Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 causing Finder crash

Since updating to MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (from 10.13.1), I cannot connect to my NAS unit or other computers on the network, and in attempting to do so, Finder crashes and will not relaunch. I cannot find a fix to this problem, and as a consequence, my MacBook Pro (with TouchPad 2016) has become an island. I share files between computers on the network as part of my work process so this is a pretty big issue.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 2:12 AM

Had the same issue after installing the 10.13.2 update... I should have listen to my intuition not to install it after failing twice! It has been real headache to install the said update which has messed up big time and apparently many users...

Now I've seen some of the answers here below and you could also install macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 beta update, it worked out for me and stabilized the entire OS High Sierra system, but you need to subscribe to the Apple Beta program first! here is how:

Subscribe to Apple Beta:

Apple Beta Software Program

AppleConnect Sign In

enroll your Mac

Download Feedback Assistant:

Feedback Assistant

Do another backup with Time Machine:

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Once done then go to App Store and update the above mentioned update!

Let me know if it was helpful and more importantly, in a later stage if you have resolved this issue, as it seems that there are a high volume of issue with the 10.13.2 update, and it would be important to inform other users of a way to resolve it!

Good luck!

157 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 2:12 AM in response to lfuller105

Had the same issue after installing the 10.13.2 update... I should have listen to my intuition not to install it after failing twice! It has been real headache to install the said update which has messed up big time and apparently many users...

Now I've seen some of the answers here below and you could also install macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 beta update, it worked out for me and stabilized the entire OS High Sierra system, but you need to subscribe to the Apple Beta program first! here is how:

Subscribe to Apple Beta:

Apple Beta Software Program

AppleConnect Sign In

enroll your Mac

Download Feedback Assistant:

Feedback Assistant

Do another backup with Time Machine:

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Once done then go to App Store and update the above mentioned update!

Let me know if it was helpful and more importantly, in a later stage if you have resolved this issue, as it seems that there are a high volume of issue with the 10.13.2 update, and it would be important to inform other users of a way to resolve it!

Good luck!

Jan 4, 2018 12:22 PM in response to lfuller105

I finally managed to solve it...

This fixed it for me, although I am running on 10.13.2. I am working for a couple of hours now on SMB shares without a single problem. Wasn't able to do that for more than a minute.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208317

1. Open the Terminal app, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Type
    sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC
    and press Return.
  3. Enter your administrator password and press Return.
  4. Quit the Terminal app.

Good luck!

Dec 16, 2017 10:31 AM in response to lfuller105

Dear all,

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Os X version 10.13.2 (17C88) and I have the same issue.

I never experienced such Finder crash in any of the previous versions of operating system so I guess it was introduced with 10.13.2. In my case I connect to my company's Windows servers both at home via Cisco VPN and at work. In case of using the VPN, the Finder crash and the associated forced reboot was almost instantaneous upon connecting to the share and starting browsing through the folders or copying files.

I did the following and now it seems that the issues is solved :

1. booted the rMBPro in safe mode

2. rebooted the rMBPro normally

3. I now use cifs:// instead of smb:// for mounting Windows shares.

... not sure if the "cycle" in safe mode is necessary.

I hope that this might help.

Jan 9, 2018 12:21 PM in response to lfuller105

Apple has addressed this here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209

Specifically, here are commands to try:

Speed up browsing on network shares

To speed up SMB file browsing, you can prevent macOS from reading .DS_Store files on SMB shares. This makes the Finder use only basic information to immediately display each folder's contents in alphanumeric order. Use this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE

Then log out of your macOS account and log back in.

Force the Finder to gather all metadata first

Alternatively, you can force the Finder in macOS 10.13 High Sierra to always collect complete metadata before displaying folder contents, matching the file browsing behavior of macOS 10.12 Sierra and earlier. Use this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices UseBareEnumeration -bool FALSE

Then log out of your macOS account and log back in.

Dec 9, 2017 1:59 AM in response to lfuller105

Same here - we have 50+ Macs over 8 sites connecting to Windows 2012r2 servers and we are having it all over. Major fail in the latest update.

Ive deleted login items from startup. deleted the keychain, deleted any shortcuts and reset the smb mounts to share but it will still happen sporadically.

Major Fail from Apple and if it doesn't get patched we are going to have to roll back to Sierra.

Dec 13, 2017 2:50 PM in response to lfuller105

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm forced to restart my Macs in order to regain Finder functionality. This is only a temporary fix - until Finder crashes again (Finder crashed at least 6 times today on my MacBook Pro; 5 times on iMac; 4 times on Mac mini)

Details:

- iMac 27" (Late 2015) Core i7 24 GB Memory 256 GB storage

- MacBook Pro 13" TouchBar (Late 2016) Core i5 8 GB memory 256 GB storage

- Mac mini (Late 2014) Core i5 8 GB memory 1 TB Fusion Drive

- all Macs running MacOS Sierra 10.13.2

- iMac/Mac mini connected via ethernet

- MacBook Pro connected wirelessly via 'UniFi AP AC HD', UniFi Security Gateway 3p (DPI enabled)

Dec 15, 2017 6:48 AM in response to ktm530

Then if it is not OS related that might a system and applications conflict!

Try booting in safe mode see if it happens again, and if not then narrow it down to the app creating the crash...

Otherwise a system report from https://etrecheck.com (is one to the most complete system report and quite helpful...) on your post and someone might be able to pinpoint from where the issue is coming!

Dec 18, 2017 5:44 AM in response to andy72

Alredy try, but dosn't work

Without /etc/nsmb.conf

Command smbutil statshares -m /Volumes/Serverfolder/ report:

================================================================================ ==================

SHARE ATTRIBUTE TYPE VALUE

================================================================================ ==================

Serverfolder

SERVER_NAME ILDOM

USER_ID 2133810752

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED

SMB_VERSION SMB_3.02

SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK

SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_REQUIRED TRUE

EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE

LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE

CLIENT_REQUIRES_SIGNING TRUE

FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

DFS_SUPPORTED TRUE

FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED TRUE

MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED TRUE

DIR_LEASING_SUPPORTED TRUE

ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_ON TRUE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

After the creation of /etc/nsmb.conf whith that content:

[default]

signing_required=no

Unmount, mount again.

Command smbutil statshares -m /Volumes/Serverfolder/ report:

SHARE ATTRIBUTE TYPE VALUE

Serverfolder

SERVER_NAME ILDOM

USER_ID 2133810752

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED

SMB_VERSION SMB_3.02

SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK

SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_REQUIRED TRUE

EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE

LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE

FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

DFS_SUPPORTED TRUE

FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED TRUE

MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED TRUE

DIR_LEASING_SUPPORTED TRUE

ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_ON TRUE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Exactly the same.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 causing Finder crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.