Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the notifications for the upgrade to macOS High Sierra?

I'm currently using macOS Sierra and my computer has a (what seems to be) daily notification to upgrade to macOS High Sierra. Does anyone know how to disable that "helpful" reminder as I do not intend to upgrade in the near term?

I don't remember prior upgrades being helped along by such a persistent notification, but that could just be me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 2:29 PM

I control/2-finger clicked on the update in App Store & chose 'Hide Update'.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

19 replies

Dec 7, 2017 1:56 PM in response to M_Holcomb

I found this here: How to download macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

If you want to install High Sierra later, just dismiss the notification. Install it at any time by opening the file named Install macOS High Sierra from your Applications folder, Launchpad, or Spotlight. Or delete the installer by dragging it to the Trash. You can always get it again from the App Store.

I gave that a try and will see if the notifications stop.

Feb 12, 2018 4:14 PM in response to M_Holcomb

That has been downright exasperating! Reminds me too much of Microsoft's premature updates and forced upgrades - didn't the computing world learn from those?

There are very good reasons why I can't upgrade to High Sierra yet (can't do it until I and others have finished researching compatibility issues with my current and legacy apps). I've been so afraid I'd accidentally install it and have to revert back and mess up so many things.

I finally found the solution: https://appletoolbox.com/2018/01/disable-macos-software-update-upgrade-notificat ions/
(it's so simple, it's crazy, but it most definitely was NOT intuitive)

How do I disable the notifications for the upgrade to macOS High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.