Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive won't mount in high sierra

Is something broken in High Sierra when it comes to external USB HDs? Did something break in the USB stack?

Up until installing High Sierra I have been able to mount my external USB hard-drive with my MacBook Air. I now try connecting it and it will not longer mount. It isn't even listed in the USB devices section, when I check "System Information".

Originally I thought the drive was broken, but I did some digging and none of my Seagate drives will mount. Same issue with all of them (I have three Seagate drives: 2 FreeAgent GoFlex and 1 Backup Plus Portable Drive). They don't appear in the list of USB devices and no LED activity of the drives. They are all USB 3.0 based drives.

They all work on my old Mac Mini, which is running macOS 10.11.6. Two of the drives are HFS+ and the other is NTFS.

An older USB 2.0 based drive mount fine.

I am using macOS 10.13.1 on the MacBook Air.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 7:01 PM

I don't believe it has anything to do with USB. It doesn't work for me when using both USB and Thunderbolt. After some digging, I think it all has to do with High Sierra and APFS. High Sierra is deemed one of the worst OSX updates in Apple's history and it could be simply just a lack of support for spinning HDD drives and that's why nothing will mount. Unfortunately, that makes this a waiting game for an update to fix all of this due to Apple leaving HFS+ and going to APFS.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 7:01 PM in response to Andre John Mas

I don't believe it has anything to do with USB. It doesn't work for me when using both USB and Thunderbolt. After some digging, I think it all has to do with High Sierra and APFS. High Sierra is deemed one of the worst OSX updates in Apple's history and it could be simply just a lack of support for spinning HDD drives and that's why nothing will mount. Unfortunately, that makes this a waiting game for an update to fix all of this due to Apple leaving HFS+ and going to APFS.

Dec 25, 2017 5:22 PM in response to Csound1

HS has about turned a 10 + year Mac user against them. I have lost so much time and money it's pitiful. If they don't get their junk together I will be selling a Macbook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad Pro and 2 new iPhone 8s and going to PC and android. Ever since Steve Jobs passed the company is going to the dogs. Get your act together Apple!

Jan 8, 2018 8:34 PM in response to TheHerd25

I cannot believe this is happening AGAIN. Several years ago, I installed an OS update and Time Machine no longer worked with external drives. I contacted Apple via phone and of course, no one knew anything about the problem. After spending hours trying to figure out what was wrong (they tried various steps with me) including taking the machine and drives to the Genius Bar, to no avail, it turned out that the update was the problem and eventually a fix was offered in another update.

So, this time, I waited a LONG time to install High Sierra (today), thinking that the major problems would have been resolved. But I am having the same problems you described, with two drives, although one is recognized but backs up VERY slowly. As I read the replies this problem was introduced with a mid-Dec. update. So even waiting a long time doesn't help! Come on, Apple, this falls well below your standards--and to have it happen twice, is really bad.

Nov 12, 2017 2:21 PM in response to Andre John Mas

Had similar issue. Open disk utilities. If none of these drives show up look for the menu (new in High Sierra) that states "show all". If drive shows up try repair and if that does not work you may need to reformat it if nothing on that needs saving. I had two drives that I needed to fix that way. They were both fine with Sierra but High Sierra must be doing something different.

Nov 12, 2017 9:58 PM in response to tbirdvet

The problem is the drives don't even show up as USB devices in "System Information", so nothing else in the OS is going to know about it. I did check with "Disk Utility" as suggested, and none of the drives are listed, as suspected.

I did try creating a Sierra recovery disk, but that did not result in a mounting disk. This makes me wonder whether 10.13 installed new firmware as part of the update process, which I suspect it did to support APFS? The 'boot rom version' indicated is MBA61.0103.B00 and the 'smc version' is 2.13f15. Mac model is 'MacBookAir6,2'.

Just tried reseting the NVRAM, but that did not make a difference.

Nov 14, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Andre John Mas

Further investigation suggests that maybe the power levels are no longer being negotiated properly (these are 2.5" external bus powered drives)?

My reasoning is based on the following: When I plug in the drive straight into the Mac no drive lights appear and it is not even recognised as a USB device, when checked via "System Information". On the other hand, if I plug the drives individually, into my D-Link DUB-H7 USB 2.0 hub then they gets recognised as a USB device and even mounts.

Jan 4, 2018 7:19 AM in response to vilko

vilko wrote:

Me. You create update that makes previous external disks unusable, and when people complain you poke fun at them? There should be a RED big warning that you are changing underlining filing system that will not be compatible with previous hardware.

External disks are not made unusable. You have a configuration or procedural problem. If you want assistance please start your own thread providing your system details and the details of your issue.

Jan 4, 2018 7:15 PM in response to ssspol

I guess waiting for an update makes the most sense?? I have a WD My Passport Ultra that is not recognized. I can see it in Disc Utility but it will not "mount". I noticed that the last High Sierra update was in mid December, which was when this hard drive (which I use for Time Machine), stopped working. Haven't had a backup since then. Ugghh.

Thank you for your insightful post. This is frustrating. I hope that Apple puts a fix in the next update because it seems that this issue is prevalent.

External hard drive won't mount in high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.