Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my device iphone 7 32 GB mate black, in setting Model FN8X2LL/A & A1778..my qns is ..is it Refurbished or not.. how i know it?

About Refurbished or not.. IPhone 7 32GB Black mate Model FN8X2LL/A & A1778

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 8:18 AM

33 replies

Nov 17, 2017 8:48 AM in response to fan90

I'm not aware of the serial number definition, but that does not mean it isn't true, and I trust Phil, so I'm guessing he knows. If you purchased this device at an actual Apple retail store, and not an authorized reseller, then I would go back to the store and ask, unless you purposely requested to purchase a refurbished phone.

Nov 17, 2017 10:40 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I'm not aware of the serial number definition, but that does not mean it isn't true, and I trust Phil, so I'm guessing he knows. If you purchased this device at an actual Apple retail store, and not an authorized reseller, then I would go back to the store and ask, unless you purposely requested to purchase a refurbished phone.

Thanks,

Model numbers specified here. It's all anecdotal of course based on model numbers found on known retail units, and known refurbished units, etc...

Models - The iPhone Wiki

Nov 18, 2017 12:54 PM in response to fan90

Okay, so it sounds like you were taken by someone who is not an Authorized Apple Reseller. When you buy from someone other than Apple or an Authorized reseller, you take your chances. There is nothing that Apple can do about it, nor can anyone here. If the seller did not advertise the device as a refurbished, then deal with the authorities.

When you say it was Dubai Apple Store, are you saying this was a genuine Apple Retail store, or just a store that sells Apple products.

Nov 19, 2017 9:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

iPhone 7 Model FN8X2LL/A & A1778 is Refurbished but I chack more than 6/7 website about imei & serial no. from that I known this phone production date 16 May 2017 & purchase date 1 August 2017 ....few website shown this phone is not Refurbished.....Also chack by dollar in GRX database they informed me by mail iPhone unbroken date with production date also same. Model 1st letter define Refurbished or not but how...

Nov 19, 2017 10:45 PM in response to fan90

We do not care about this. We told you already it's refurbished. If they told you it was new, deal with them. As for your claims in the post about IMEI, that's crap.

Don't believe what you read. Your phone is refurbished. Period. If you have a problem, deal with the person who sold it. You should be thankful it's not blacklisted. Don't go on about how much it costs because I'll shoot that down quickly. I don't care about that.

One final time: Talk to the person who sold you the phone. We already told you that "F" means refurbished. You keep asking. It's either time to suck it up, or confront that person for lying. Your choice.

Nov 20, 2017 7:55 AM in response to fan90

Look, in one of your original posts you said you bought the phone from the Dubai Apple Store. Now you are saying the seller said if you can prove it is refurbished, he will exchange it. Which is the truth?

Did you purchase this device from an actual Apple retail store? If not, did you purchase it from an Authorized Apple reseller? If not, then the person you purchased it from knows that you cannot provide proof if it is refurbished or not, since that information is not really available anywhere, except the link that was provided to you earlier.

Again, what difference does it make if you purchased a refurbished phone. Depending on who did the refurbish, it is just as good as a new one. It doesn't even sound like you are having a problem with the device, you are just focused on the fact that it might be refurbished and that seems to be hurting your feelings.

Nov 20, 2017 11:40 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

sorry to say seller said he bought it from Dubai Apple store then I purchase it & yes I have only one problem with this phone after using few days auto rotate don’t work even rotate mode on/ off but don’t...the seller said if it Refurbished then with imei no information in any website is it true & I bought it 650us dollar.. but refurbished unit may 4/5 hundred dollar for this reason I also hurt. tha

Nov 20, 2017 11:32 PM in response to deggie

I think we don't understand this guy very well. We in the west are normaly buying only original stuff. When we enter a apple store we can be 100% sure the things are genuine there. But not all the world has this luxus. Many places in asia and africa sell fake products. And they are clever in concealing fake things. So buyers in this countries are much more concerned about fake or refurb products. This is my guess why he sounds so concerned. Maybe a normal refurb would have been much cheaper. I dunno.

Nov 20, 2017 11:58 PM in response to Driver8666

Your 100% right. This will be a learning lesson for him. And whenever something seems to good to be true, it's fake. Iphones all over the world have approximately a stable price. You can visit the local apple website and inform yourself about the offical prices, and you can check ebay for used prices. Any price deeply below this prices should be looked at very good and verified. Because nobody owning a original, functioning in good condition iphone for many hundreds less. Just my guess. And when you buy from a privat person i would be even more carefull. Who knows where this phone comes from. It could be a million things with it.

Nov 21, 2017 1:25 AM in response to Briansyddall

This is not the point. He's concerned that the seller lied to him. You're presenting an entirely different answer. He already has a problem with the rotation lock not working on his refurbished iPhone, despite me being quite condescending.

As for the answer from "from0toHero", from what I researched here in Canada, people do sell phones. Here's the problem. Before the 8 series and X came out, iPhone 7's and earlier had the "carrier lock" on them. Carrier branding is illegal in Canada. This means it would only work with one carrier unless either you paid off the contract (also known as subsidized), or bought them directly from Apple to use on a provider (also known as Bring Your Own Device. In this case providers must allow the phone on the network). On some listings according to ebay.ca, it is locked to a carrier. From a cursory glance, most are unlocked, or claim to be.

Here's another issue: Supposed that it's advertised as "unlocked" when in fact it is "locked" to a carrier. You would not know this until long after money exchanges hands. People will unload these onto other people and then have the phone blacklisted. This has happened. Also, the phone could've been stolen. We've already seen that here. The seller doesn't know the passcode (or password) to switch off the "Activation Lock". If you are the seller, this should've been done already. If it's not, serious red flag. In addition it might already be on the blacklist.

This is a sobering lesson for the OP however you look at it. And as I said before, ask a million and one questions the next time you are put in this spot. If even one answer in the sentence is off, walk away.

Nov 23, 2017 1:13 AM in response to Driver8666

from imei.info website I know that iPhone production date 16 May 2017 & purchase date 2 August 2017 & from iPhone GSX Check Service know first unbrick date 2 August 2017 & true unlock date 19 August 2017...this information by many website & payable GSX service not from seller. My qns is is that information is true?

my device iphone 7 32 GB mate black, in setting Model FN8X2LL/A & A1778..my qns is ..is it Refurbished or not.. how i know it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.