Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Bootcamp support software (drivers) on Windows 10 - MacBook Pro 2016 15" Touch

This will be my 4th MacBook Pro I'm using. I never had any issue with installing Bootcamp support software on any of my previous MacBook Pros except this one.

Whenever I try to install the bootcamp support software drivers setup on my Windows 10 Enterprise, it will finish upto 25% and then freezes the screen with a noise coming from the speakers. If I leave it as such, it reboots itself into Mac OSX in 4 minutes.

I went to the apple store for help, they didn't know what Bootcamp support software for windows is. They set me up with a call with tech support. I was speaking to the level 1 tech support, who wanted me to

1. try downloading the support software fresh from MacOSX and try. I tried and it didn't work. (I had done this on multiple USB sticks and network drives - nothing worked)

2. she had me upgrade my OSX to High Sierra and then download the software again and try. (It downloaded the same bootcamp support software version as earlier) It didn't work.

3. she escalated the case to next level and then came back stating that I have to wipe the partition, and do a clean install of windows through bootcamp from scratch. I have at-least 30 different software loaded and working on them and don't want to lose all my customization on those. I said I can't do that and wanted to find any other alternative.

4. she came back to me sand said I will have to try installing the bootcamp 6.1 downloaded from any torrent website directly downloading from windows side. The versions I downloaded doesn't even let me install on my laptop.

There is no boot camp engineer at apple who could help me with this case. They didn't even troubleshoot anything on the windows side - no request for windows error logs nothing.

If anyone has gone through this before can you please help me resolve this issue. The only thing I need to have it working on my MacBook Pro 15" Touch - is the right click mouse from the default touchpad. To my knowledge I can get this working only if I have bootcamp installed on windows.

MacBook Pro, Windows 10, No OSX installed - just Windows 10

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 7:11 AM

18 replies

Nov 9, 2017 7:53 AM in response to tcsekhar

tcsekhar wrote:

Whenever I try to install the bootcamp support software drivers setup on my Windows 10 Enterprise, it will finish upto 25% and then freezes the screen with a noise coming from the speakers.

Windows Enterprise is not supported on a Mac, but Windows Retail is. Are you aware of Install Audio Driver Update for Boot Camp to avoid issues with 2016 MacBook Pro speakers - Apple Support ?

Do you have a Boot Camp item in Windows Control Panel? If yes, do you have a Trackpad tab?

Nov 9, 2017 8:38 AM in response to tcsekhar

tcsekhar wrote:

Where did you find that Windows Enterprise is not supported on Mac? Can you please share the link?

I had been running Windows Enterprise 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - on MacBook Pro 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016. Except for this 2016 MacBook Pro Touch, I never had any issues with running the OS on any of my MacBooks.

From

Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support,

These instructions are for Windows 7. Check the compatibility tables to see if your Mac works with these Windows 7 versions: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1).

Also, from Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support, the Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) points to Retail versions of Windows. None of MSDN or Enterprise versions are available from this link.

Nov 9, 2017 8:01 AM in response to Loner T

Where did you find that Windows Enterprise is not supported on Mac? Can you please share the link?

I had been running Windows Enterprise 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - on MacBook Pro 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016. Except for this 2016 MacBook Pro Touch, I never had any issues with running the OS on any of my MacBooks.

Yes, I'm aware of that Audio Driver update and I do have the 6.001.3.36 Cirrus Logic media driver installed.

Nov 9, 2017 8:39 AM in response to tcsekhar

tcsekhar wrote:

No, I don't see the Boot Camp item in Windows Control Panel. I was never able to get past the 25% mark while installing Boot Camp driver software, and hence nothing in systray nor in control panel.

Please check setupapi.dev.log for any driver installation issues. Can you check the Product Version that you download from BCA -> Action -> Download menu item?

Nov 10, 2017 6:59 AM in response to Loner T

I figured that it was the graphic driver installation which was causing the crash. Hence, I replaced the graphic card setup file with a different setup file, and ran the setup. This time it did install this time. Now I have bootcamp on my MacBook Pro - running Windows 10 Enterprise.

My sincere advice for anyone who has similar issue, DO NOT TALK TO APPLE SUPPORT FOR boot camp on Windows side - issues. You will just be wasting your time. They don't know how to troubleshoot on windows. They can only help if there is something wrong on the OSX side.

Nov 10, 2017 9:53 AM in response to tcsekhar

<Name>NVIDIA Display Driver

<InfName>nvao.inf</InfName>

<Class> Display</Class>

<ClassGUID> {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile> nvao.CAT</CatalogFile>

<Provider>NVIDIA</Provider>

<DriverVer> 06/10/2015, 10.18.13.5324</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>nvlddmkm.sys</ServiceBinary>

<HardwareID></HardwareID>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>AMD Audio Bus Lower Filter

<InfName>amdkmafd.inf</InfName>

<Class>System</Class>

<ClassGUID>{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>amdkmafd.cat</CatalogFile>

<Provider>AMD</Provider>

<DriverVer>08/15/2016, 16.40.0.0000</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>amdkmafd.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

<Name> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Display Driver

<InfName>C0307252.inf</InfName>

<Class>Display</Class>

<ClassGUID>{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>C0307252.CAT</CatalogFile>

<Provider> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."</Provider>

<DriverVer>09/14/2016, 21.19.128.7</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>atikmdag.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>AMD Function Driver for HD Audio Service

<InfName>AtihdWT6.inf</InfName>

<Class>MEDIA</Class>

<ClassGUID>{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>AtihdWT6.cat</CatalogFile>

<Provider>Advanced Micro Devices</Provider>

<DriverVer>07/13/2016,10.0.1.00</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>system32\drivers\AtihdWT6.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

Nov 10, 2017 11:52 AM in response to Loner T

Both the versions I gave you are from the bootcamp USB. One is from the Bootcamp.XML and the other one is from the AMD folder within the Bootcamp folders "[USBDRIVE]:WindowsSupport\BootCamp\Drivers\AMD\AMDGraphics\Config\CIMManifest. xml"

Yes I have automatic updates enabled.

From files in Bootcamp USB drive:
Bootcamp.xml: 09/14/2016, 21.19.128.7

CIMManifest.xml: 16.40.2501-160914a-307252C

The actual current driver installed on my Windows 10:
AMD Radeon Pro 460: 22.19.170.1536

This question should be to Apple - why is the CIMManifest file under the AMD graphics driver folder version different from the version mentioned in the bootcamp.xml for the graphics driver.

Unable to install Bootcamp support software (drivers) on Windows 10 - MacBook Pro 2016 15" Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.