Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Bootcamp and Windows 10 Safe/Slow down Mac?

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with the TouchBar that I use for grad school every day. It's got decent specs - 500gb hard drive and 2.6 GHz i7, and 16gb of ram.

Main question would be: does installing Windows 10 via bootcamp slow down, cause possible downsides where one wouldn't want to dual boot etc on macOS? I say this because I haven't had much fantastic experiences when it comes to integrating MacOS with any other OS or file systems. Programs I run tend to go slower when I've bootcamped before, or I'll run into countless problems that just wouldn't occur on a cheap PC alternative. So I've never given it a full shot past maybe just a few months. On top of this, my laptop isn't a desktop with over TB of space etc. So I'm not sure if the OS would slow down with maybe 100gb less space. I'm currently at 300gb free. Lastly and this is more a side note but a lot of experienced colleagues have a distaste when it comes to Bootcamp so I'm not exactly sure if it's ever legitimate.

I use software for work that at this point won't keep effectively working with Fusion. So I have to bootcamp or buy a cheap alternative laptop. I don't like any hypervisors specifically because of the same latency issues. If anybody has had experience with this and can offer some words of wisdom I'd be greatly appreciative.

Much Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 3:39 AM

I have a MBP mid-2012 with 16gb ram and 500gb SSD. Intel dual core i5 3rd gen CPU.

I have boot camp dual boot installed with Sierra / Win-10-Pro.

No problems what so ever, Performs flawlessly in Win-10.

Everything works fine just like on a PC. Infact I think Win-10 performs better on my MBP than my Windows notebooks.

No, having boot camp installed does not slow down the mac.

Just exclude the Win-10 partition from Spotlight searches in your settings control panel.

I came from an UNIX/MS-Windows platform to the Mac. mainly because of boot camp and being able to have OSX and MS-Windows running on the same computer. However I have found that the more I use OSX the less I need MS-Windows. Infact I hardly ever boot in to MS-Windows.

I have my 500gb SSD divided up into 2 partitions 250gb each for OSX and MS-Windows.

After installing apps and my files I find that I have about half of each partition full.

And I have lots of apps installed. more than most people would.

So 250gb partitions for an operating system is not to small as long as you don't have lots of large files like music and videos saved to your SSD.

Here is a post I did a while back where I compared the performance of OSX and Win-10 on my MBP and

MS-Windows-10 performed better on the MBP than OSX did. However not by much.

( MBP-13 ) Win-10 performs better than OS-X

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2017 3:39 AM in response to alisheikhpour

I have a MBP mid-2012 with 16gb ram and 500gb SSD. Intel dual core i5 3rd gen CPU.

I have boot camp dual boot installed with Sierra / Win-10-Pro.

No problems what so ever, Performs flawlessly in Win-10.

Everything works fine just like on a PC. Infact I think Win-10 performs better on my MBP than my Windows notebooks.

No, having boot camp installed does not slow down the mac.

Just exclude the Win-10 partition from Spotlight searches in your settings control panel.

I came from an UNIX/MS-Windows platform to the Mac. mainly because of boot camp and being able to have OSX and MS-Windows running on the same computer. However I have found that the more I use OSX the less I need MS-Windows. Infact I hardly ever boot in to MS-Windows.

I have my 500gb SSD divided up into 2 partitions 250gb each for OSX and MS-Windows.

After installing apps and my files I find that I have about half of each partition full.

And I have lots of apps installed. more than most people would.

So 250gb partitions for an operating system is not to small as long as you don't have lots of large files like music and videos saved to your SSD.

Here is a post I did a while back where I compared the performance of OSX and Win-10 on my MBP and

MS-Windows-10 performed better on the MBP than OSX did. However not by much.

( MBP-13 ) Win-10 performs better than OS-X

Does Bootcamp and Windows 10 Safe/Slow down Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.