Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Task Host is stopping background tasks (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required)

Hello community,

I have a MBP 15 inch 2017 and am having constant problems on the Bootcamp side. While Booting and logging into Windows many times when I hit the Windows key (command key) the whole machine is hung. Everytime I go to reboot it I get the below error. During the same time I lose Bluetooth keyboard connectivity. Looking for help!

Task Host is stopping background tasks (\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot required)

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, Windows 10, Creator Build 1709

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 12:24 PM

107 replies

Jan 12, 2018 5:09 AM in response to Loner T

Just tried the steps and got some weird stuff. I went into Disk Utility and highlighted my external SSD connected to my Thunderbolt and it lets me convert but when I try to convert my SSD on the USB to APFS it is greyed out (my OS drive).

Another weird thing - When exiting when I chose the option for "Choose my Start Up Disk" it then does NOT show the drive that I COULD convert!!! ;-( I also tried the Convert option through the Terminal..

diskutil apfs convert disk1

THEN ERROR

Error starting conversion from HFS to APFS: An HFS volume is required for this operation (-69837)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 15, 2018 8:20 AM in response to Dick Richards

If you current macOS drive is external, then after a APFS format, install macOS High Sierra, and check if it keeps the APFS format. The Installer is 'hardwired' as Using the macOS High Sierra OS installer’s startosinstall tool to avoid APFS conversion | Der Flounder shows.

Also, Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support has

When you install macOS High Sierra on the Mac volume of a solid-state drive (SSD) or other all-flash storage device, that volume is automatically converted to APFS. Fusion Drives, traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted. You can't opt out of the transition to APFS.

Formatting an external disk in APFS also disables portability to any other system except High Sierra or later.

Jan 21, 2018 6:44 AM in response to Dick Richards

If you use TM for a full restore, and the TM backup is JHFS+, such restores erase/reformat the destination so your APFS disk was converted back to JHFS+. But, if you restore specific user accounts and/or files, the disk does not need to be erased/formatted. This is what I had suggested earlier.

I suggest a clean install of HS, instead of a TM system restore. You can restore user accounts and files from the TM backup, if you choose.

From How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support,

Restore everything from a Time Machine backup

To completely restore your Mac, use the “Restore from Time Machine Backup” utility in macOS Recovery. The disk you're restoring is erased before receiving the macOS and other contents of your Time Machine backup.

To copy just your files, settings, or user accounts, use Migration Assistant.

Jan 10, 2018 1:25 PM in response to Dick Richards

Try

1. Boot the Mac into Recovery Mode by holding down the Command and R keys until you see the macOS Utilities screen.
  2. Open Disk utility.
  3. Choose your boot volume.
  4. Click on the Edit menu
  5. Click on Convert to APFS
  6. When prompted with “Would you like to convert <thenameofyourdrive> to APFS?” click on the Convert button.
  7. When the process is finished, click on the Done button.

Jan 21, 2018 8:34 AM in response to Dick Richards

Two different problems,

• Boot ability from an external APFS disk, vs,
  • Converting a non-OS disk from HFS to APFS.

The first is not supported (yet!), but should be later if Apple is pushing APFS across all. All external macOS boots still need HFS+. The other issue is HDDs cannot be APFS, based on the current design, so EFI supports APFS boot only from internal drives.

I installed HS on an external disk, because I did not want APFS on it, neither did I want APFS conversion on my internal Flash storage.

Nov 18, 2017 6:53 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T! Long time!

Issue seems to be intermittent. I will have everything disconnected and it will reboot mostly fine. The only thing that is connected is a wireless mouse/dongle and a Bluetooth keyboard. Then I start adding devices one at a time (I have a OWC dock via USB-C to TB2 adapter) and when I login sometimes when I hit the Windows key i get a menu and other times I don't. Seems to be something around USB? I believe I saw it on my son's computer a day or two ago and he has nothing connected to his Windows PC/tower.

Nov 18, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Dick Richards

Good to see you, too Dick Richards. 🙂

The USBc standard uses 2.4G band which can cause RF interference issues. For example, see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-i nterference-paper.html .

There is anecdotal evidence to support the notion that plugging storage close to wifi cards (coupled with a myriad other unknowns) causes malfunctions.

Having said that, your specific error indicates that a new device was discovered and there is a need for Windows to reboot to support it. Does this happen more frequently if you dynamically plug/remove devices in your OWC hub?

Nov 18, 2017 7:29 AM in response to Loner T

Nope.. I can remove all devices when I get in with some luck and then plug things in and they work and don't need a reboot.

Another weird thing is that when this error occurs and decide to go into the Mac side with Option boot I get a bunch of errors too! I can send the log.. Errors state: Your computer was restarted because of a problem, etc etc... What? I was under the impression the Mac side was working great? I originally had it on High Sierra but reinstalled with Sierra because of the problems..

Nov 19, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Loner T

We are on the same page LT!! I am actually using Sentinel One but will be going back to Defender or Webroot. BTW - I just saw this post and rebooted three times with no error.. Will see tomorrow....

"Settings -> Accounts -> Sign In Options and turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or a restart."

Nov 20, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Dick Richards

Under About This Mac -> System Report -> Hardware, there is a Hardware UUID and a Model Identifier.

Mount the Time Capsule disk in Finder by clicking on it. You may need to provide a password to connect to the TC disk. Once connected, there should be a folder which is named the same as your 2013 MBP name. Right-click on it and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Look for a file called com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist. Check that com.apple.backupd.HostUUID matches the Hardware UUID and com.apple.backupd.ModelID matches the Model Identifier of your Mac.

If the configuration looks valid, enable Automatic Backups. On the Mac, in Applications -> Utilities -> Console logs, in the top right Search box, type backupd and search. Look for any error messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.