Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three pin smart connector is receiving charge from the smart keyboard

I got a iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB wifi only running on IOS 11.1.2

Has anybody experienced this with their ipad pro 9.7, when I flip the smart keyboard over or if I close it, it makes a sound as if you just plugged it in a charger. It also shows the battery charging logo on the screen. I thought that my out of warranty smart keyboard was conking out already. So I just bought the Logi Create Smart Keyboard. But same thing happens. I move it a bit or flipping th case over and it starts acting up like it just got plugged in a charger.

In theory, the three pin smart connector should only be outgoing - since it powers the keyboard. It shouldn’t be receiving any charge at all, especially from a keyboard.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 5:45 AM

6 replies

Nov 22, 2017 5:52 AM in response to Goshpare

Hi. This is very interesting. Since the keyboard supposedly has no battery, it's odd that it would be detected as a power source. I wonder if this is causing the normal charger to disconnect when the keyboard is connected, as reported in this link: Connection and Charging Issues. Please report this to Apple at this link: Feedback - iPad - Apple.

Nov 24, 2017 4:33 PM in response to Michael Black

Thanks for your feedback. Yes it’s weird. When it happens, it also resets the battery usage time and standby time back to zero.

It’s really like having the ipad plugged in a charger. You’re right, the smart connector on the ipad has only two jobs, one is the send power to the keyboard and second, the only thing it should receive is data from the keyboard.

It should not receive any power or charge at all.

Maybe it’s another bug from the ios 11.1 release

Three pin smart connector is receiving charge from the smart keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.