Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage freezing when sending pictures

If a picture is selected then iMessaged and it hasn’t sent yet, then try to send more pictures to the same contact or group, my phone freezes and have to close iMessage and wait for first message to send before can send the next. This has happened at least half a dozen times. Also, with the new update my phone will randomly get stuck with the screen half down like it would if you tap the home button, but at times it wasn’t tapped and mostly happens on the lock screen. Have an iPhone 7 and the most recent update. Wish it was possible to undo the update! And sad it didn’t work good on a phone only a year old.

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 8:44 PM

This answer is completely worthless and assumes people are posting this issue who don’t know to do all that. It’s a MAJOR BUG that is true on ANY iOS11 device - my iPad mini, iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and iPhone X ALL have this issue so it can’t be WiFi or something a mere hard close, reboot or reset can fix. It is a MAJOR flaw as you can’t send a picture and then send another without closing iMessage and waiting 30 seconds. This issue has been here since iOS 11 came out. I wonder if Apple iPhone engineers even USE an iPhone or they would easily discover this and other bugs just using the phone like normal. This worked fine in previous iOS versions so iOS 11 BROKE texting pictures, some people do a lot.

Please don’t give lame answers that blame the user - please fix the issue.

Much thanks.

124 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 8:44 PM in response to CarlAVII

This answer is completely worthless and assumes people are posting this issue who don’t know to do all that. It’s a MAJOR BUG that is true on ANY iOS11 device - my iPad mini, iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and iPhone X ALL have this issue so it can’t be WiFi or something a mere hard close, reboot or reset can fix. It is a MAJOR flaw as you can’t send a picture and then send another without closing iMessage and waiting 30 seconds. This issue has been here since iOS 11 came out. I wonder if Apple iPhone engineers even USE an iPhone or they would easily discover this and other bugs just using the phone like normal. This worked fine in previous iOS versions so iOS 11 BROKE texting pictures, some people do a lot.

Please don’t give lame answers that blame the user - please fix the issue.

Much thanks.

Dec 14, 2017 9:09 PM in response to CarlAVII

I am having the same issues on my iPhone 7. I have done several reboots and resets but have had this issue since I got the phone. Apple has offered to replace the phone however I don’t want to go through the hassle of that if it doesn’t solve the issue. In addition when my phone is connected to WiFi networks (all) the speed is horrible. Pictures come in via iMessage and need to be Downlaoded, surfing the web takes forever. Other devices don’t have issues on the same networks and my iPhone 6s did not have these issues. I’ve even relaxed the modem/router at home and it did not help. Super disappointed in the 7 wish I had just kept my 6S

Dec 25, 2017 5:11 AM in response to atsamia123

I’m having the same issue with my 7. It’s freezing when I try to send a message. My 6 didn’t have this problem. I’m having to power off my iPhone to reset and eliminate the issue. The phones are too expensive to have such an annoying issue. It needs to be resolved without the inconvenience of returning the phone. I didn’t have the problem when I originally got the phone. It only happened after one of the many required updates.

Dec 26, 2017 4:32 PM in response to Sad28

Same with my iPhone X. Got it on Christmas Eve. Have noticed that if I select a photo and try to iMessage it. When I go to add names of recipients it locks up.

Have forced closed. Rebooted phone etc. has current iOS etc etc.

Work around I tried this morning was to open the iMessage and drop the photos in from the message v selecting the photo in the photo stream and messaging from there

I also think it is software v hardware. Especially considering effecting multiple devices. Common thread is iOS.

Needs to be reported to Apple through the feedback so that they can look into it. I have provided feedback via their app. Even got an email back to say thanks that the information provided helped.

Good luck. Hope an iOS update resolves this.

Dec 26, 2017 6:26 PM in response to Krosen1310

I am having this same issue on an iPhone 6s, freezes/hesitates often in Messages when trying to attach photos and sometimes when trying to share web links from Safari. I have to click multiple times, sometimes it will respond, other times I have to force close Messages, and then try again. I too have better success if I send/insert photos from within Messages versus within the Photos albums. This behavior began with iOS 11, and I'm on 11.2.1 and it still is not fixed. Rebooting/restarting the phone doesn't resolve the problem.

Feb 26, 2018 12:34 PM in response to Krosen1310

Hello, When using Message are you using it with a “Subject Field”? If you are try turning off the “Show Subject Field” Option in Settings. I have found by turning off this option it will stop the Message SCREEN FREEZING problem when you try to send a message with a Photo or Message Sticker. Don’t know why this is, but I have reported the problem to Apple. I have a 6S Plus and have seen this issue on the 7 Plus model too.

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2018 11:06 AM in response to GeeZ06

Sorry folks. Let me try this again.

