Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2012 battery disconnect

Hi

I was wondering if it's safe to disconnect the battery from my 2012 MacBook Pro. What I mean is open the case and simply disconnect it and leave the battery inside. The reasoning is that I get this burning smell at times because I had let the MacBook sit for months at a time without turning it on.

I only use my MacBook to DJ and as such I always have it plugged in and it never runs on battery power.

So my question is. Can I open the MacBook and unplug the battery from the motherboard? Is it safe to do this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Macbook 2012

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 8:43 AM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2017 9:30 AM in response to JumpinJim75

Replacement depends on the exact sub-model. The 13-inch 2012 non-Retina model was in continuous production until Oct 2016. According to Apple's stated policy they will provide repair parts for five years following the date of last production. For the non-Retina 13, that means Oct 2021. Nice.

I just answered another person's very similar question before seeing your response. As I am the world's most awkward typist, allow me to suggest you see my post in this thread:

Is it possible to get the battery replaced for my MacBook Pro early 2011? If yes where?

Dec 10, 2017 9:03 AM in response to JumpinJim75

I would remove the battery if that model permits (I believe it does). A battery should not smell and, if it does, could indicate that part of it has split open. That causes two things, both horribly bad:

1) The goop inside the battery leaks, destroying the logic board and anything else it touches including the aluminum case.

2) The battery expands taking bending the entire case assembly and rendering the keyboard and trackpad inoperative.

Of course, both could happen. No joy in that either.

Dec 10, 2017 9:08 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan

Thank you for the reply.

So it would probably be better simply to remove the battery. This makes more sense as I only use it when i DJ and I use AC power.

I've watched some videos online on how to replace the battery and it seems quite. Are there any places online that I could order a new battery and simply replace it? I can't seem to find anything.

Macbook pro 2012 battery disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.