Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Visual Voicemail not working on iPhone X

I have contacted AT&T and opened a case ID and only to receive an e-mail stating that they do not see a problem on their end. I have tried to reset network settings and restart the phone, turn on airplane mode then turn off. I have no idea how to get visual voicemail. It only says to call voicemail. Any help would truly be appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply
15 replies

Dec 5, 2017 4:46 PM in response to dperez36

I have the same problem with iPhone X, also with AT&T. Using iOS 11.2. I was running iOS 11 on my iPhone 5s, didn't have an issue with Visual Voicemail. In my case I can see the voicemails in the Visual Voicemail screen, I can see the transcripts, but when I click Play nothing happens. Tried all the usual "solutions": turn phone on and off, hard reboot phone; reset network settings; enable/disable Airplane mode, nothing worked.

I also tried exporting the voicemails to Voice Memos but cannot play them. Additionally, I cannot record any voice memo - when I click the Record button nothing happens, which leads me to believe it is an Apple problem and not an AT&T problem. In any case when I went to AT&T they said it wasn't their problem as when I call my voicemail number manually I can hear all my messages.

Any help would be appreciated. Genius Bar staff basically told me they couldn't do anything and to just wait and maybe it would fix itself eventually. Don't quite think that answer's good enough.

Dec 5, 2017 4:57 PM in response to ozgod1

Yes I don’t think it’s an at&t issued they have opened up ticket requests and haven’t been able to fix the problem. I’m about to contact apple and hope I get a better answer than u to fix my X & my wife’s 8 plus visual voicemails that have not been working since we received our new phones. I will keep u posted and let you know what they say.

Jan 11, 2018 12:58 PM in response to dperez36

Ok so I am not the only one with this issue! I received a replacement iPhone X from Apple due to not being to hear from the speakers. Now this newer phone seems to have the visual voicemail issue-- I can see the message transcribed but when I hit play too, it doesn't do anything. I did all the steps that the Apple technician told me to do as well. She claimed it was because my old one still had my information synced. Hopefully the next update will fix this issue?

Jan 19, 2018 1:14 PM in response to dperez36

When I first received my iPhone X in November, I initially had this problem. After much discussion with AT&T, they said it was an Apple problem. The visual voicemail finally began working again after a software update. It worked fine until the last software update a few weeks ago. I just spent an hour at the AT&T store with a technician in person as well as one of their "master techs" on the phone. We did everything that AT&T could do, resetting the account, the password, and then resetting the iPhone X. Nothing worked. The AT&T master tech said that on their "problem tracking system", the problem that I was having was rapidly trending. They told me that everything is working on their system and that the problem is with Apple. I would like to know how to fix this without having to waste a bunch of time at the Apple store.

Jan 24, 2018 12:01 PM in response to dperez36

I have the same problem. VM is there and I'm able to get it if it's connected to my car or airpods but not directly from the handset. I spent 3 days and many hours on the phone with AT&T and they reset network settings, change vm passcode, reset up vm account, hard reset, turn off wifi, etc. Nothing works. It seems to be a software fault in communicating the vm to the handset's speakers as the vm works with bluetooth car speakers and headsets. Apple needs to issue an update.

Jan 24, 2018 2:38 PM in response to paradise808

When I first received my iPhone X in November, I initially had this problem. After much discussion with AT&T, they said it was an Apple problem. The visual voicemail finally began working again after a software update. It worked fine until the last software update a few weeks ago. I just spent an hour at the AT&T store with a technician in person as well as one of their "master techs" on the phone. We did everything that AT&T could do, resetting the account, the password, and then resetting the iPhone X. Nothing worked. The AT&T master tech said that on their "problem tracking system", the problem that I was having was rapidly trending. They told me that everything is working on their system and that the problem is with Apple. I would like to know how to fix this without having to waste a bunch of time at the Apple store.

Jan 24, 2018 2:47 PM in response to dperez36

I had Apple Support give me a call to work out the issue with visual voice mail the I previously described. Ultimately, we did a master re-set on the phone which did not fix the problem. Then we did a carrier (network) reset which did resolve the problem. I would surmise that it was possibly the combination done in that order that did the trick as I had previously done a carrier reset without success. The support person was very helpful and methodical.

Mar 4, 2018 2:19 PM in response to dperez36

I figured it out. First call yourself using the same phone and it will take you to set up a password set your password then pick default or make your own voice mail. After go to your calling app the one we’re you can see your recent calls and go all the way to the right we’re it says voicemail click set up and enter same password as the one you used when you called and set up again. You welcome! 😁👍

Visual Voicemail not working on iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.