Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 Word 15.14 update issue saving docx files

On my mid-2011 iMac running Sierra 10.12.6 and Office 2016, I updated Office to v 15.14. Now every time I open Word or go to save an existing .docx file it prompts me about a global format file type a bunch of times which I've never seen before. This is very annoying so I'm curious if anyone else sees this and if they've been able to turn off whatever it is that causes it. I'd love to revert to the previous version since I never had problems with it.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 10:59 AM

28 replies

Nov 18, 2017 2:36 PM in response to Kappy

I have posted in the MS community and the first response told me to update to High Sierra, but with all the problems I've been seeing others with earlier iMacs like mine having, I don't want to update until they're resolved. It doesn't make sense either. Below are the pop up messages I get; the first is when I open Word, the other two when I close it.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 18, 2017 8:02 PM in response to jontalk

OK. First, open Word if you can then in Open Recents, find your document to open. The use Save As to save it with a proper name on your Desktop or in the Documents folder. Be sure the extension is ".docx" as it should be. Then close the documents and open a new, empty document. You will do a Save As again. This time change the document's name to "Normal.dotm." Now, you need to navigate in the dialog to the /Users/your_account/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/User Templates/ where you will finally save the document to replace the old one.

If when you open your Home folder you cannot see a Library folder, then press COMMAND-J to open the View menu dialog.

User uploaded file Check the box labeled, "Show Library Folder" as you see in the image. The Library folder should now be visible in your Home folder.

I hope this isn't too opaque but if you have any problem let me know.

Nov 19, 2017 2:26 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy...please do your best to bear with me here. If you look at the screen shot of the disk you'll see there's no Home folder as you mention. When I close the good document, then go File>New Document, then Save as "Normal.dotm" I have to select a file format which I asked before. Instead of saving it as a .docx file do I save it as .dotm file? I asked before but I guess it slipped through the cracks. I'm in the SF area, Pacific time zone, 415-637-4011. Thanks. Jonathan

User uploaded file

Nov 19, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Kappy

As stated this is what opens when I to a Save As for the new document named "Normal.dotm" below. I doubt it makes sense to save it as both. Do I understand correctly that by saving it this new document using the drop down selecting the '.dotm' file format, we're creating a new template to replace the corrupt one or? I never created one to my knowledge in the first place, LOL User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2017 12:02 PM in response to jontalk

Having posted another discussion on the Microsoft forum, a different solution was offered. Opening Word preferences, then selecting File Locations>User templates>Modify I can see 3 of them; normal, normal.dotm, normal 2. The member states you rename them, but in my case, they're grayed out so when I click on them, nothing happens. At least I was able to find the user templates you mentioned. Sure is frustrating though.

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2017 1:52 PM in response to jontalk

1. In column 1 select the device (you selected "Untitled."
  2. In column 2 select Users.
  3. In column 3 select your Home folder and click to open the Finder's window.
  4. You should now be looking at the contents of your Home folder. If you do not see a Library folder, then press COMMAND-J to open the View menu as shown earlier. Check the box to Show the Library Folder.

Nov 18, 2017 4:04 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy..so you understand a bit better, after updating to 15.40, I clicked on a .docx file on my desktop, worked on it and when closing it, a global template window popped open which I'd never seen before. Not knowing what to do I might have done a save, which has obviously caused a problem, though I'm not sure why the global template warning opened in the first place. In answer to your question, when I open Word and see the first screen I obviously click "OK". The other two I click "Don't save". I'm not sure how to get the the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder since I've only been using Mac for a few months and have no idea where to input it.

Nov 19, 2017 10:27 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, thanks. Some questions surface due to unfamiliarity with some of these processes on a Mac. I have two documents saved in .docx file format on my desktop now. Since I've been working on one of them I imagine this would be the document you refer to in the first steps, correct? I can assure you that when I go to close it I will be barraged with prompts about the global template thing. Wouldn't it be better just to open a new document while the other is still open? Also when you say I should save the name of the document as "Normat.dotm" this is confusing since that's the file format I'm constantly being prompted about; please clarify. In addition, where do I find the directory to copy/paste: /Users/your_account/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/User Templates/ ?? And where is the Home folder you refer to located? Sorry I'm only about 4 mos or less using Mac so I haven't learned some of the deeper elements of the OS. Finally I'm wondering after doing the process and checking the 'show library folder' box, what happens then? Sorry I'm wanting to figure out the logic in the process so I understand more clearly. I'm a former tech exec though not from engineering or software so I enjoy learning anything new. Thanks. Jonathan

Nov 19, 2017 11:04 AM in response to jontalk

Check the filename extensions. I think your actual document was saved with the ".dotm" extension on the filename. Thus, the default template, Normal.dotm no longer exists, so the program wants to know if you want to save your document as a template. "Normal.dotm" is a document filename, not a file format.

I want you to double-click on your disk drive's Desktop icon to open a Finder window that will display the contents. You should see four folders: Applications, Library, System, and Users. Double-click on the Users folder to open a Finder window on its contents. You should see a folder with an icon that looks like a house. That is also referred to as your Home folder. All your data and files get stored in the Home folder. The filename under the Home folder's icon is the same as your user account name.

You may not see the /Home/Library/ folder because it is usually invisible. The instructions in an earlier post should help you make that folder visible.

I understand your computer ignorance. Not an issue. I will try to help as best I can.

Nov 19, 2017 11:31 AM in response to Kappy

Both of the documents on my desktop have been saved using the .docx file format. I just saved them again and was prompted asking if I wanted to replace and clicked 'yes'. Oddly when I opened the first one, I did not get prompted with the global template windows. There is no desktop icon for the disk drive on my system though when I click on Finder, under Devices it shows 2 listings; one with an iMac icon which has been named and another with the disk icon named 'untitled'. I've tried to copy/paste the disk icon but it won't let me. What shall I do now?

Nov 19, 2017 11:50 AM in response to Kappy

Navigating with my mouse to the Microsoft folder, inside it there's no folder with User templates only one maned MAU2.0 and inside that one it shows an icon with Microsoft AutoUpdate, nothing else. Pressing command J, the window opens but its missing the show library and others I see in the screen shot of yours; not sure why

Nov 20, 2017 2:10 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy...on my iMac 'untitled' is the disk drive since it was never given a name, nor do I know how to. When I open Finder preferences and check the box to show the disk, the disk icon says 'untitled' beneath it, so obviously its the right one. As to the previous answer you posted, you're saying that when prompted, I should save the "Normal.dotm" template as a .docx file? Sorry but this is challenging to say the VERY least.

2016 Word 15.14 update issue saving docx files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.