Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Amazon Prime Video App streaming in 4K to Apple TV

Is Amazon Prime Video App streaming in 4K? I cannot seem to play 4K format on my Apple TV 4K version.

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 6:54 AM

So out of the blue I got a call from Apple support yesterday regarding my post(s) here. They asked me to elaborate on the problem (Amazon Prime stalls when trying to stream 4K to my Samsung 4K (pre-HDR) tv, even though the Prime app on the TV itself streams 4K just fine). They had me duplicate the problem and record an analytics file which was then AirDropped from the ATV to my mac and then uploaded to Apple. Very cool. Very responsive. Hope they can see and fix whatever is going on. Thanks, Apple.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 6:54 AM in response to namron1947

So out of the blue I got a call from Apple support yesterday regarding my post(s) here. They asked me to elaborate on the problem (Amazon Prime stalls when trying to stream 4K to my Samsung 4K (pre-HDR) tv, even though the Prime app on the TV itself streams 4K just fine). They had me duplicate the problem and record an analytics file which was then AirDropped from the ATV to my mac and then uploaded to Apple. Very cool. Very responsive. Hope they can see and fix whatever is going on. Thanks, Apple.

Dec 7, 2017 2:17 PM in response to namron1947

Namron1947

Assuming you have all the compatible hardware an internet connection that’s able to stream 4K Amazon does have a limited selection of 4K content.

1. Open Amazon Video on your HDR-compatible TV.
  2. Scroll down until you find the carousels labeled "Included with Prime Ultra-HD TV" or "Ultra-HD Movies."
  3. TV shows and Movies available in HDR can be identified by looking for the "HDR" or "Dolby Vision" badge on the detail page for a particular title.

Dec 7, 2017 4:42 PM in response to namron1947

The problem seems to be that the HDR content is extremely limited and it can be hard to find.

Amazon may have beat Netflix to the HDR party, but it’s just as tricky to find HDR-ready content in its Prime Video app. Like Netflix, the best it offers is an HDR logo next to selected titles. At present, some of the available titles include:

• Fury
  • Men in Black 3
  • Smurfs 2
  • After Earth
  • Pineapple Express
  • Chappie
  • The Amazing Spiderman 2
  • Salt
  • Hancock
  • Elysium
  • Transparent S1 & S2
  • Mozart in the Jungle S1 & S2
  • Man in the High Castle
  • Bosch S1 & S2 (on 3/11)
  • Red Oaks
  • Mad Dogs
  • Casanova
  • Highston
  • Z
  • One Mississippi
  • Edge
  • The Patriot
  • Good Girls Revolt

Dec 7, 2017 7:45 PM in response to namron1947

After all this long wait to get Amazon Prime on Apple TV, I am disappointed now that it’s actually here. Besides the lack of 4k streaming reported here, the app is clunky in that you can’t rent or buy a movie in the app (as you can with Apple TV movies or shows), but have to do it separately on your computer or other device and then return to the ATV Amazon app to watch it. That pretty well ensures I would do all my renting or buying in Apple’s movie app rather than the Amazon Prime app. Yes, there are some good shows free to Prime subscribers, but many are already available on other apps which perform better. Along with the lack of 4k streaming, and stereo only sound reported on another Discussion item here, I really don’t see much that’s very impressive. Yep, disappointed indeed. If anyone can tell me why I shouldn’t be, I will welcome it.

Jan 6, 2018 10:48 AM in response to namron1947

I have the same issue. I have a 4K TV (non HDR 4k TV) with Apple TV 4K. Netflix 4k works 100%. So does iTunes 4k content. Amazon Prime Video... nothing. Normal HD content plays fine on PV, but HDR content just hangs. Spent 4 hours with Amazon and in the end they couldn't assist or tell me what the problem was. Useless app. Very disappointed with Apple Tv 4k and lack of content from Apple (I know.. have patience)... if it wasn't for Netflix, I would've returned it. PS. Apple, please put a 4K content bar for the SA iTunes Movie store, as you do with US... so it is easier to find 4k content (we don't get SIRI on Apple TV 4k in SA to help)

Jan 6, 2018 11:11 AM in response to ruaan

the input would not be marked HDCP, it just needs to be HDCP compliant. In my case I have 4 HDMI inputs on my Samsung but only HDMI 4 was HDCP compliant. I looked up on Google what input would work and found the specs for my specific Samsung model, or you can just try all the HDMI inputs to see if any will work for Prime Video 4K

Jan 11, 2018 9:30 AM in response to namron1947

Hi,

I had some trouble also with Amazon Prime Video on my Apple TV 4K.

Everything was working fine with HDR movies but one day, impossible to play HDR videos.

And I found the solution (by only thinking about what I changed in my configuration ...):

Check in Apple TV Setting - Video & Audio - Check your cable or Format - You should have 4K HDR selected and the requirement is to have the right cable. In my case, my Apple TV was directly connected to my LG 4K TV and I had a second cable connected from my LG 4K TV to my Sony Soundbase. And I decided to change the connection in order to listen music without letting my LG 4K TV switch on. So, I connected my Sony Soundbase to my Apple TV 4K, big mistake! As my Sony Soundbase is not 4K compliant, my Apple TV 4K selected the format 4K SDR (without notify me ...) and Amazon Prime Video was not able anymore to play HDR videos ...

Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2018 11:25 PM in response to namron1947

Hi everyone the below is what I got back from Amazon,

None of the "Prime Video" 4k Videos want to play on my apple TV.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Amazon Technical Support.

From your e-mail I understand that you would like to stream Ultra HD 4K Prime Videos on your Apple TV.

I regret to inform you that Ultra HD videos are currently not supported on Apple TV. I'm sorry about the disappointment this might have caused.

At this time, you can watch Prime Video in 4K Ultra HD on the following devices:

- Samsung Ultra HD TVs (2015 models or later)

- Sony Ultra HD TVs (2015 models or later)

- LG Ultra HD TVs (2015 models or later)

I accept that it would be better if Ultra HD videos are supported on Apple TV as well. I will consider this as a feedback on your behalf and forward it to the concerned team internally.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Jan 17, 2018 6:14 AM in response to hansfu

hansfu, the info Amazon sent you is not correct. It is either old information or applies to older, pre-4K Apple TV's. If you have a 4K HDTV with a HDCP compliant HDMI input and if you have a 4K Apple TV you can watch Amazon Prime 4K videos. The trick in my case, and for several others here, was to find the correct HDMI port on your TV. (I should also add that if you are running HDMI through an audio receiver the receiver must be able to pass through the 4K signal as well. If you're not sure, bypass the receiver and connect the Apple TV directly to your TV. Try different ports until you find the HDMI input that works).

Is Amazon Prime Video App streaming in 4K to Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.