Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Task Host is stopping background tasks (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required)

Hello community,

I have a MBP 15 inch 2017 and am having constant problems on the Bootcamp side. While Booting and logging into Windows many times when I hit the Windows key (command key) the whole machine is hung. Everytime I go to reboot it I get the below error. During the same time I lose Bluetooth keyboard connectivity. Looking for help!

Task Host is stopping background tasks (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required)

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, Windows 10, Creator Build 1709

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2017 6:53 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Loner T! Long time!

Issue seems to be intermittent. I will have everything disconnected and it will reboot mostly fine. The only thing that is connected is a wireless mouse/dongle and a Bluetooth keyboard. Then I start adding devices one at a time (I have a OWC dock via USB-C to TB2 adapter) and when I login sometimes when I hit the Windows key i get a menu and other times I don't. Seems to be something around USB? I believe I saw it on my son's computer a day or two ago and he has nothing connected to his Windows PC/tower.

Nov 18, 2017 6:53 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Dick Richards In response to Dick Richards

Good to see you, too Dick Richards. 🙂

The USBc standard uses 2.4G band which can cause RF interference issues. For example, see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-i nterference-paper.html .

There is anecdotal evidence to support the notion that plugging storage close to wifi cards (coupled with a myriad other unknowns) causes malfunctions.

Having said that, your specific error indicates that a new device was discovered and there is a need for Windows to reboot to support it. Does this happen more frequently if you dynamically plug/remove devices in your OWC hub?

Nov 18, 2017 7:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 18, 2017 7:29 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Nope.. I can remove all devices when I get in with some luck and then plug things in and they work and don't need a reboot.

Another weird thing is that when this error occurs and decide to go into the Mac side with Option boot I get a bunch of errors too! I can send the log.. Errors state: Your computer was restarted because of a problem, etc etc... What? I was under the impression the Mac side was working great? I originally had it on High Sierra but reinstalled with Sierra because of the problems..

Nov 18, 2017 7:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

We are on the same page LT!! I am actually using Sentinel One but will be going back to Defender or Webroot. BTW - I just saw this post and rebooted three times with no error.. Will see tomorrow....

"Settings -> Accounts -> Sign In Options and turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or a restart."

Nov 19, 2017 9:11 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 9:13 AM in response to Dick Richards In response to Dick Richards

BTW - On something completely different I am trying to get my older MBP 13inch running Time Machine on my Time Capsule and it doesn't seem to work. Is it actually true TM won't work if you are APFS? I have seen conflicting articles..

Nov 19, 2017 9:13 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

BTW - On something completely different I am trying to get my older MBP 13inch running Time Machine on my Time Capsule and it doesn't seem to work. Is it actually true TM won't work if you are APFS? I have seen conflicting articles..

Nov 19, 2017 9:52 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2017 4:31 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

My MBP 2013 seems to kick off a backup no problem and I usually watch is for about 5 mins to make sure. I usually step away and then when I check it and it shows the below and the backup file is only 13 GB. I am not sure where to look at logs and such to troubleshoot?

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2017 4:31 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Dick Richards In response to Dick Richards

Under About This Mac -> System Report -> Hardware, there is a Hardware UUID and a Model Identifier.

Mount the Time Capsule disk in Finder by clicking on it. You may need to provide a password to connect to the TC disk. Once connected, there should be a folder which is named the same as your 2013 MBP name. Right-click on it and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Look for a file called com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist. Check that com.apple.backupd.HostUUID matches the Hardware UUID and com.apple.backupd.ModelID matches the Model Identifier of your Mac.

If the configuration looks valid, enable Automatic Backups. On the Mac, in Applications -> Utilities -> Console logs, in the top right Search box, type backupd and search. Look for any error messages.

Nov 20, 2017 6:38 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Dick Richards

Question: Task Host is stopping background tasks (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required)