Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proof of purchase for a refurbished phone?

Hi can anyone help with advice please?

I have been given a refurbished phone when I claimed on my insurance with Carphone warehouse. My son forgot his passcode and we can not get it unlocked because it is still registered with the previous owners apple id.

I supplied proof of purchase from Carphone Warehouse but Apple say that is not good enough and want Carphone Warehouse proof of purchase for when they acquired the phone. Carphone Warehouse can not supply that because of data protection.

Have no idea what to do next?

iPhone 6

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:58 AM

Apple is indeed correct and will not unlock the phone or remove the Activation Lock, unless the original owner provides proof of purchase.

The device has an Activation Lock on it. The only individual who can remove that lock is the original owner. That person will have to login to the device using their Apple ID credentials and remove the lock.

If the original owner cannot be located, the device is now essentially useless to you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 8:58 AM in response to suelyons01

Apple is indeed correct and will not unlock the phone or remove the Activation Lock, unless the original owner provides proof of purchase.

The device has an Activation Lock on it. The only individual who can remove that lock is the original owner. That person will have to login to the device using their Apple ID credentials and remove the lock.

If the original owner cannot be located, the device is now essentially useless to you.

Nov 12, 2017 8:58 AM in response to zinacef

Thank you that was very helpful. Would you know if phone companies that sell refurbished phones have a process for this. The phone provider says that their proof of issue to me should be sufficient. Its looking that purchasing any refurbished apple product is not advisable from anyone else other than Apple, do you think that could be correct?

Proof of purchase for a refurbished phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.