Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.2 causes audible, mechanical Taptic feedback

On iPhone X, has anyone else been experiencing a seemingly mechanical sound when invoking a Taptic Engine feedback via, for example, reachability when you swipe back up to put the screen back to the top, or when bringing down control center and then swiping up out of it... my phone will make an audible “click” that sounds like metal to metal contact rather than a quiet haptic feedback before I updated to iOS 11.2. This sound doesn’t happen for scrolling through 3D Touch menus for example, so it’s not happening on ALL haptic feedback scenarios.

I’m going to try and downgrade to 11.1.3 or whatever it was previously and see if the issue goes away. But maybe it’s a new “feature” for iOS 11.2? I dunno ♂

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 7:56 AM

22 replies

Dec 6, 2017 9:09 AM in response to mdrodriguez4

Hello!

Same problem here! I even fully restored my device, no success in solving the problem.

I tried to do some tests to see if the issue is about the taptic engine or it is an audible issue. If you connect the headset, you will observe that the taptic engine reacts normaly, but instead you will hear that annoying "clicking" sound in the headset.

Hope the next update will solve this.

Jan 24, 2018 4:53 PM in response to oleksii905

Sorry you feel that way. I’ve confirmed it’s solved with the latest iOS update 11.2.5, others have as well. You can’t hide a mechanical hardware problem when it was non existent initially, then it appeared, and then it behaved as before it appeared. It’s illogical. If it were software and audible glitch, then that’d be much more plausible and probable. Not sure what practical explanation you can justify to explain a mechanical issue rather than software. For instance, the mechanical-sounding noise went away when I had Bluetooth earphones paired with the phone, why would a mechanical defect disappear when a Bluetooth earphone is paired?

Jan 24, 2018 5:17 PM in response to oleksii905

Right. Current can easily be a software problem. Sure, the hardware could be faulty, wrong transistors/resistors/transducers could be installed or defective or fail. But the amount of current (or voltage/amperage) can also be manipulated (e.g. Apple's recent backlash with slowing down iPhones with old/bad batteries by installing software to tell the phone to reduce voltage draw from the battery to the hardware, effectively slowing the processor speed to prevent hardware damage from under-voltage situations in high peak demand situations). So yeah, if you're thinking it's a power/current issue on the Taptic Engine, that could be a software fix. Different vibration modes could have their own "recipe" "or instructions" for current draw and maybe there were only a few vibrations that had bad recipes. Issue a software fix = correct bad recipe. Your friends don't all have that problem because software problems are almost always not 100% across the board, i.e. I never experienced the bug that would not let you type the capital letter "i", or the bug with typing "it", and most other recent bugs since the release of iOS 11 that have gotten all the bad press. So yeah, that's how.

iOS 11.2 causes audible, mechanical Taptic feedback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.