Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading OS on an old mac

I operate a mid-2007 Mac desktop with El Capitan 10.11.6. I just bought my wife a new iPad, and we're trying to set up iCloud so we can share files. Is this even feasible on my old Mac? Can I upgrade the OS to make it compatible with the iPad?

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Serial Number (system): W87483VSX89

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63BD8B24

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:43 AM

Hi, El Capitan is the last OS X you can use with that machine.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-20-inch-alumin um-specs.html

You should still be able to use iCloud though, System Preferences > iCloud, make sure you sign in with the same Apple ID on your iPad and iMac.

16 replies

Dec 12, 2017 7:20 PM in response to adamcig

OS X 10.11 El Capitàn can support the latest iTunes.

If you still want to store apps on iTunes locally, I would recommend install iTunes 12.6.3.

The current iTunes 12.7 no longer stores apps locally within iTunes any longer.

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

iTunes 12.6.3 download, located in this link, I believe still works with the newest iDevice models.

Good Luck to You!

Dec 13, 2017 9:44 AM in response to MichelPM

There was a post about how to downgrade in the Water Cooler when iTunes 7 was first released.

See Managing apps with iTunes 12.7 or later. As well as installing iTunes 12.6.3 one should revert to a pre iTunes 12.7 version of the database. This can be found in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder, Time Machine, or similar. iTunes 12.7 should not have cleared out your Mobile Applications folder. Note that most newer apps will be app thinned versions that don't sync from device to library, so your library may not have held all of the apps you expected it to have. You can download your apps collection with iTunes 12.6.3.

tt2

Dec 13, 2017 9:22 AM in response to adamcig

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Dec 13, 2017 9:33 AM in response to adamcig

adamcig wrote:

Thanks. I have 12.7.2.58 iTunes. Do you mean i have to go backwards?

You’re too late to do this, now.

I have heard downgrading to an earlier version of iTunes was problematic.

So, if it is possible, I have no real idea on how to do the iTunes downgrade to 12.6.3.

I didn’t upgrade to 12.7 because I was holding out hope that Apple would do another update to iTunes 12.6 to still be able to support saving apps within iTunes locally.

So, I can't give you any other advice or procedures on how to performs this, if wish to downgrade iTunes back to 12.6.3.

Sorry.

Upgrading OS on an old mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.