Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can't access desktop items or downloads folder after High Sierra update

I did the High Sierra update, but I'm missing quite a lot of files that were on my desktop, but also it says I do not have permission to access my downloads folder. Documents is empty. I seem to have an empty Macbook. Even my dropbox folder is empty now.

iCloud drive is turned off. I didn't get any prompts during the install process asking me to turn it on, or that it was going to delete my files and data.

Can I get this missing data back? This really isn't good.

Can anyone help me out, please?

Thanks.

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Hi,

What happens when you turn on iCloud drive ?

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 1:23 AM in response to anonyme4321 In response to anonyme4321

Hi, thanks. I just turned it on and it took me to preferences and desktop was the only option not checked, so I enabled that and it took me to a pop up screen telling me to upgrade to a 0.79p a month storage option. I have bought it anyway to see if I can find my files, if not I can always cancel it, although I don't really need this as my macbook has 120GB free. I think the missing files were maybe 10GB at most. It is all stuff that is backed up, barring a few smaller, recent files, but it's the pain of sifting through drives to get it all back in one place.

Nov 16, 2017 1:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 1:32 AM in response to anonyme4321 In response to anonyme4321

Yes, I have just upgraded to a 0.79p a month plan and it gave me my data back. Seems quite a poor way to do things, especially as there's no mention of this before or during the update.

Anyway, it's fixed now, thanks.

Nov 16, 2017 1:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 2:04 AM in response to Monkey_Chops In response to Monkey_Chops

This is really odd.

If I go to the desktop through finder, it is empty. If I search for the files manually, they come up, and the path shows them as on the desktop, but they are not there.

Any idea why this would be? Thanks.

Nov 16, 2017 2:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 6:57 AM in response to anonyme4321 In response to anonyme4321

Thanks. I turned off icloud and it asked if I wanted to leave a copy of the icloud files, so I said yes and it's taken till now to complete, about 25GB. icloud drive off and no files in documents or desktop. If I turn it back on, it then tries to go through the whole process again.

So now, I have the desktop back, downloads back, but documents is empty. Aaargh!

Nov 16, 2017 6:57 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Monkey_Chops

Question: Can't access desktop items or downloads folder after High Sierra update