Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra 10.13.1 Blurry Preview in Preview

I am having a problem with Preview app in High Sierra 10.13.1. The preview in preview became noticably and irritatingly blurry after my upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. I am attaching the comparison between the rendering in Google Chrome and Preview below:

Chrome

User uploaded file

Preview:

User uploaded file

This is such a dealbreaker, since I use my Mac mostly for reading pdfs and other academic purposes. I would like to solve this without reverting to Sierra. I would appreciate any tips or solutions.

Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 4:07 AM in response to huseyingungor In response to huseyingungor

Using your PDF.

So here on my MacPro I have 4 versions of Mac OS X/ macOS.

The oldest Lion 10.7.5 renders your pdf perfectly well.

Next is El Capitan 10.11.6 which is blurred.

Next is Sierra 10.12.6 which is perfect.

High Sierra 10.13.1 is blurred.

A new clean install of High Sierra 10.13.1 no third party apps, extensions etc, Preview blurred.

If you Google Preview blurred in Yosemite, or El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra you will see that it is a constant problem with various OS's over the years. I believe Mavericks was fine, Yosemite was never resolved, I was surprised to boot into El Capitan and find that the pdfs were blurred. Sierra was fixed so we can only hope that they will pay some attention to the issue in High Sierra, in the meantime don't hold you breath.

The only reason that I can give for a perceived increase in focus whilst in safe mode is that the display profile being used in safe mode has increased contrast and therefore gives the impression of the text being sharper.

In High Sierra when you zoom in to the document it renders fine but it is when you zoom out approx 125% and less that it gets blurry, in Sierra for example the document is rendered well in all zoomed windows.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 15, 2017 5:42 AM in response to Eau Rouge In response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for the reply. I edited the post as you requested.

How could something like this be status quo, though? One of the main functions of Macs are to ease academic work. This is simply unacceptable and should be high on the list of things-to-repair.

Nov 15, 2017 5:42 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 15, 2017 6:23 AM in response to huseyingungor In response to huseyingungor

I would like to report a detail that might be relevant to solving this.

I have just rebooted my Mac in safe mode and Preview seems to be working well, that is, no blurry rendering (If you want, I can provide screenshots). Shouldn't this suggest that there is some app which is causing this behaviour?

Nov 15, 2017 6:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 6:30 AM in response to huseyingungor In response to huseyingungor

huseyingungor wrote:

I have just rebooted my Mac in safe mode and Preview seems to be working well, that is, no blurry rendering (If you want, I can provide screenshots). Shouldn't this suggest that there is some app which is causing this behaviour?

Yes, that is exactly what it suggests. It also would explain why I can't see the difference you are seeing.

Nov 15, 2017 6:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2017 8:08 AM in response to huseyingungor In response to huseyingungor

huseyingungor wrote:

Yes, it does.

You may also try Preview in a different user account, and see if it behaves like the Safe mode version or the blurry one.

You may also post an Etrecheck report so we can take a look, and hopefully detect some possible causes.

Nov 15, 2017 8:08 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: huseyingungor

Question: High Sierra 10.13.1 Blurry Preview in Preview