Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows taking over MAC

I have late 2009 iMAC 21.5" with MacOS 10.12.6 with Windows for Mac. When Finder opens Documents, Windows takes control and displays only Windows docs. How do I over ride this default and display ALL my documents?

OBS,iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), iOS 10.3.3, Actually 10.12.6 but not on list

Posted on Dec 10, 2017 11:32 PM

50 replies

Dec 11, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Csound1

Here is a screen shot of Documents, entered thru Pages, it shows ALL files, those that are not Pages are grey and cannot be opened. Pages files are bold black.

The bit I do not get is why does Finder take me to a document folder that is in 'Recent' but is not THE Document folder!!

The Document window in the centre top with up/down arrows, allows me to navigate to folders within Documents. The place Finder takes me to does not have this window and only contains the MS Office stuff. See screenshot from earlier.

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2017 9:06 AM in response to ChalkieJbay

ChalkieJbay wrote:

No idea how to post a screenshot. Born BC :-)

Press Command-Shift-3 to take a shot of the entire screen;

press command-Shift-4 to take a shot of an area of the screen: the cursor changes shape; drag to select the area you want.

In both cases, by default the screenshot is saved to a png file on your desktop folder.

To insert an image (screenshot or other) in your post, just click the camera-shaped icon above the text area and select the file you want.

Dec 11, 2017 9:05 AM in response to ChalkieJbay

ChalkieJbay wrote:

Windows for Mac is software I purchased that lets Windows work on Mac (I needed it for work purposes and was supplied by the company for all) but does not use a partition in the HDD as far as I know. Unfortunately it kinda takes over and annoys me.

So, it is a virtual machine (a Mac program that can emulate Windows but is not Windows) follow Eric's advice.

Dec 11, 2017 10:40 AM in response to Csound1

Well I am sorry if you feel I am dumb, or if you are having a bad day. I do apologise for intruding.

I am even more confused now as I have many documents with .doc and .docx or .xls or .xlsx all of which I assumed were Windows documents, but aparrently are not.

Thank you for your help I stumbled across the problem whilst searching for file extensions. There are 2 folders named Documents. I will delete the one.

Dec 11, 2017 11:08 AM in response to ChalkieJbay

You should not be able to delete from the Recent Places list, it only contains a list of places you have recently been to. You have one (only) Documents folder, it is in the sidebar to the left, it is the only documents folder and apart from Microsoft User Data (Office files) and some recipes is empty. Microsoft User Data only shows files created by Office.

Going to Documents via Pages only shows Pages files, not all files.

Dec 11, 2017 11:26 AM in response to ChalkieJbay

I never use Microsoft products so do not know if or why they would make a separate Documents folder when they already have a Microsoft User Data folder, just another reason to not use Microsoft products it seems to me. You will have to ask Microsoft why it is there and what it is for.

If you never use Microsoft products on your Mac it will be a good thing.

Windows taking over MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.