Hello All, With all the messages this issue is generating I thought I would do a new test using the latest 11.2.6 IOS update. Because a picture can be worth a thousand words I’ve included a screen print to show my experience with this freezing issue, but it does not tell the whole story. After talking with my test receipient I’ve learned this is a sending not a receiving issue. The receipient always gets the iMessage Photo and or Sticker as it should be. On my test I sent a iMessage with a “Subject Line Field” and a Cookie Monster Sticker. As expected the Screen Froze, but the message did send. Before I could do a Force Closure o the app (Double Click Home Button & slide screen up) I received respose from my receiver person. My screen unfroze, but the original message and sticker was still on the screen and overlapping other text. No matter what screen I navigate to in Messages that original Cookie Monster Sticker is there. The only way to clear that image is with a Force Closure of Messages and then restarting the app. Only then is everything normal, including the display of the “Subject Line Field” “Sticker Test”, as the screen print shows. For My situation using a iPhone 6s Plus, the ONLY fix is to NOT have the “Subject Line Field” turned on. Without it on everything works fine. I have seen many replies saying the Subject Line Field on or off had no affect on the issue. Hopefully Apple will be able to figure this one out and have a fix. Hope my long winded explanation helps.

User uploaded file

Nov 15, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Krosen1310

Hi, Krosen1210,
From your post, I understand that you are having trouble sending pictures via iMessage. Specifically, when you send one iMessage, you are unable to send another until the first one is finished sending. If you try to send additional pictures, your Messages app becomes unresponsive. Additionally, you’ve noticed another situation where the display will pop down halfway (Reachability) without prompt. I’m happy to help!
The first recommendation I have, if you have not already, is to force close the Messages app: How to force an app to quit - Apple Support. Then, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. This restart will address both iMessage and Reachability
If you have completed these two steps, in this order, and the issue with iMessage continues, the next step would be to check your connected network. If it’s private Wi-Fi, like at your house, reset the router if you’re able. This typically can be done by unplugging the router from power for a few seconds, but some routers also have a reset button. Check with your user manual or the manufacturer for the specific instructions.
If you’re on public Wi-Fi (or are otherwise unable to reset the connected Wi-Fi network), or you are using cellular data, try switching networks. You can go from Wi-Fi to cellular data or vice versa, and also try another Wi-Fi network.

In regard to Reachability, you can turn the feature off if restarting the iPhone has not helped, and you decide you do not wish to use the feature under Settings > General > Accessibility > Reachability. Switch the toggle from the on (green) position to the off (grey) position by tapping it.
Should you need additional help after trying these steps, do not hesitate to respond back. If you do, please confirm the iOS version number running on your iPhone 7. You can get that under Settings > General > About > Version.
Cheers!

Jan 2, 2018 4:38 PM in response to Sad28

I’m pretty sure it’s a software issue not hardware. I’ve got a 5S and iPad air. The iPad air started exhibiting this problem immediately after updating to iOS 11. I did not update my 5S and it does not have this problem.

The iPad air only does this occasionally, and a reboot and or forcing closed the messages app seems to clear it up for a while, but there is obviously some kind of bug in Messages, Photos, or some other app causing a memory conflict or something.

In retrospect I wish I had not updated to iOS 11, as my iPad Air got slower, and the added bells and whistles aren’t worth the slowdown and glitches. I know it’s kind of a pipe dream but I wish that Apple would allow someone to reinstall an earlier OS.

Jan 4, 2018 2:23 PM in response to Hart1118

Same problem here with 2 brand new iPhones from Verizon, 8plus models bought Christmas 2018.

Screen locks up/freezes when trying to send text message photos. First one will usually send, second one will break the message app and you have to do all kinds of stupid things like restart the app or phone. That is not a “solution” by the way, it’s a cumbersome work-around.

Jan 6, 2018 6:27 AM in response to Krosen1310

Every update creates more problems and rarely if ever a solution and usable enhancement for me. I have same issue after update as everyone else. Also the feature where you press and hold th space bar (when writing a text or anything) hold it down and allows you to use the screen as a track pad to move the cursor worked amazing. Now you have to sometimes try it several times as it will just put a space instead of convert. Anyone with that issue as well?

Jan 27, 2018 5:16 AM in response to Hart1118

I have the same issue and it started with my iPhone 7. I have 2 company phones doing the same thing but the other phones are fine. Both iPhone 7 phones are updated to the latest. This started the day I bought the 7 and hasn’t changed thru all the updates. Very frustrating. It freezes at least 75% of the time when I forward anything...pics, contact, files, etc. via text or iMessage. I don’t need to reboot, I just have to wait 30 seconds while it “pauses” or cancel and try again multiple times until it finally works. Other times, it works perfectly. This is every single day.

iMessage freezing when sending pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.