to iPhone 7.

Apple will be contacting customers via email who may have paid for a repair related to this issue to arrange for reimbursement. If you believe you paid for a repair related to this issue, and have not received an email from Apple by the end of March 2018, please contact Apple.

Below are the three model numbers that are eligible for this program. You can find the model number on the back of your iPhone 7.

Model number Country/Region
A1660, A1780 China
A1660 Hong Kong
Macao
U.S. (includes Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands)
A1779 Japan
User uploaded file

Service process

Choose one of the service options below to have your iPhone 7 repaired. In all cases, your iPhone will be sent to an Apple Repair Center for service.

• Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.
  • Apple Retail Store - Make an appointment here.
  • Apple Technical Support - Contact us.

Note: Wireless carrier partners are not participating in this program.

Before service, backup your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud. Learn more about preparing your iPhone for service.

If your iPhone 7 has any damage which impairs the ability to complete the repair, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the service. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the additional repair.

Additional information

Apple may restrict or limit repair to the original country or region of purchase.

This Apple program doesn't extend the standard warranty coverage of the iPhone 7.

The program covers affected iPhone 7 devices for 2 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Information as of 2018-02-02

Nov 16, 2017 11:04 AM in response to TAL95

I’ve had the same problem ever since updating. SUPER INCONVENIENT.

I’ve tried all suggestions:

Carrier settings

Reset network settings

Reset ALL settings

Take SIM card out and reinsert (worked once)

Wipe device and restore

Hard reset (usually works for maybe an hour or so)

Finally, I got a new sim from Vodafone (Australia) and it didn’t help at all.

I’m not happy that a minor update can cause the most critical problem a phone can have. Out of warranty and will not be pursuaded to upgrade when my device is in otherwise perfect working order. I’ll also not pay a cent for support. Not happy.

Nov 16, 2017 11:07 AM in response to Burnzoire

Got a new SIM card from AT&T and did not work. Pretty much AT&T is pointing fingers to Apple and when I went to Apple, they are saying it’s the carrier service. So I am pretty much stuck in the middle between both. I won’t be upgrading as well. Waiting for the next update and if it fails, switching over to Samsung.

Nov 6, 2017 7:07 PM in response to TAL95

Hi TAL95,

This is likely a carrier update issue. You can usually correct this type of behaviour by going to Settings > General > About. If a carrier settings update is available, you'll know by visiting this page.

If a carrier update is not available, try going to Settings > Service Provider. If the "Automatic" toggle is turned off, turn it on. If it is already on, try turning it off and then on again. Once you've done this, Restart your iPhone. This should solve your issue. If it does not, it's an issue with your carrier - in which case, you'll likely need to request a new SIM card.

If you have any further questions, queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply to the thread as I'm following it.

If you found that my answer solved your question, please mark the question as solved, and my response as "Helpful".

Best of luck!

Jan 13, 2018 1:38 AM in response to iphoneuserDallas

This is my experienced SOLUTION for the intermittent and consistent "No Service or Searching" and Cellular Data/Cellular Network connectivity issue on one of my company’s mobile device. Problem was not a device software/hardware issue, which is especially demonstrated for those who have a new device or have performed a full device reset. Apologies in advance for the lengthy reply and hope this steers you as well as others towards a permanent resolution.

Device Information was incorrectly logged in the wireless carrier's system.

Step 1 - Accurately confirm your Device Information. First, go to Settings>Phone to view My Number (phone number). Second, go to Settings>General>About to view the device's Serial #, IMEI, ICCID, etc. IMEI=International Mobile Equipment Identity and this 15-digit serial # differs from the manufacturer’s serial #. ICCID=Integrated Circuit Card Identifier and this 20-digit # directly references the SIM card that's physically installed in device’s external port.

Step 2 - Contact your wireless carrier and ask them to verify that pertinent device info is respectively aligned. Just an FYI, a carrier’s system may demonstrate info correctly, but a refresh of info may be required in their system so that correct functionality is stimulated. ASK THEM TO CLEAR OUT ALL OF THEIR LOGGED FIELDS FOR DEVICE INFO AND RE-ENTER THE INFO. They should also ask you to power down your device during this process. Begin with the basic info assigned in their system, such as phone number and iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X. Next, confirm the serialized type info. ICCID is critical. Be prepared to replace the carrier’s provided SIM card should the ICCID not match their system. Once device is powered up and is functioning correctly through cellular service ONLY, it’s also a good time to ensure that the Visual Voicemail is functioning. You or they, using another phone, can leave a test voicemail.

***Resolution steps above makes assumptions of mobile device general readiness.***

Refer to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415. I’m sure I’ve missed some, but a few examples of readiness are as follows:

Device isn’t damaged.

Device appropriate SIM card is correctly installed.

Device cellular is turned on and cellular settings within device are correctly configured.

Device software is updated to iOS 8 or later version.

Device is manufactured specifically for and/or approved for use through wireless carrier.

Within wireless carrier service area and no cellular outages.

Wireless carrier account is in good standing/active and there isn't service type block referencing your device's IMEI. Blocks/blacklisting logged by wireless carrier can be from device reported as lost or stolen.

Carrier Settings update has been installed on device. If cellular or Wi-Fi service is available when checking Carrier version installed, you’ll see a pop up window for a Carrier Settings Update Available. Go to Settings>General>About and wait a few moments. Apply this update whenever it’s available.

Cheers & Good Luck!

John

Nov 16, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Burnzoire

I was having the exact same problems after my 6 year old accidentally installed iOS 11 on my SE last night. All day today I had no cellular data and I was so frustrated. Did all the fixes and nothing worked. Until...

I reached out to my carrier (Ting) and online chatted with a rep who asked me to reboot the phone (ugh) and try the data again. Started feeling more annoyed since I had tried this and more already but BOOM my cellular data was working! I asked “what happened” and the rep told me I had reached an internal limit that he reset on his end. That was it! So I suggest trying your carrier to see if there is someThing causing the issue on their end.

No service after iOS 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.