Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari new popup window problem

For a while, when I go to a new web page in Safari on my iMac, it happens very often that the content on that web page opens up in a SECOND browser window on top of the ordinary web page. This new window always has a white background and displays only text and simple images from what looks like the main article on that page. If I click besides this browser window (on the ordinary web page in the background), the window disappears and I can scroll on the total page.

I can't figure out how to get rid of this - feature or bug or whatever. Any clue?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), iPad 3, iPhone5

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:19 AM

In Safari - Preferences - Websites - Reader : Select & remove or modify any shown sites, then change 'when visiting other sites' to Off if that is your preference.

The darker (meaning active) Reader icon just to the left of the web address shows that.

Safari Websites preferences - Apple Support

11 replies

Dec 12, 2017 9:00 AM in response to Helge Krabye

Enter in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder

Find folders Caches , Cookies , Saved application State , Safari ( select all contents use command and A ) , delete them ( command and delete button on the keyboard ) to the trash .

Find folder Preferences > drag and drop com.apple.safari.plist to the trash , restart the machine and empty the trash , you have to once again set the home page an article for it Set your homepage - Apple Support

Also read some articles If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support

Make a good practice of deleting all history and website data .

Verify is the issue persisting in new user account also an article for it How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

And , avoid using third party add ons , cleaners , anti virus in Mac .

Lastly running SMC , safe mode , NVRAM / PRAM are also to be considered and can be applied .

Dec 12, 2017 7:43 AM in response to Eric Root

If this happens on a web page, it happens every time I go to that page. It seems random to me (but of course there must be an explanation) which web sites behave like this. The answer (url) you suggested, is not the same problem that I have. No new tabs are opened, just a new "document" over the ordinary web page. If we were allowed to attach images in this forum, I could upload a screenshot.

Dec 13, 2017 12:43 AM in response to Helge Krabye

🙂 Thanks !

Remove caches , cookies contents from user library after a month or two , these are temp files accumulating , restart the Mac and empty the trash , Mac users avoid deleting them and that has to be done .

In your case the data was also stored in saved application state deleting the contents helped .

The last option was resetting safari in very rare case " entire safari folder " contents from user library are removed and the plist for safari that was mentioned .

These are the basic tricks to resolve safari corruptions .

Safari has inbuilt feature to create new contents immediately , also sometimes deleting the complete " safari folder " from the user library is done but that is also very rare and is performed according to situation , not occasionally .

Restarting the Mac and emptying the trash creates new safari folder .

Dec 14, 2017 9:17 AM in response to Helge Krabye

I hope you have not installed anti-virus software. That can make things much worse. Posting a snapshot of your configuration can ofter allow us to quickly resolve a problem. Fortunately there is a safe and secure way to do that.

A respected and long-serving member of these communities has created a simple utility that will take that "snapshot" of your configuration without revealing any sensitive information about you and your computer. It does not run in the background and therefore creates no performance penalties. It is Etrecheck, and is available here:

http://etrecheck.com/

Run it and, when its report displays, click Etrecheck's "Share Report" icon and then "Copy Report" from the resulting dropdown. Paste the entire report into a response to your own thread here. It will often allow us to quickly identify or eliminate software as the problem.

Safari new popup window problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.